A casual stroll through the department store

Who are you guys?

A man hurriedly pushed past me as he ran after his wife, who had excitedly run through the aisles of christmas specials and deals of the month. 

"Honey, wait for me!" he sighed, shaking his head in amusement.

I watched as they ran away before I let my own eyes wander through the massive posters and displays in the shop. Someone casually put their arm around my shoulder and I turned around to see my friend, Suzy. 

"What are you looking at Katie?" she asked me, swinging her beautiful wavy hair in the direction of my sight. 

"Nothing, haha. Hey Suzy! Look at all these sales. Looks like I'll have to spend all my Christmas money here and now!"

We laughed and hand in hand, pushed through the crowd to find our other friends. As we approached the group of girls, I heard my phone ring.

Signalling for Suzy to go on without me, I answered.

It was mum.

"Hey Katie, do you mind coming home early? I want to go and pick up your younger sister."

I hesitated but eventually promised her I would be home soon. I looked at my group of excited friends and immediately felt apologetic. I had promised them that we could go to karoake after the shopping spree. They're gonna kill me!

As I expected, the reaction definitely wasn't pretty. After Suzy gave me the hands on hips look, I was finally excused and I made me way towards the carpark.

Christmas sales donned every aspect of the mall. It was already the 22nd... three days until Christmas! How exciting!

I spotted my black car parked in a distance and made my way towards it. I inserted the ignition key and the radio started playing jingle bells. As I sat in the driver's seat, I thought back to the happenings a few days ago...

*18th Dec*

The doctor sat there looking at me, holding a pile of medical results. 

"Katie, it isn't as bad as you think."

I remember being perched on a little chair, heart beating like crazy, his every word echoing in my mind.

"Even though we've done many tests, we still don't know exactly what's wrong with you. I believe it's an anxiety disorder called social phobia."

"Social phobia... social phobia. SOCIAL PHOBIA." His words rang in my ears.

He noticed my horrified expression and sighed.

"Look, Katie... we can't really do anything about it at the moment. I've booked you in for some cognitive behavioural therapy with the psychologist in a few weeks time. Do me a favour and be strong this Christmas, ok?"

I clenched my weak fists together as hard as I could and gave him the most determined look I could muster.

"Ok, doc." I said, smiling weakly. 

 

*** I shook myself back to the present and looked at the time. 3:05pm. I should really get going or mum will freak.

Thinking I'd text her before I drove home, I started searching for my phone but realised I had chucked my handbag into the back seat.

Sighing, I got out of the driver's seat and walked over to the back of the car. As I reached in to grab my bag, a rough push from my back caused me to collapse onto the back of the seat. In despair, I tried to scream but someone had blocked my mouth and slammed the door in front of me. 

I heard my engine roar and realised in desperation that I had left my key in the ignition. Two guys opened the back door while another landed in the front passenger seat. The driver was already sitting there, I calmly observed. Sudden fear enveloped me as I realised that four people had entered MY car and are going to drive away with MY car. 

"What the hell are you guys doing here?" I screamed hoarsely. I started pushing them, trying to make them leave.

But it was all too late. The driver had stepped on the accelerator and we were already entering a highway.

Where are we going? I thought I was having the worst nightmare imaginable. Surely, this wasn't happening.

The guy next to me gave me one look and rolled his eyes. 

"Hey guys, why is she in here too??" He seemed to look at me in disgust.

Infuriated, I grappled for my phone. I needed to phone the police. 

He saw me try and grabbed me by the wrist.

"Oh noooo you're not. Don't even think about it." He grabbed my phone, bent over towards me and pushed the window down. And like that, he dangled my phone into the air.

And dropped it.

I heard it shatter onto the hard ground and as we accelerated, it was nothing more but a speckle. Broken, shattered. Like me.

I was so scared I started screaming at the top of my voice. I couldn't breathe. Let me out of here, I thought. Let me go.