Broken Smiles

Butterfly

Chapter 6

 Pete watched Earn solve the problem on the board with admiration. He never understood how Earn could dislike math so much but be a pro at it.

“And that is why the linear relationship between x and y work.” Earn took his seat and scowled at Pete.

Pete smiled, he did that a lot around Earn. Pete couldn’t remember the last time someone made him so happy with just their presence. He couldn’t even remember being happy without his meds.

“Pete, you okay?” a classmate asked.

“Hm? Of course! I’m fine.”

Out of the corner of his eye he could see Earn writing his notes and talking to himself, probably a question he had for the teacher later. Pete sighed and looked down at his own notes, they were practically unreadable.

“Hey jerk face, get up the bell rang.” Earn said, tapping Pete on the shoulder. Pete was spacing out to much to even notice the bell ring.

“You seem a bit off today, are you alright? You were all happy yesterday.”

“What? I’m fine, don’t worry about me.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes! Now for goodness sake can we get food?" Earn stared at Pete for a second before leading the way to the cafeteria.

Pete lagged behind; he was a bit out of it today and didn't want to worry anyone.

"Hey! Pete! What the hell is wrong with you? Hurry up!" Earn yelled from the long line as he was saving a spot for Pete.

"You go on and get your food, I'll be back!"

"Want me to get you something?"

"Anything is fine!" Pete walked towards the mens bathroom and locked himself in a stall.

He pulled his phone out and texted his mom, asking her to bring his meds. He then put his phone back and replaced his hand with a cigarette and a lighter. He lit the cancerous stick and inhaled deeply, breathing it out with a sigh. On days like these only cigarettes could calm him down. He heard a ding from his back pocket and pulled out his phone, seeing his mom said she's in the office.

"Thank goodness." He put the cigarette out and unlocked the door, which made a creaking sound as he opened it. At the office he spots his mom, talking to one of the teachers and holding a bag.

"Hey mom." Pete said as he approached the pair. She frowned at his sad tone and gave a small smile of understanding.

"Bad day, huh?" She whispered as she handed him the bag.

"I feel awful." Pete's mom just nodded in response.

That's what Pete like about his mom, she didn't ask why he felt awful like many oblivious parents out there. She just always knew the unspoken, no matter how hard he tried to hide it.

"Thanks, see you at home." "Bye honey, love you!" Pete didn't hear the last part, as he was back into the restroom. He opened the bag to see a Ziploc bag with two gummies in it.

"Oh! Mom!" Pete chuckled lightly. His mom hasn't given him his anti-depressants in gummy form since he was eleven.

He popped two in his mouth and waited for his mood to lift, and it did. He smiled down at the bag and then walked out of the restroom just as Earn was coming towards him.

"Ah! Pete! Were you taking a dump? I thought you went somewhere and died!" Earn said.

"Sure. Now lets go eat!" Pete said with much more enthusiasm.

°°°

Later that night, Pete sat on his bed, staring at nothing in particular. He scratched his head and felt a few strands detach from his scalp, but just dusted them into the trash bin. He crawled towards the window and opened it, and exiting. He closed it and turn towards the window right across from him. Earn had his curtains open but his window was closed. Pete could see Earn was reading something, or studying.

He conteplated on knocking but decided against it, knowing how much Earn hated being disturbed. He sat down on the ajoined roofs, knees to his chest and he watched Earn. This is what Pete did most nights when he was stressed, or just genuinely wanted to see Earn. Something about Earn was soothing, he enjoyed being in his presence even if Earn didn't. He shivered as the chilly night air rolled by, and he decided it's time to go in. Taking one last look at Earn's window, he smiled sadly.

"Goodnight Earn."

°°°

"Uh~" Earn softly snored as Pete ran his fingers through Earn's hair.

"You're beautiful when you sleep." Pete whispered mostly to himself. He looked out the slightly ajar window to see the orange sky, then looked at his watch. "It's almost dawn, I'll go now."

Pete whisperd as he smiled down at the sleeping figure. He grabbed his bag and went out the window, shutting it as quietly as possible.

°°°

Once he heard the window shut Earn breathed out the breath he didn't know he was holding. He opened his eyes and turn towards his alarm.

"Might as well get up."Earn said as he pulled off the covers, feeling the chilly air of his room. He ran his hands through his hair and could feel the ghost of Pete's hands. Earn didn't understand what just happened but decided to dismiss it.

°°°

"Thanks for waiting for me this morning !" Earn whispered through gritted teeth as took his seat. Pete looked over at him and chuckled slightly.

"Sorry, I had something to do."

"At four a.m. ?"

"Ye- wait, how did you know I left at 4?" Earn but his lip and searched his mind for an answer that wouldn't give away he was awoke that morning.

"Well, I didn't see you in my room when I woke up and it was dawn, so I figured..."

"Oh." Earn wanted to ask more on the subject but the bell rang and he was forced to face forward. The teacher came in and they all stood, bowing and saying their morning greetings.

"Alright class! As you know, Valentine's day is coming and you know what that means! We'll be having the fundraiser for our anual dance next week, so please tell your families, girlfriends, or even your crushes! "

Everyone started wooing and Pete just sank in his chair. To bad his crush wasn't a girl, or the fact he wasn't interested in woman. He put his head down, ready to sleep out the rest of the period, when a loud bang came from the door.

"Pete! Ms. Ang, do you have a student named Pete?" The man seemed like the issue was important.

"That's me sir!" Pete said standing from his seat.

"Come with us! It's very important!" Even though the man said it with such urgency Pete could see the pity.

He nodded and followed, looking back at Earn's concerned face. Walking down the hall the pair stopped abruptly when spotting what appeared to be a doctor.

"Dr. Bing." Pete stated, walking towards the doctor, the man not following.

"Hello Pete, long time no see." That wasn't true, he had seen him last month for his chemo therapy.

"What made you come here? Is it urgent? We did have an appointment for next week-"

"Yes, it's about your condition. Your mother begged me to tell you as soon as I told her, she couldn't tell you in person without falling apart." Pete's heart dropped, this wasn't good.

"What about my condition? I thought it was getting better?!"

"Pete, you might want to take a seat." Pete shook his head, he could take the news.

"Just tell me!"

"Well, the virus, it's um...."

"It's what? What's wrong?"

"Its spread too far, you started treatment too late-"

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Pete, you're dying-"

"I've been dying my whole life!"

"Will you let me finish?!" The doctor yelled, but no one heard it through the sound-proof doors of the meeting room. Pete nodded, staring down at his hands.

"What I was saying was, it's spread so far and your body has become immune to the chemo therapy." The doctor hesitated to say the last part, but indeed that's what he came all the way here for. "There's nothing else we can do to help, I'm very sorry."

Pete's heartbeat sped up and he felt tears pooling in his eyes. His worst nightmare had become a reality.

"What? There has got to be something! I can't die! You're supposed to make sure that doesn't happen! You swore!" Pete's voice cracked and he clutched at his heart, he forgot how to breath.

"I am so sorry." The doctor had so much sympathy in his voice, a single tear ran down his cheek, he hated breaking this type of news to patients.

"How long?" Pete asked in between sobs.

"Um, well, at the very most a year."

Those were the words that broke Pete, crushed his soul. He picked up a nearby vase and threw it, causing it to shatter into a million peices, flowers cascading across the floor. Then he sank the floor, head in his hands, immense sobs racking his body. He felt someone put there hand on his shoulder and telling him it's ok. He knew this would happenen, but now was too soon.

But in the end, it's a part of life. ____________________________________ A/N: I'm very sorry for doing this to you all, but you can't have a good story without a twist!