Chapter 12: Birthday Traditions

Life As A Trainee

 

     "Seungkwan! Woozi! Stop fighting!" Vernon shouts over the noise.

     "Quick. Standby," Wonwoo whispers upon hearing Vernon.

     We begin to open the bags of flour and cans of silly string. I accidentally burst open a bag of flour, causing the flour to poof up and create a mess.

     "Wow," Wonwoo huffs in irritation, seemingly unimpressed.

     "Oops?" I send him a sheepish grin and earn a glower in return.

     He shoots me a deadpanned stare and hisses, "Can you do anything right -"

    Sounds of glass shattering cut him off.

     "Guys! What's going on? Stop it!" Mingyu pleads at the top of his lungs.

     That's it. That's the cue.

     Oh cheesecakes.

     Without thinking, I shove the bags of flour into Wonwoo's arms, "Quick! Open the rest of the bags!"

       I steal a glance at the situation outside through a crack in the closet wall. Everyone was pounding their fists on the door and shouting whatever came to their minds.

     Everyone but Hoshi. He just stood staring at the closet with his eyebrows furrowed.

     Wonwoo turns to me in question, handing me the opened bags of flour. "Why am I doing your job for you? Here."

     I grab the opened bags of flour but keep my eyes fixated on Hoshi.

     "What are you waiting for? Get out! Quick!"

     I nudge the door just a little and watch as Hoshi turns back and resumes his shouting.

     Wonwoo takes the situation into his own hands and charges towards the birthday boy.

     All hell breaks loose as cans of silly string and bags of flour were emptied. The door opens and the rest of the members contribute to the chaos. An infectious joyful chortle ruptured the walls as the members threw bags of flour around.

     "Woo!" I scream at the top of my lungs and purposefully spin in circles as flour covers me from head to toe.

     I glance at Wonwoo who was standing at the side, dusting himself off. I grab him by the hand and pull him into the powdery mess with me as I encourage him to live in the moment and participate.

      A few bags of flour and cans of silly string later, we finally got around to actually wishing him happy birthday.

     "Happy birthday Hoshi!" I shout before flinging myself forward uncontrollably, wrapping my arms around his neck for a hug.

     Hoshi staggers back on impact as he returns the hug. "Woah, excited much?" he teases when I finally release him.

     I nod enthusiastically before turning around to beckon Seokmin forward. His eyes meet Hoshi's, a smile spilling over his lips as he skips towards us - a festival of colourful balloons in hand. They hold their gaze for a second longer before performing their weird greeting.

     You know how people have secret handshakes with back slaps, high fives and fist bumps? Yeah Seokmin and Hoshi don't have fist bumps. They have shoulder bumps. They basically bump their shoulders against each other's multiple times.

     "Aye Seokmin!"

    "Aye Hoshi! Happy birthday! Here you go!" Seokmin chimes all too happily as Hoshi takes the balloons from his hands.

     I admire their friendship.

     "Come on! Let's go in and eat cake!" Ecstasy screamed from every fibre in Seungcheol's body as he jumped up and down in elation. He swings an arm over Hoshi's shoulders and steers him into the practice room with the rest of us trailing behind him.

    "We'll eat the cake first then play the games. We'll open the gifts afterwards," Jeonghan updates Hoshi on all that we've planned.

     "Yeah, yeah okay whatever. Give me my cake already!" Hoshi squeals and claps his hands in delight.

     "Here we go," Seungkwan grins, setting the cake down on the table in front of him.

     "Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday to Hoshi, happy birthday to you!" We all sing in unison.

     "Thanks guys!" Hoshi says to us, his eyes gleaming with joy. "Okay! Time for the games! Partner up!"

     I stand around awkwardly while the members pair up. A hand swings over my shoulders, catching me by surprise. Before I can even respond, he's already dragged me off to a corner. His head peeks out from over my shoulder so that my face and his are inches away before he greets me with a wink, "Howdy, partner."

      I scoff at his lame accent, pushing his face away playfully with the palm of my hand before proceeding to ask, "What game are we playing?"

      "Three-legged race."

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

     "Ah Reum stop squirming!"

     "Then stop tying it tighter! Ouch! Mingyu!" I slap his back as he arched over, tying the ribbon around our ankles.

     "No, I wanna stay close to you."

     I take in an anxious breath and gaze at his back in confusion as to what he was trying to imply, to what message he was trying to deliver.

     I was shaken from my thoughts by Hoshi's shouting, "OKAY! 3,2,1 GO!"

     "Go, go, go!" Mingyu screams in my ear.

     Driven by panic, I yank my foot forward, resulting in Mingyu almost falling backwards.

     "Okay, chill!"

     This time, it was my turn to lose my balance. I grab at Mingyu's arm to steady myself, laughing hysterically at our horrible coordination.

     Okay, fine. My horrible coordination.

     We continued the race, laughing and screaming the whole way, grabbing at each other's arms. When we finally finished the race, we slumped down onto the floor, exhausted and panting.

     Yeah, I've never been the best at games. You can see why.

     "What's the prize?" I ask Mingyu, curious.

     "You get a certain number of points for every game and the person with the highest points is the winner. The birthday person randomly selects a gift with a blindfold on and the winners get that gift as a prize," Mingyu explains. "It's our birthday tradition."

     "Ahh, I see," I nod understandingly.

     "Okay, guys, next game! Grab your tissue rolls!" Seungkwan calls to us, pointing to a packet of tissue rolls.

     I look at Mingyu for an explanation.

     "We're playing mummy. One partner has to roll the other in 3 tissue rolls and the pair that finishes first, wins."

     "You guys play really weird games."

     We take a few rolls of tissue and wait for the game to start.

     "Ready, get set, go!"

     Mingyu starts binding me in tissue paper starting from my legs. As he quickly reaches my torso, he stands closer to me, his head looking over my shoulder and his arms winding around my waist to reach and wrap tissue paper around my torso.

     My breath hitches and I stand dead still, afraid to even breathe or move at his sudden closeness. I stiffen and I know he notices. Yet, he still leans in closer and closer to look over my shoulder since he couldn't see through my long, thick hair. His muscles flexing ever so slightly in the process as his other hand holds onto my shoulder to keep his balance.

     After awhile, I turn so that my back was facing him, my heart pounding at having him so close to me. I lift my hair up and look over my shoulder. Mingyu closes the distance between us yet again. I feel his presence right behind me, his defined chest just touching my back as he leans into me. He finishes the tissue roll and asks, "Could you pass me the next one?" as he looks up, shortening the distance between his face and mine.

     I let out an unsteady breath and hastily grab another roll of tissue to pass to him, "Here, keep going."

     I look over to see adorable little Dino and his fellow partner, Wonwoo, whom I had caught giving me dirty glares.

     "Ah Reum, tissue roll please. Ah Reum?"

     I hand Mingyu the last tissue roll and he stands in front of me to wrap the last bit around my head, patting my head once he was done. Even after he was done, he stays put right in front of me as if not wanting to move back away from me. I turn my face away so that he was looking at my cheek rather than my eyes.

     "We're done!"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
      We all gather around the table full of gifts and wait for the announcement of the game winners.

     Hoshi clears his throat and everyone falls silent. He picks up a water bottle and uses it as his mic, "I will announce the winners of the games now," he dramatically announces. "The winners are..." he pauses to create suspense.

     "Seungkwan and Vernon!"

     Seungkwan jumps up and down in pure bliss and joy as he runs up to Hoshi and embraces him in a hug. He eventually pulls away from the hug and turns to face us, his wide smile still intact.

     "This is amazing and truly unbelievable," Seungkwan had snatched the water bottle from Hoshi's hands and began giving his speech, his arms spread open by his side. "I would like to thank my mom, my dad, the people who have supported me to this day and the people who have made this possible. I would not have been able to do this without -"

     "I was kidding," Hoshi snickers, enjoying the little skit Seungkwan had acted out for him.

     "What," Seungkwan's voice falters and his happy expression drops. Resentment flashes in his eyes as he stared intently at Hoshi without diverting his gaze.

     "It was a joke. You didn't actually win," Hoshi pushes his buttons. "Although I really do appreciate the little play you put on earlier."

     Seungkwan's infuriation rose in notches. "You. Mean. I. Didn't. Win?" He spits out the words a syllable at a time so as to amplify his anger at Hoshi.

     Someone wasn't used to losing.

     "Woah, chill," Hoshi raises his hands in defence, "You can't hurt the birthday boy," he concludes with a wink and a cunning smirk.

     Keeping his temper down, Seungkwan slowly walks back to us and along the way, mutters a string of vulgarities under his breath to vent his frustration.

     Such drama queens.

     "Anyways," Hoshi pipes up, "The actual winners are Jun and Minghao! Congrats, guys!"

     We all begin to erupt in claps and cheers as the true winners received their prize from Hoshi.

     "Whoo! Champions!"

     "Minghao oppa! Saranghae!"

     "Jun oppa! Notice me!"

    Minghao and Jun got so shy and flustered. They ran to the members and chanted with the rest of us, "Wen Junhui! Ddak joha! Xu Minghao! Ddak joha!"

      Seungkwan joins in, quickly forgetting about his anger with Hoshi.

     "Quick! Open the gift already!" I interrupt them, curious as to which gift Hoshi picked blindfolded.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>Irah<<
Hey, cuties:)
I know this is very late but I made it a long one so you guys have something to read while I work on the next one. Do remember to vote/comment if you like my fanfic because it makes me happy and it's good to make people happy:)

 

P/S: I update on Wattpad earlier so if you have Wattpad, use that instead.