Chapter 3: Say The Name!

Life As A Trainee

   "How?!" I whine, ready to give up.

     "Its easy! Just do it how I did it," Hoshi replies.

     "I did it exactly how you did!" I argue.

      "No, you didn't! Your leg movements are wrong!" Hoshi screams back.

     Hoshi had been teaching me the dance to Got7's 'Just Right' for the past hour. I had begged him to coach me after catching a glimpse of him dancing in the practice room. He was amazing and his facial expressions were 'on point'. Dancing is my weakest area so I decided to consult Hoshi.

      "Hey hyung!" an enthusiastic voice calls out.

      "Hey, Dino!" Hoshi greets, offering the little boy a bright smile.

     "Who's this?" the boy whose name is apparently Dino asks, referring to me.

     "I'm-"

      "Incredibly bad at dancing," Hoshi finishes my sentence - very rudely, might I add.

      "Hey!" I scowl, slapping his shoulder. "It's 'cause you aren't a good teacher."

      "I'm an amazing teacher!" Hoshi gasps and from my peripheral vision, I could see Dino backing away slowly. "I'm the best dancer ever! Like in the whole wide world! I'm basically Michael Jackson!"

     And with that, Dino stops in his tracks.

     Dino frowns,"Woah woah woah. Don't insult Michael Jackson."

     "Dino! You're indirectly insulting me!" Hoshi's mouth falls agape and his eyes widen in betrayal.

      "Sorry," Dino giggles sheepishly. "Anyway, what's your name?" He asks, directing his question to me.

      "Right. As I was saying - before I was very rudely interrupted," I drag the last two words, eyeing Hoshi, "I'm Baek Ah Reum."

     "Hello! I'm Lee Chan! You can call me Dino ," he introduces himself. "So I'm guessing Hoshi was trying to teach you how to dance?" He asks more like states.

     "Yup. He's doing a very bad job at it too," I add for the heck of it.

     "ME?! IM THE ONE DOING A BAD JOB? YOU CANT EVEN GET THE FIRST PART RIGHT!" Hoshi barks. Dino and I burst out laughing at this.

     "I was just kidding, gosh," I chuckle.

     "Yo, guys. It's lunchtime, come on," Dino points out in an attempt to distract Hoshi.

     Of course, this works.

     "Wanna eat with us?" Hoshi offers cheerfully, already over the mini argument we had a while ago.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

     Turns out 'us' was all of Hoshi's friends.

     I stare awkwardly at all the 13 boys seated at the table and eye each of them wearily. I saw an empty seat next to Woozi and rushed over.

     "Hey," Woozi greets, still facing down at his food, his way of acknowledging me.

     "Hey," I reply. "So uhm who are..." I falter mid-sentence when I see Hoshi and another dude with a very contagious smile playing with their food like a bunch of 7-year-olds.

     Woozi follows my gaze to the 2 boys and sighs, "Well uhm these are the animals I'm supposed to be debuting with." He pauses to pinch the bridge of his nose - a clear sign that he was tired of the boys' antics - before adding, "Oh we're called SEVENTEEN by the way."

     "You don't seem too happy about it," I giggle.

     "Well, if you have to live in the same dorm as these 13 monkeys, you wouldn't be the happiest person either," he let's out a tense breath. "Calling it a nightmare would be the understatement of the century."

     "But why are you guys called SEVENTEEN anyway? There are only 13 memb-"

       "Well, there are 13 members, 3 units and 1 group. So, 13+3+1=17!" A voice interrupts, explaining enthusiastically, passion dripping from every word he uttered.

      I whip my head around, "What the-"

     "I'm S.coups! I'm the leader of SEVENTEEN. You can call me Coups," he interrupts again.

      Aishhh why is everyone interrupting me?

      "Hey, nice to meet you," I smile warmly. "I'm Baek Ah Reum."

     "GUYS! ATTENTION! THIS IS AH REUM. NOW INTRODUCE YOURSELVES!" he all but shouts at the boys.

      "SAY THE NAME! ANNYEONGHASEO, SEVENTEEN-IMNIDA," they exclaim in response.

      "This is Seokmin, Minghao, Jun,  Jeonghan, Joshua, Seunggwan, Vernon, Mingyu and Wonwoo," Coups introduces to me, everyone waving when their names were called - except the Wonwoo guy.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

     "Ughhh!" I groan, frustrated. "Why is dancing so hard?"

     "Uhm...hey..."

      I turn around to find a boy with mushroom-like hair in the doorway. "Oh hey.Minghao, right?"

      He nods, "You're trying to learn the 'Just Right' choreography right?"

      "Yeah, it's really hard," I complain.

      "Want me to teach you? I'm part of the performance unit in SEVENTEEN," he asks gently.

        I nod my head at his offer. He taught me the chorus first, patiently teaching me step-by-step.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

      After an hour, I got down half the choreography. Minghao was a way better teacher than Hoshi - a way more patient one too.

       "Let's take a break," I pant.

      Minghao merely nods. In the short span of 1 hour, I could already tell he was a very quiet, shy kid. He doesn't really talk much if he doesn't have to and rarely initiates conversation. So, I decided to break the ice.

      "Hey, could you show me some moves?" I ask him.

       "Well uhm I used to b-boy," he murmurs before showing me his b-boy skills.

        My jaw drops as I watch him in admiration. Is everyone from this SEVENTEEN group THAT talented?

      "Woah," is all I manage to say.

----------------------------------------------------------
>>irah<<

Hey, you cutie;)

Yeah this was a boring chapter. Sorry. I wanted to show the progression in character and stuff so.

But be patient and wait a little bit more okay?:)

Oh and I did try to learn the 'Just Right' choreography but I gave up when I reached the chorus. Yeah, Baek Ah Reum is basically me.