Freedom - Taehyung

Run (BTS FanFic)

I was sat in the back of Namjoon's car, my head sticking out of the window. He was driving so fast that my hair wasn't hanging over my forehead like it usually did. We were driving again. It was Namjoon's idea.

We hadn't planned on finding the beach; we just saw a road sign and followed it. Simple enough. I stared up at the desolate, pale, cloudless, cool blue sky and closed my eyes. I breathed in the salty air, allowing it to sting my nose. I could feel the car slowing, so I reopened my eyes to the stunning scenery. The fluffy blue contrasted against the sunny, gold sand. The tires of the car skidded to a halt, tossing the minuscule specks of sand high into the air.

As the car finally came to a halt, Jungkook leapt out of the car, and I quickly followed him, sprinting towards the blue waves that were laced with white foam. It was cold, but I don't think anyone really cared. I closed my eyes again, but briefly. I let the rush of the ocean wrap around my toes and then withdraw, the sand enveloping my feet more and more with each surge of water that passed over me.

I looked back and saw Jimin with Hoseok perched on his shoulders, half asleep. Jin was spinning around with his camcorder, whooping. Namjoon was leaning against the car coolly, and he glanced around as he took out a cigarette packet. I scoffed and rolled my eyes. I thought I had helped him get rid of that nasty addiction months ago. I guess not. He caught sight of me and shook the packet upside down to prove that nothing was in there. All that fell out was a strawberry lollipop, fully wrapped. I sighed, chuckling to myself. Why was he so weird?

I tapped Jin gently on the shoulder, making sure not to startle him. He whipped around and shoved the camcorder lens in my face. "That'll be a nice close-up," I remarked, pushing Jin's hand away from me.

"Sure will!" He smiled.

"Follow me, I've thought of an idea for a cool shot," I told him. I took off towards some rusty abandoned scaffolding that had caught my eye earlier. With the sky tinged the colour of pale clementines in the background, it almost looked unreal. Jin was behind me, focusing his camera on the view. I stood next to the flimsy construction and looked straight up. It was part of the sky, tall enough for the seagulls. I had an urge to climb it. It would make the shot extra cool if there was a silhouette accompanying it.

I clutched the first metal bar in my hand and hoisted myself up with ease. I vaguely heard Jin yelling something from below. I looked down at him, halfway up the structure, and grinned, waving with one hand. I could feel the wind rush through my hair again, and brushing all worries away. I continued up, higher and higher. With one last effort, I pulled myself onto the corroded wooden-boarded platform at the top. I steadied myself and stood up fully, screaming out to my heart's content, my eyes clenched shut. I placed my hands on my knees and hunched over, panting. The climb hadn't been as smooth as I had initially expected. But it was worth it to see the flat line of the horizon.

After I had caught my breath, I leaned over the edge to see if Jin was still recording. It looked like he was. I could see Jungkook sat on the beach beneath the scaffolding. He was pretending to use his hands as a telescope. And he was always telling us that he had grown up. I didn't think so. Yoongi strolled over casually and joined him on the sand. They were so perfect. Every one of them was. I was just glad I wasn't close enough to see the imperfections, the cracks in our smiles.

I shuffled over on my stomach to the end point of the platform, which hung precariously over the ocean. I stuck my head out, so I was facing the deep blue sea, speckled with reflections of the dying sunlight. The higher altitude air made my nose runny, and I wiped my nose roughly with the back of my hand. I could hear the wooden planks creak beneath me with my weight, and I knew I needed to get down.

Somehow.