Chapter 2

How Much Is That DaeHyunnie In The Window?

The lady led YoungJae through a couple of doors and down a few hallways. She finally stopped in front of a door painted with black paw prints on it. The door, as all the housing units in the shelter, had a small window toward the top, center.  Even before YoungJae took a peek; he could hear yipping and barking. The lady smiled fondly as she watched YoungJae look through the window. 

YoungJae was enthralled. He subcontiously bounced on the balls of his feet while he watched the puppies play around. After a few moments, the lady caught YoungJae's attention once again. "Would you like to go inside to get a better view"? YoungJae flashed a big smile. "Yes, please". "Very well, but I should warn you. Some of the puppies can be fiesty, so I apologize in advance if one of them does something naughty. For example, just last week a client left with a torn shirt because a couple of Beagles had an attention contest". "I understand". "Alright. It's not locked, you may enter".

 

YoungJae quietly opened the door and stepped inside. It took only half a second before he was being surrounded by half a dozen, excited, puppies. The puppies were all eager for attention; their tails swinging furiously behind them. YoungJae laughed as they all shouted out questions leaving no roon for him to answer. The shelter worker breezed in to help an overwhelmed YoungJae. "Alright, alright. Everyone settle down. Let's use our inside voices. Now, everyone please back up and give our friend some space".

YoungJae let out a sigh of relief. He was glad they were all excited, but he wasn't quite expecting it to this extent. He smiled as he watched the squirming little dogs back up a few steps and form a semi circle around the two of them. It reminded him of how kindergarden children sit around their teacher for story time. Of course most of the puppies weren't much older than that and YoungJae found it to be quite cute how well they listened.

"This friend here is named YoungJae. He has come here with the intention of taking one of you home. You may ask him questions, one at a time, but just go about playing and doing what you were already doing so he can see what a puppy hybrid is like in action".

 

The puppies' tails swung even harder at the possibility of leaving the shelter. A couple of very young Pomeranians stayed to ask some questions, but the others went back to playing and carrying on as before. YoungJae patiently answered the questions and then gave each a pat on the head. They soon went to join the others and YoungJae followed the lady over to be seated at a table where they could comfortably speak.

"As you saw, those were our younger dogs. Then we have the two watching t.v. over there who think they are "old" to be with "the babies". They're thirteen by the way. We also have a few adult dogs who mostly stay in their own rooms, but we have a few that have been "grounded" as well back there". YoungJae looked around as he listened to the worker. He smirked at the two on the couch, but he looked back at her with interest when he heard her say adult.

"Adults? Like I wouldn't have to house break them"? She nodded in approval. "Yes. Just remeber that even though once house broken their canine instincts can make them act up. I can take you to go see them if you'd like". "I think since I have to work through the morning that an adult hybrid would be a better choice. So yes, I'd like to go see them".