On the run

Who are you guys?

When I finally regained some senses, my head was resting on someone's shoulder. I noticed that there were sweat beads on my forehead. The air around me felt stuffy and tense. 

Someone wiped my sweat off and left their hand on my forehead. 

"Hey, someone unwind the windows. She needs some air."

Dave's voice. 

I shuffled, moving my head to look up at him.

"You're awake." He let out a relieved sigh and reached his hand out for my forehead again.

His eyes met mine. 

"How are you feeling?"

I tried to clear my throat. 

"Alright, I think." I whispered.

I couldn't sit up and weakly fell back onto my seat. Resting my head, I studied my surroundings. 

We were back in my car. With all four men. It was still dark but the storm had subsided. We were once again accelerating.

I directed my gaze towards Dave, the only one I semi-trusted.

"Where are we going now? Why-"

"Just do what we say and you'll be fine." The voice came from the driver.

Dave faced me, wanting to say something. He hesitated, creaselines forming along his forehead.

Dray interrupted.

"I don't understand why we're being so nice with her. Just tell her the truth."

Dray gave me a hard look. The playful signs I had witnessed from him that afternoon was now replaced with a serious expression.

"There are people chasing after us. They're behind us. Right now. If we can't get away... say good bye."

He hunched back into his corner, deep in thought. As I followed him with my eyes, I noticed that he was wounded. His arm was bleeding and he had secured it with his jacket as a sling.

Suddenly, a thundering explosion behind us sent the car into a frenzy, as we travelled the deserted roads in a zigzag like fashion. I screamed as the car swerved and changed directions in the chase. Dave pulled me towards him and leaned over to roll up the windows. 

"Cam, we need to leave the car."

I saw Cam give a nod through the mirrow. 

"Yoie and Dray- leave the car through the left side. Go into the house on the side of the road and try find shelter. If we don't join you two in ten minutes, come out and find us. Dave and I will distract them and come meet you guys later-"

Dave interrupted. "But how about..." his voice trailed off, looking at me. 

Cam glanced at me quickly and hesitated.

"Ok, she can go with Yoie and Dray." I heard those two give a sigh. 

Being partnered up with me is a pain. At that moment, I really wanted to know who we were running away from. 

I was about to start my question but the car skid to a dangerous stop. 

"Everyone understand? Go! Good luck." Cam gave us all a look and jumped out of the car. The rest followed suite. 

My body tensed and I felt sick and scared. I sat in the car, dazed, unable to move. Dave reached out to squeeze my hand. 

"Be strong. You can do it."

We all got out of the car and the rest was havoc. There were four cars behind us and they all got out of their cars too. Big bulky men started shouting profanity. Some were holding knives. 

I looked for Yoie and Dray desperately. Where did they go? Dave and Cam had already started running. 

"Hurry up girl!" It was Dray and he dragged me away as quickly as he could. Us three ran and ran. We saw a corner and skidded towards it. Most of the crowd had gone after Cam and Dave, but there were still four or five after our team. I couldn't run fast at all and skidded on the slippery grass. It had started raining again and I was devoid of energy.

The other two boys kept running and I screamed for them to come back for me. Looking frantically behind me, the men were catching up in the chase. I was a goner for sure. Yoie noticed and dragged Dray back. They each grabbed me by the arm and urged me to run faster. Now drenched in dirt, I ran for my life. 

We ran and ran and after sometime, lost the others. Dray's jacket was lost in the encounter and now blood was dripping down on the muddy ground. 

"Hey man, you okayy?" Yoie asked.  We both looked at Dray, but he was only looking at one thing.

He pointed.

"The house Cam was talking about. We found it."