Epilogue: Journey to Nowhere

Butterfly

Epilogue

Contentment is a simple idea many of us humans can't grasp. In order to feel content, you have to be truly satisfied with the outcome of the situation. But that's the problem; when will the greedy species know as man be satisfied with anything?

Now, any sensible creature reaching the end of the stages of grief would have a hard time accepting something so tragic, right?  But of course, Earn is in fact an idiotic teenager who copes with his problems in silence.

But even with the time-travel-dream-to the past, he felt nothing had changed. He knew it was too good to be true, and he would be okay. Earn sat on his lawn in the blistering july heat, mind blank and sweating through the long sleeve he had on.

"Holy! Earn, why on earth are you wearing a long sleeve in 95° weather?!" his mother yelled from the doorway.

"Ma," He said, eyes in moving from the empty two laned road. "Can I borrow the car?"

"Why? You plan on going somewhere far away for a few days and stop driving me towards insanity with your twenty four hour presence?"

Even though the words sounded harsh, Earn knew they were terms of endearment. Earn looked up at his mother and saw the excitement in her eyes at the thought of him leaving for a bit.

"How did you know?!"

"I am your mother, and mommy knows best!" she said as she gleefully put the car keys into his hands along with a card.

"Ma, I don't need this..." He complained as he started to push the card away.

"Honey, just take the damned thing and get the hell out of my house!"

She was giving him the do-as-I-say-or-i'll-put-your-hand-in-a-blender look and he cautiously made his way to the car. Once safely buckled in, his mother and blew kisses as he started the engine.

"Bye honey! I love you!"

"Love you too mom!" He only planned to drive around for a little bit, just to give his mom some peace, but of course nothing in his life goes as planned.

He was cruising down Bhunarak Lane, a very quiet neighborhood, when he heard someone sniffling. He slowed and turned down his radio. He got out and looked around seeing no one, at first. Even though he only saw her once, a very long time ago, he could easily recognize her bright blonde hair. He walked over to her and sat down on the curb she was on.

"D-do I know you?" She asked as she squinted through her tears.

"We met once at Siam last year." She studied his face for a second, and her puffy eyes widened.

"Ah! I remember! You were with that one guy! His name was Pete I think, we had tea together."

The mention of Pete sent thorns to Earn's heart and he physically flinched.

"What brings you here?"

"Ah, I was just driving around."

"You have a car?!" She stopped sniffling and squealed in excitement.

"Well, you see......"

"Let's go! I really wanna get out of this town!"

"Wait! What are you talking about?! And go where? I barely know you!"

"Well, let me introduce myself. My name is Tam, seventeen years old. Nice to meet you. And you?"

"I'm Earn, also seventeen."

"See? Now we're not strangers! Let's go."

Earn suddenly smiled like an idiot as he was dragged by his wrist back to his car. Earn was going to open the passenger for Tam like the gentlemen he dreamed of being when she pushed him out the way and stuck out her hand.

"Give me the keys." Earn laughed at her demand, patted her head, and stuck his tongue out.

"Over my dead body will I let a stranger drive my mom's car."

"We're not strangers!"

They both got in the car and Tam reached for the radio but Earn grabbed her wrist.

"What is it that you think you're doing?"

"C'mon! If I can't drive can't I at least listen to some music?!"

"Well, depends on your taste of music."

"Well I don't know what you mean by that, but my favorite band is Slot Machine."

"Really?! I LOVE Slot Machine!" Earn exclaimed.

While cruising around the entire city of Bangkok screaming hits from the famous Thai rockband, Earn felt like his life was finally being put back together.

"Where are we going anyways?!" Earn screamed over the wind.

"Who knows!" she screamed back, laughing He laughed for the first time in a very long time, and it felt good. He was happy because a complete stranger decided to join his lonely drive, so happy that he thought he would go crazy.

Life is beautiful, isn't it?

________________________________

A/N: This really is the end. I want to thank anyone who has read this far! I know this wasn't the best but I did try. I'm.sorry to announce there won't be a sequel but I am thinking about writing a fanfic with the characters from Hormones, Make It Right, and Lovesick! Until next time!