Chapter 1

Home is Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's note : I'm sorry, but for the sake of this fanfiction, Kwon Yuri is a very good-looking drool-worthy male. :)


 

Chapter 1. Mom : Broken Image

“Good morning, mom.”

“It’s ten past eleven but good morning to you too, princess.” I look up from the task of mixing vegetables in front of me to my youngest daughter’s disheveled look. Her hair is sticking out in every direction. Her shirt seems to be one or two size too small while the pajama pants looks like it belongs to a giant.

“It’s 6 a.m somewhere.” She gives me a kiss on the cheek before flopping down on a chair by the kitchen island. “I'm so hungry.” She stretches, yawns, and proceed to prop her head on her palm. Looking up at me, she pouts and blinks like a lost puppy.

Krystal Jung Soojung, my precious twenty five years old daughter, has just arrived home yesterday evening after six months of shooting for a TV series abroad. Waking up past 8 a.m used to be a big no-no in the Jung’s house. So did having breakfast without cleaning yourself up first. But I guess , after a certain age, a mother can’t really tell her children when to wake up or what to do after.

Also taking the likelihood of Soojung being jet-lagged after the 25 hours-flight into consideration, I decide to let my daughter slide this time.

“Wash your hand and have some breakfast then.” I set a plate of sandwiches I have prepared for my husband earlier in front of my daughter.

“Ugh, I’ve had enough of sandwich in the USA. Is the kimchi done?” She points at the bowl in my hands.

“This?” I playfully bring the bowl of mixed vegetables & paste under her nose only to retract it back into my arms. “Done and ready and delicious.” I put a slice of radish into my mouth and chew noisily. “Yummm.”

“Moooom.” She whines in annoyance, leaning across to reach into the bowl.

I take a step back, playfully swatting her outstretching hand, “Manner lady Jung, wash your hand first.”

“Just a bite, plea~se.”

“It won't take you a minute to wash your hand, sweetheart.” I tap at her nose with my finger, smiling at her childishness.

She huffs, walking zombie-like around the kitchen island to wash her hand under the faucet.

“Mom...,” Once she's done, Soojung wraps one hand around my waist, resting her chin on my shoulder and starts eating radish from the bowl in my hand.

“Yes?” I set to chop the kimchi, the plan is to prepare a surprise luncheon and bring it to my husband’s office. He has been mentioning his craving of my homemade kimchi all week.

”Cook kimchi bokkeumbap for me please.” She rubs her chin on my shoulder.

“Aigoo. Can you just have it with plain rice instead? Mommy has no time to cook bokkeumbap. I’m delivering this to your dad.” I show up the carefully decorated lunch box for good measure.

“But I want to eat kimchi bokkeumbap. I haven't had it in ages.” She tightens her hold on my waist, rubbing her cheek against mine, an aegyo nobody but me could resist.

“Sorry baby. I can’t.”

“Pretty plea~se.” Her bottom lip protrudes in the signature pout that, when she was little kid, used to make everybody’s heart melt.

I laugh. “Don’t pull that Krystal’s pout on your mom.” I poke at her rib. “Ask your unnie instead. It’s too close to your dad lunchtime already.”

“Jessica Unnie is here?” Her grip on me loosens immediately.

“Uh uh. She’s testing the new pool.” I motion outside. Our kitchen is connected to the backyard by the large glass panels. I can see the water of the swimming pool ripples as I stand in the kitchen cutting kimchi.

“We have a new pool?” Soojung's eyes widen.

“Technically it’s the old pool revamped with jet tub, three meters high jumping board and whatever addition your Daddy could come up with. But yes, it’s new.”

“Yay!” Soojung is already bouncing half-way outside when I finish my sentences.

I can only shake my head at her antic, getting back to the task at hand. After a moment I can hear the shriek of Sooyeon, my older daughter along with a loud splashing sound. Soojung's laughter comes into the kitchen, making me smile.

I tip-toe a little to see what's going on through the window and catch a glimpse of my youngest daughter trying her best not to fall off the edge of the pool while her sister tugging mercilessly at her pajama pants. My beloved daughters and their playfulness when being together always amuse me.

It has been months since both of them at home at the same time. Works and marriage has brought our precious girls away from us. I haven’t realized that I miss their presence so much until hearing their laughter from outside. Watching them together makes my heart swell with love.

I sigh in defeat. This rare happy gathering call for a little celebration. And one easy way to do it is by cooking them a good meal. I decide to whip a quick kimchi bokkeumbap for my daughters, trying my best to multitask. Only after long minutes of juggling pans and pots both my husband’s lunch and the girls’ food are finally ready. I even manage to make two perfect sunny-side-ups as the companion for the girls' dish.

I set the two plates of meal for my daughter prettily on the counter, adding cherry tomato slices as garnish. The clock shows that it's almost noon already and I have to cancel my plan of making them fresh orange juice.

I dash to my room to give myself a little touch up. I'm not really the kind of woman who loves putting on make up. But I guess, this time, a little make up is needed to rekindle the fire of our relationship. My husband and I aren't really the type of couple who goes lovey-dovey all the time. And now both our girls are not around that often anymore, it seems like we're drifting further apart. I hope a little surprise lunch will do our 32 years marriage good.

The girls’ laughter still rings from the pool when I comeback downstairs. With car keys in hand I scribble a hasty note and stick it on the fridge. The note basically tell the girls to eat a lot, have fun and try not to set the house on fire before I come back.

Now, it's only the matter of how fast I can get to my husband’s workplace. I practically hurl myself to the garage.

At the business side of the town, driving at lunch time will only mean getting waist-deep into traffic, but I push forward. It has been a while since I gave my husband a surprise visit so I'll give my 110% for this. As I try to drive faster than my usual standard, my mind drifts to my marriage.

We were good friends at first, my husband and I. Years ago, we trained together in this huge gym owned by his uncle. He was a boxer while I was a gymnast. My husband was my first love's best friend, the three of us hung out together often back then. By the twisted hands of fate I ended up marrying him instead of my first love. And now here I am, a mother of Eric Jung's two daughters.

The thought of old love story feels bothersome to me so I try to think about other things, cranking up the volume of the car radio to help me so.

A little clog at the street by the mall gives my mind extra

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter