Chapter 2: Why So Serious?

Life As A Trainee

   "Ring!" The nagging shrill of the alarm was in contrast to the chilly silence of daybreak. I stifle a yawn and gave a lazy stretch, basking in the warm rays of the morning sun. I turn my head away from the light streaming through the windows, hoping to prolong my sleep a little longer. When I finally got up, I hear the front door slam shut. Min Ah always leaves earlier than me to avoid being seen walking with me.

     I shrug it off, having grown accustomed to her absence in the morning. With the scent of slumber still enveloping me, I stumble my way into the toilet.

     After showering and getting dressed, I went to make a cup of hot chocolate. I usually don't eat when I don't have to - it helps save some money. I take 3 granola bars and chuck them into my bag just in case I get hungry during the day. Steam swirled from the cup of hot chocolate as I sipped cautiously at the hot brew.

     After finishing the drink, I then made my way to the building by bus.

     Bags of all shapes and sizes dotted the walls of the dance room as the trainees unloaded the burden of their bags before joining their friends in chatter. I, however, sit at the back of the room, working on lyrics to a song I was writing.

     The song seems to be coming together and today has been going well, I thought to myself, smiling.

     Then like a record playing and suddenly being stopped and creating that all too familiar sound, my happiness comes crashing down at the sound of the 2 girls' voices.

     "Yah Baek Areum," says Hye Rin as she takes a step forward menacingly. I look away, refusing to meet her eyes.

     "Yah!" snaps Hye Ra, snatching away the paper in my hands - on which I had written the lyrics- before tearing it into shreds in front of me. I was furious, but I couldn't do anything about it. So I just sat and watched as the shreds of paper fell around me like confetti.

     "Class! Get into your positions!" said the teacher, saving me from the wrath of the 2 sisters.

     No one dared to do anything in front of the trainers so classes aren't all that scary. Its lunch that you gotta look out for.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

     Soon enough, it was lunch and I groaned inwardly at the thought that always came with it. Bullies. Trainers never ate in the cafeteria since they've eaten the food here for years and have gotten tired of it. Bullies see this as an opportunity to strike.

     Today, I didn't feel like hearing all the comments and insults of the other trainees so I went up to the studio to resume my individual training.

     I stepped into the silent studio where I recorded my cover of songs. I grin as I take in the interior of the studio, the various buttons tempting me. I spin around in slow circles, my hands waving in the air as I do, so as to take in all the details. "This room is so heavenly, I can kiss the floors," I say aloud to no one in particular.

     "Nah, you really shouldn't," a voice said from behind me.

      I stop spinning and turn around.

     Jihoon!

     I shoot him a sheepish grin, embarrassed that he had caught me.

     He chuckles, "What are you doing here alone anyways?"

     "I uhh just uhh I wanted to work on a song so..." I trail off.

     "What song? I'll help you record it."

     My ears perk up at his words.

     "Oh uhm no it's a uhh its an original piece," I stutter, still awkward around him.

     "Well, let's hear it," he encourages with a gentle smile.

     "Uhm I actually don't have the lyrics as of yet," I reply simply, choosing not to tell him about the sisters.

     "I'll help you write them," he suggests. "I'm no genius but I think I compose pretty good songs."

     "Sure! Thanks, uhh Jihoon," I mumble, not used to his name.

      "You can call me Woozi too, if you'd like," he suggests, sensing the awkward atmosphere.

     We then started brainstorming on lyrics for my song. 'No genius'? Gosh, he's humble. His lyrics were so deep and meaningful while mine were shallow and cliché.

      Everything was peaceful when suddenly, he shoves me off my chair. What the heck? I look up at him through my eyelashes to see what he was playing at. But he's quick to move away. And as he turns away from me, I swear I see a small playful smirk curving the ends of his lips.

     He so did that on purpose!

     I shake my head at his back before turning back around to continue with my songwriting. But before I could write anything down, he pokes my shoulder like a toddler seeking attention.

     I push his head far away from me with the palm of my hand before playfully flicking his forehead,  "Stop,don't poke me," I warn him, giggling.

     I wave my finger in his face teasingly as a disappointed frown takes over his expression, "Why so serious?" he asks playfully.

      Laughter spills out of my mouth at the puppy eyes he was giving me.

      I sigh, finally caving in, "Alright, we'll take a break."

      "Yay!" he shouts, beaming. "So Baek Areum, tell me about yourself," he asks, a genuine smile flashing across his features.

     I shift uncomfortably in the chair I was sitting in.

     "Uhm well, I uh-" I start but was interrupted by a loud bang.

     Phew.

     We turn our heads to find a boy standing in the doorway with a cheeky smile plastered across his face.

     "Wooziii!" he exclaims with his arms spread out beside him as he runs towards Woozi.

     "Ugh go away!" Woozi pulls away in disgust.

     "Oh! Who's this?" the boy points to me.

     "She's Ah Reum. She has a killer voice!" Woozi replies.

     "Uh hey," I finally speak up.

     "Hellooo! I'm Hoshi! Nice to meet you!" he greets all too eagerly, shaking my hand vigorously.

     "Oh uhm hi, Hoshi," I giggle.

     "What are you guys doing?" he asks me curiously.

     "Oh uhm Woozi was helping me write a song," I reply, sending Woozi a grateful smile.

     "Oooohhh! Can I help?" he asks enthusiastically.

     "Uhm yea-"

     "No! No, hyung! Go away!" Woozi protests. "You're so annoying and immature!"

     "No, I'm not! Take that back! I'm so mature!" Hoshi defends himself, only proving Woozi right.

     "Look! You're just proving my point!" Woozi retorts.

     I can't help but smile at the exchange between the 2 boys.

     "Wooziiiii I have nobody else to play with! Let me hang out with you two, pleaseee," Hoshi starts begging.

     "No!" Woozi barks at him.

     "Fine. I didn't want to do this but-" he warns before tickling Woozi.

     The room was filled with Woozi's uncontrollable laughter. But Woozi of course had to take revenge.

     Woozi starts attacking Hoshi at his sides, sending him into fits of laughter as well.

     "AHAHAH!" I join, genuinely amazed by their immaturity.

     They spin around and throw me a scowl before their lips curl up into mischievous grins. Before I could stop them, they started tickling me. I immediately erupted into boisterous laughter, punctuated occasionally by desperate pleas.

     "Stop! Please! I can't breathe! Guys! Sto-"

     "You guys are rather loud."

     Woozi and Hoshi snap up nervously at hearing his voice. I, unfamiliar to the owner of the  voice, just stare up at him through my lashes innocently.

     "Hey, Wonwoo! Sup?" Hoshi chirps ecstatically only to be met with stony silence.

       Dreading the deafening silence in the room, I decide to speak up.

     "Hey! I'm-"

     "Keep the volume down I'm practising," he interrupts me in an icy tone before leaving.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>irah<<

Hey, you cutie;)

Yayyy Areum finally meets some of the other members:D Not much has happened yet, but I promise that in the future chapters, real drama is about to go down;) I figured some of you didn't read the author's note at the end of the last chapter so I just wanted to say that I also published this story on Wattpad so if you prefer using Wattpad, you can always read this story there. I also have a SEVENTEEN fan account on Instagram called @sm17e5lyfe so do check it out yeah? And to you cuties who read all the way up to this point, YOU'RE AWESOME!;)