Chapter 2

Home is Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 2. Krystal : Sisters.

“Unnie, hurry.” I tug at my sister’s arm, practically dragging her away from the pool.

“Yah. Soojung slow down! Let me dry my hair first.” My unnie gives me the infamous side-eye of her and swats me with the towel she has in her hand.

“But I’m hungry!” As if trying to back me up, my stomach grumbles soundly.

“What make you think I’ll cook for you huh? I’m not your private chef, not after you push me down the pool.”

“Oh come on, don’t be so mean to your baby sister.”

“Baby sister?” Unnie snorts, hands working the towel neatly around her head. “You are twenty five Soojung-ah.”

“You’re just envious because Daddy has long established me as forever the baby sister of this family. Now, come on, I’m so hungry I almost faint.”

She sticks her tongue out, wrapping another towel around her waist but followed my steps inside anyway.

“Oh look! Kimchi Bokkeumbap!” The sight on the kitchen counter has me squealed in delight. Two plates of the meal I've been craving for age are set atop the marble top, complete with my mom’s signature sunny-side-ups. The rounded yolk of the eggs make my mouth water. I can’t sit on the kitchen stool fast enough, grabbing a spoon and starts to devour the dish.

“Slow down, pig.” My sister pats my head, heading for the coffee maker instead. I chuckle when she animatedly tilts the almost empty pot. Both Mom and Dad are coffee lovers. They probably has finished the coffee first thing in the morning.

“Brewing a new one then.” She opens the kitchen cabinet, searching for mom’s treasured coffee stash. “Do you want some? My not-so-baby-anymore sister?”

I think of it for a moment, can not recall when was the last time I had a cup of coffee. I used to love coffee too, didn’t I?

“Mom’s favorite Colombian coffee.” Jessica put an open sachet of grounded coffee beans under my nose and the smell makes me feel queasy.

“Ugh. No. I’ll pass.” I focus back on finishing my meal. All the modern delicacies I have tasted before will never be able to beat my mom’s original recipe.

“Your loss.” She starts brewing the coffee before going to her room, coming out a few minutes later in a blue sundress, hair still perfectly wrapped in the same towel.

“I’m so hungry. I haven’t had anything since morning.” My Unnie sits down on the stool next to me. “Mmmmm.” She hums in satisfaction right after the first big bite.

“Mmmmm indeed.” I respond between bites. “Mom’s Kimchi Bokkeumbap is the best in the universe.”

“I thought a while ago you said my Kimchi Bokkeumbap is the best in the universe.”

“I said that just so you cook for me.”

“I figured.” She pouts at me, exaggerating a sigh. “How are you Soojungnie? Is the shooting still hard to get through? Does the director still give you a hard time?” The pout morphs into a concerned stare and I somehow feel glad to have a sister who cares about me so much.

In my first weeks of shooting abroad, when the working environment had been a stranger to me, I had texted and called both my sister & my mom so many times telling them how hard it had been to work outside my comfort zone.

I have been a particularly well-known actress here in Korea, with both drama and movie hits under my belt. In the US, however, I'm nothing but a newcomer who has luckily gotten casted into a major TV show. If the three months military training had been such gruesome experience, the uncomfortable first-weeks shooting was the push that almost made me reconsider the contract.

It was my family’s constant encouragement and undying support that helped me through.

“I’m good unnie. It’s getting better and better each day.” I smile at her.

“Really?”

“Really.” It's true. Six months after the first shooting, the crew and my co-stars feel more and more like good friends now. Before the summer break started, some of us even had a bowling night together. That and I have gained more and more recognition abroad too. Most review for my appearance on the show are positive and encouraging.

“Good.” She rises to check on the coffee. “Is this thing really working?” She taps at the still-empty pot.

“Who knows?” I shrugs, “It’s the same coffee machine from billion years ago. Our parents and their antique stuffs”

Unnie laughs, taking a carton of orange juice from the fridge. She pours a glass for me first before pouring another for herself. “Mom left a message.” She reads one of the post it on the fridge's door. “We're not allowed to burn the house. She even doodled pigs.”

“Cute.” I chew again, appreciating the taste of fresh Kimchi on my tongue. “What's up with Mom anyway. I can't recall the last time she dropped to Dad's office bringing lunch?”

My sister just shrugs, sitting back on her chair. “So, actress Jung, is there any good news from the USA your sister needs to know?”

I gulp half of the juice in my glass before raising my eyebrows at her. “What news?”

“I don’t know.” She sneers at me from behind her glass. “A contract renewal maybe? Or a hot young actor sweeping you off your feet?”

I snort, downing the rest of the juice in. “Well. You know? The first ten episodes that had me in them had been aired and they received good feedback.”

She nods knowingly. Unnie and mom are the number one cheerleaders that keep on sending praise and love right after each episode is aired. “You’ve done well, Soojung-ah. Your acting is as good as them regular characters.”

“My agent contacted me last week. He said if things go smoothly, the broadcast station might want to talk with me about a contract renewal by the end of the current season.”

“Oh my God,” My sister clasps her hands on , practically bouncing on her seat. “I’m so proud of you. Our Soojung is the best.”

“Hey. Let’s don’t get ahead of ourselves, shall we?” I shrug, pretending not to care too much. “I still have like another four episodes to prove myself.”

“But you fit perfectly in this drama. Remember when I called you right after the sixth episode aired? The way you kick the kidnapper then put a handcuff on him, so natural. And your chemistry with, who’s junior detective with the ugly hair again? Greg Sanders? My heart almost exploded when you guys were about to kiss each other in the end of the last episode.”

It feels a little weird to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter