Chapter 11

Home is Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 11. Krsytal : In His Care.

 

“That went well.” I smile at Amber as we head to our car. I just finished a photo shoot and interview with TV Guide magazine. The photo shoot was done on filming set to give the actual vibe of the show. The photographer even got me to stand on a car trunk and posing with one of the real gun we use on the show.

“Too well.” Amber grimaces. “The photographer asked for your number.”

“He did not.”

“He did.” Amber starts hauling my bags into the trunk. “I gave him your business number but he insisted on your private number.”

“Please tell me you didn't give it away.”

“Why? You don't like him. He's quite nice.”

“He's too quiet, gives me the creep.” I shudder.

“I tell him I will ask you first. But you know, if you don't give him, the article might come out with a derp picture of you next week.”

I groan, it seems like more and more men advance toward me these days, both directly and indirectly. Too bad the only man that comes to my mind time after time is Sehun.

Sehun. My mind drifts to how he texts and calls me often, asking if I eat and rest enough, if our baby is doing well.

Our baby. It sounds a little strange but absolutely lovely.

Our baby. Sehun and I are having a baby. Even after twenty weeks along, it still feels overwhelming to think so.

“Start regretting your beauty yet?” Amber sticks her tongue at me over the car roof, toying with the car keys.

“Sometimes I just want to tell every man that trying to get close to me about how pregnant I am, making them stop for good.”

“You do know that some men have things for pregnant woman, right? More men will come for you once they know you are with child.”

“Ewww. Amber. Ewwww.”

“And don't forget you haven't done dodging Sam yet. He's been all over me this morning asking me to set a dinner date with you. Again.”

“Ewwwwww.” I recoil at the thought of Sam Mendez, one of the assistant producer of the show. He has been advancing toward me since the first day we meet. Doesn't he know that such aggressiveness is exactly what drives me away from him? I dislike attention-seeker and I think I've tried every subtle way possible to tell him that.

I like my man calm and collected outside and fun inside just like Sehun.

Damn it. Why do I think about Sehun again?

“You know what? You need to tell Sam to stop for once. I can't make up false excuse and shield you every time.”

“I might just do that soon.”

“You don't have to wait that long. He's coming our way.” Amber mumbles and quickly ducking into the car.

I follow suit, hurriedly open the car door and get inside. “Hurry Am. Start the car.”

It's too late. Sam Mendez, with his greasy hair and even more greasier smile, already knocking at the car window.

I huff a breath, rolling the window down in an agonizing slowness.

“Hi Krys. How was the photoshoot?”

“Wonderful. We're heading home now.”

“TV Guide interview is one good start to fame. You know, I'm the one who talk to the journalist into interviewing you. I know her personally.”

“Thank you.” I try to give him my best smile. “It's late now, Sam. We gotta go.”

“May I drive you home this time? I'm sure Amber is tired already, she can go home early if you go with me.”

“Oh no. I'm not tired at all.” Amber smiles from behind the steering wheel.

“Don't be a liar Amber. I saw you yawns a couple of time while we were filming a couple hours ago.”

Amber's fast grip of the steering wheel indicates that she's getting angry. I know how she really hates being accused as a liar.

“I'm Krystal's PA. It's my responsibility to drive her anywhere she wants me to. Now excuse me, we need to go home.” She presses on the gas pedal. The car roars loudly and Sam throws Amber a look.

“That's exactly what you are, Amber. Just a PA. So be a good PA and stop getting in the way. Take the early leave so you can give Krystal your 110% tomorrow. I'll take care of Krystal from here.”

“Sam, please mind your words.” I can't take it anymore. I have to step in. “Amber is a good friend of mine and I have no intention of falling into your care or whatever.”

“You know, Krystal. This kind of attitude won't help you at all.” He leans closer into the car, his eyes glaring. “You are new here. I'm closer with the producers than your little mind could ever figure out. I've worked with them most of my life. One word from me and they will drop you off the show without even blinking.”

My head pulses at his threat. It takes every ounce of me not to slap the man then and there. I signal Amber to go instead as I roll the window up. “Bye, Sam.”

The car lurches forward as Amber shifts the gear and presses the gas pedal without hesitation. Sam curses loudly as his body being thrown to the ground by the sudden movement.

“That in' bastard.” Amber says through gritted teeth. “Sorry, baby Jung. Auntie can't help the swearing.”

“Don't let him get into your mind.” I pat Amber's shoulder before jokingly flicking at her temple. “And this is this the last time you swear around my baby. Don't pollute my baby's tiny ears.”

“Understood.” She grins from under the cap. “I really hate that filthy man though. We should be more careful around him. He does know everyone in the production team.”

I sigh at the truth of Amber's words. For all I know, I might lose my job tomorrow now that I have started a conflict with Sam.

“Straight to the apartment? Or Mr.Wong's Magic Wok first?” Amber asks after awhile. “How hungry is baby Jung and mommy?”

“Ah Am, you know us so well.” I grin at Amber. “To the magic wok!” I point forward.

“To the magic wok!” Amber also grins, speeding up a little. The atmosphere in the car soon morphs into fun again as we tease each other. Amber is fun to befriend with and I'm grateful for her presence.

We order a take away of pork chop with apricot sauce for me and beef chow mein for Amber. I send the poor girl home once we reach the front of my apartment though. She looks dead tired and I know that if she comes upstairs she will busy cater to me and my stuffs again no matter how strong I tell her not to.

Holding my purse in one hand and the Chinese food box in the other I exit the elevator, straightly noticing someone at my door. Mom? She just left to attend my cousin's wedding in San Fransisco this morning. It couldn't be her.

I walk slowly, trying to identify the person. It's not something common to have someone at your door at this hour.

A man. Who could it be?

I come closer and when I actually recognize who the man is it's already too late to hide.

“Sam. What are you doing here?” I root on my spot, keeping my distance.

He comes to me though, so close I can see his red-rimmed eyes. “I.... err.... come to apologize... uh... for what happened before on the set.”

“Apology accepted.” I honestly think he should have apologized to Amber first, but I need not to keep the story long. The man is probably high on something and I better get inside as soon as possible. “Goodnight, Sam.”

I try to walk pass Sam but he spreads his hands out, stopping me.

“Why are you so rude? Shouldn't you invite me in?”

“Sorry Sam. It's too late of a night. See you Monday on the set, okay?” I push pass him, but he holds my wrist, yanking me to his side.

“Hey!”

“Didn't you hear me before? I have the access to put your career on the show in a permanent hiatus. You should be nicer to me.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter