My escape

Who are you guys?

Loud knocks echoed through the room and I woke, startled. It was now the morning and the sun was gleaming through the window. I got up and walked towards the door. Looking through the key hole, I saw Dray and others behind him. Relieved, I unbolted the door and let them in.

I stood back and saw them file in one by one. First Dray,whose arm had gotten a lot better over the last few hours. Next walked in Yoie, giving a nod in my direction and taking his jacket off tiredly. Then Cam walked in, his eyes dark and emotionless. I waited for the last one to walk in before closing the door. 

But there was no one else.

Dread filled within me. How about Dave? Where's Dave? 

I ran past Cam and looked out the door. There was no one there. An empty garden stared dully back at me.

"But where's Dave?" I questioned the others. 

Dray suddenly hit the table with his fist and roared angrily.

"Dave was captured by the enemies." Yoie whispered. I looked at his tired eyes. He had been crying.

I was stunned by the news. Even though I didn't know Dave well at all, he had been helping me during my illness. If he hadn't been concerned about my safety, I would probably have fallen into the enemies' hands...

I caught Cam looking at me. 

"We're going back to save Dave tonight. It'll be dangerous. For making you involved in the first place..." he hesitated. "We're sorry." 

I caught Dray and Yoie nodding. 

"You can leave now." He chucked me a cellphone. "Use it to contact your family and make your way home. I'd say we're abot 4-5 hours from the city centre."

I stood there, shocked. I didn't understand why they would take me here and then make my leave. 

"Why..." 

They cut me off. It's because they needed urgent possession of my car back at the mall. They were being chased by those people who now have Dave. 

"We didn't let you go because it would be dangerous for you if they saw you leave our car. You could be their next target." Cam said, with his back to me.

 I understood now. Well I understood how I became involved... but definitely not why they were doing this. But I was tired and just wanted to go home. Why should I entangle myself in their business any further? 

Taking the cellphone, I turned to take my leave. 

"Hey wait." 

It was Dray.

"Well, what's your name? We have been through life and death you know.

I gave a slight smile and turned to look at the three guys. 

"Katie."

***

Cam told me to keep walking back to where he had parked my car earlier. It should be undamaged apart from the window at the back. Before I left, he had slipped $300 into my pocket without me realising. I held the cash, resenting at my sluggishness at even noticing.. 

As I approached the car, I felt confused that I was feeling almost sad that I had found freedom. It was as if a part of me was still left with that team of .. whatever they are. One part I knew was because I didn't get to say a proper good bye to Dave. 

I got into the front seat and ignited the engine. This time, there was no push, no steal and no kidnap. It was just me and the car again. Something felt weird.

I turned the engine off and sat there, in deep thought. Taking out the cell phone, I rang my mum to let her know I was okay and that I'd explain everything to her soon. I heard a branch being stepped on behind me so I turned around to look.

Two men. The ones from last night. My eyes grew wide, heart speeding up. Oh god... how did they know I was here? That's right, they must have guarded the car overnight.

I immediately locked the doors and turned the car on, the roaring of the engine temporarily hiding the loud beating of my heart. I slammed down on the pedal just before they reached my car. Shaking, I willed myself to stay calm and to keep driving straight. The problem was, I didn't know which direction to go to get home. I continued driving in a straight path, as fast as possible. Before long, I noticed that there was a car following me. Dread filled my blood and bones. 

I had no idea what to do. No idea at all. At that point, I found myself wishing that if the other guys were here, they'd think of a solution. They were way faster at thinking on their feet than me. A crazy idea emerged that I should drive to them and ask them for help. But no, Katie! If you do that, you'll expose their hiding spot. No, no, no! As I frantically thought and drove at the same time, I noticed someone standing on the side of the road and waving to get my attention.

It was Cam.