(2) The reason

The Affair

 

 

Kim Hyunjoong – Jung Somin couple was famous like hell. The day they kissed in front of public, people kept on paying attention to everything that they did; every single thing, as if they were expecting them to slip and crumble into pieces. But it never did. It had been almost five years since they were together and they were still as strong as ever. Hyunjoong acted like mature and responsible man that he never misused Somin’s trust and she did exactly the same thing. It was almost five years and they already talked about marriage.

 

“We have enough.” Hyunjoong said, getting eager nods from Somin. “A little more and we will get that tiny house.”

 

“And, says who you are allowed to get marry before I am?” Jaejoong sipped his red wine slowly.

 

“Yah, Hyung! You said that you agreed!” Hyunjoong snapped - Jaejoong was his older brother.

 

“I agreed that you were going out with this talkative lady but not getting married.” He teased his younger brother.

 

“But-“

 

“That’s ok, honey. Besides, we are still young. And, you-“ Somin took Hyunjoong’s hand and squeezed it lightly.  “Still have to learn more about running the company. Look at Jaejoong Oppa- His wrinkles-“

 

“Mwo?” Jaejoong hurriedly touched his face. “I have wrinkles?”

 

Somin laughed. “Kidding, Oppa.”

 

“Tsk! You little rascal! You know that my face is my hot button.”

 

“I know.”

 

Hyunjoong took his hand from Somin and crossed it above his chest. “Seriously, Hyung. I need your approval and support. You know that Eomma is trying to set me up into that stupid arranged marriage.”

 

Somin became tense. A month ago, in sudden, Hyunjoong’s Eomma became total stranger toward her. She used to act sweet and friendly but it disappeared. When Somin made her routine visit at Hyunjoong’s residence, Kim Eomma greeted her coldly. She even didn’t grant Somin with a smile – not even one. A week after, Hyunjoong told her that his Eomma stated he was engaged to someone. And, that someone was not Somin.

 

Jaejoong sighed heavily and rubbed the bridge of his nose.

 

“Why me, Hyung? I am not the crowned prince. It is you from the beginning. Why me?”

 

“You know that I cannot give you the answer, Hyunjoong. I also have no idea. And, believe me- I asked Appa and he also didn’t have the answer.”

 

“And- That woman-“

 

“Eomma said that both of you will meet this weekend.”

 

“I am not going to meet her.” Hyunjoong stubbornly said.

 

“You have to. Go and meet her. Tell her that you want to call off the wedding. Tell her that you already have Somin.” Jaejoong tried to reason.

 

Hyunjoong went silence. While Somin kept on playing with her fingers. Too good to be true, huh? She knew and got the feeling that everything Hyunjoong’s related was too good, too smooth and too much. Five years without meaningful hurdles and now- here come the tests!

 

“It can’t be that easy.”

 

“Well, you have to try first. Maybe it works. Maybe it doesn’t. But, who knows?” Jaejoong moved forward until his chest touched the table. “Don’t worry- I will walk with you, Hyunjoong. I think noisy children from you and you are ok to accompany me at my old age.”

 

Somin smiled in relief. “Thank you, Oppa.”

 

“Don’t thank me yet. You haven’t won the battle.”

 

“Somin-ah..” Hyunjoong softly called her.

 

Somin turned her face and looked at her lover’s face.

 

His stare softened as always every time their eyes found each other. “You have to stay strong. Stand beside me. Don’t you ever give up on me.”

 

She smiled lovingly in response. “Yes, Hyunjoong.”

 

“Tsk! What a love bird!” Jaejoong emptied his glass and wandered his sight. “Eh, that is Kim Yujin?”

 

“Where?” Somin looked around.

 

“At the corner. With a man.”

 

Somin narrowed her eyes for better vision. Yes. She saw her best friend with a man, sitting side by side. They seemed know each other very well. Yujin and that man talked intimately.

 

“I don’t know that she is seeing someone.” Hyunjoong said.

 

Somin tilted her head a little.  “Me too.”

 

“Stop staring! That’s not polite.” Jaejoong stood up. “And, leave them alone. It seems that they are getting their wonderful time soon.”

 

“Where are you going, Hyung?”

 

“Home. And I believed I heard that you guys planned to watch theater in an hour?” He looked at his wrist watch.

 

Somin clapped her hand excitedly. “Oh, yes. Come on Hyunjoong.”

 

“Come with us, Hyung.”

 

“Nah.” Jaejoong waved his hand. “I refuse to see both of you kissing endlessly.”

 

“Mwo? We never-“

 

Jaejoong laughed and walked away. “See ya.”

 

Somin closed her face with both palms and shook her head, feelling embarrassed.

 

Hyunjoong grinned widely and dragged her to stand up. “Let’s go.”

 

“How can he say that? He had never red handed us while kissing, hadn’t he?”

 

“He was mocking us. You know Jaejoong Hyung.” He took her away from the place while holding her hand.

 

“But-“ 

 

“No but- He was just joking.”

 

“Really? Are you sure?”

 

Hyunjoong encircled her waist and pulled her closer. “I am sure. Besides, he sleeps around. Seeing us kiss- Ouch.” He rubbed the spot she pinched before.

 

“You are unbelievable.”

 

“I am.” Hyunjoong placed short kiss on her cheek.

 

And, they left the place.

 

From a far, a pair of eye watched them closely, full with hatred. The owner of those eyes hissed in annoyance and gritted her teeth. Kim Yujin. She was the one.

 

"Don't worry Yujin-ssi. I'll get it done as soon as possible."

 

"I want that as-soon-as-possible means this week."

 

"This week?"

 

"I will meet him as his fiancee." Her smile sprung automatically, claiming her early victory. "-finally."

 

"Well, I am just being curious. How about that woman? She is your best friend, right?"

 

That victorious smile vanished from Yujin's face. "She is."

 

"Then? Well.. It is not my concern but-"

 

"She won't mind." Yujin responded fast. "She already has him for almost five years. That is enough. Now is my turn. If she is my truly best friend, she won't mind of sharing. In addition, without doubt, I will take a good care of him."

 

 

 

 

 

"Hyunjoong must marry Kim Yujin. Not Jung Somin."

 

"Why in sudden, Yeobo? You loved Somin. You always said that she would be the greatest wife for Hyunjoong. I don't get it."

 

"I changed my mind."

 

"You can't suddenly change your mind. Look, Hyunjoong and Somin-"

 

"They can't be together. They can't."

 

"Yeobo- That Kim Yujin- She is Somin’s best friend. Somin introduced us once. She will not agree."

 

“She will.”

 

“Seriously, Yeobo. By doing this, you are going to ruin Hyunjoong’s life. He was never this serious about something beside football. Since he has this relationship with Somin, he changes to a better person. And, tearing them apart-“

 

“I don’t want to listen anymore. Hyunjoong must be Yujin’s husband. That’s final.” Kim Eomma stood up and left Kim Appa alone in the living room. She knew. She knew it that she was going to turn Hyunjoong’s life into hell. She knew that her son would never love anyone else beside Somin. And she- She admitted that Somin would always be the perfect wife for her son. But- no. Despite the broken heart she felt for disappointing her son, Kim Eomma had bigger fear. A nightmare that Yujin knew and used to break Hyunjoong and Somin also claimed him as her.

 

 

 

Hyunjoong sighed in annoyance and anger as he waited for his so-call-fiancee-to-be. Already ten minutes late and even though he prayed for her for not coming or at least getting into accident and dying, he couldn’t help to also feel nervous. “Ah, seriously-“ He hissed. He looked down at his wrist watch. “I am going to leave this place if-“

 

“I am sorry for being late.”

 

He raised his sight and widened his eyes in shock. “Kim Yujin?”

 

“Hyunjoong?” Yujin faked a shocked expression.

 

Hyunjoong stood up. “You?” He appointed to her. “You are-“

 

“Don’t tell me?” She pretended to feel surprise. “My fiancée?”

 

“No!” Hyunjoong snapped. “I will never be your fiancée. Not in this life time. I belong to Somin.”

 

Yujin felt hurt inside when she heard him saying. But again, her mind moved fast. “Of course- I know that.” So, she was just a great actress. “Eomoni didn’t tell me-“

 

“So, we are going to call this wedding off, right?” Hyunjoong smiled in relief. “Thanks God it is you. You understand that Somin is the only woman for me. She is the one. It will never be yours or anyone else. Never.”

 

STAB! Another pain was obvious inside Yujin’s heart. Damn it!

 

“I have to tell Somin. She is feeling worry for nothing.” Hyunjoong took out his phone. “Well, since it is you and our situation is crystal clear. I am going first, ok? I want to see my beloved. See you around.” Just like that, Hyunjoong walked away from her, leaving Yujin dumbfounded.

 

Yujin locked her sight at Hyunjoong who left the place without looking back at her. He vanished while talking on the phone. He was calling Somin, that’s was for sure. Yujin gritted her teeth in hatred. “Oh, I am going to get you, Hyunjoong. Whatever it takes. I acknowledged you first. That stupid ball accident brought you to Somin but you were mine from the start. I am taking what is mine.”

 

 

 

 

 

“I cannot force Hyunjoong-“

 

“Well, you have to! I want him as my husband in a week.”

 

“Hyunjoong will never-“

 

“I don’t give a damn!” Yujin hissed between her teeth. “You choose Mrs Kim. If you keep on being stubborn like this, I can’t guarantee that the fact isn’t going to pop up suddenly in front your husband nose.”

 

Kim Eomma became pale. “Don’t you dare, Kim Yujin.”

 

“Oh, try me.” Yujin shoved her hairs to the back of her shoulder. “Work with me. And everyone will be happy.”

 

“Except for Hyunjoong and Somin.”

 

“Ah, forget about Somin. She is no one for you anyway. As for Hyunjoong- Don’t worry, I even save my ity for him. He will be happy.”

 

“You are disgusting.”

 

Yujin laughed. “Me? Disgusting? Do you need a mirror?”

 

Kim Eomma felt angry, humiliated yet sad that she was nearly crying.

 

“You know that your tears won’t make me change my mind.”

 

“You are killing me.”

 

“Then die if you have to! I want him. I want Kim Hyunjoong and you are going to help me. Or everyone will know that the awesome and perfect Mrs Kim Ji Hyo was once a murderer for aborting her child twice, neglecting her down syndrome child until he died just because she ed her own brother!” Yujin stood up and rushed out from that private room.

 

 

 

 

 

“What’s this?”

 

“Read it carefully.”

 

Somin narrowed her eyes in suspicious as she saw Yujin who sipped her hot coffee carefully. Their eyes locked. However, Somin could feel that Yujin had this winning aura around her. Something is wrong. “Just tell me.”

 

Yujin put down her cup and smiled slightly. “We have been best friends since forever, Somin-ah. It is hard for me to tell you. But, I have no other option. I prefer you to hear it directly from my mouth.”

 

Somin’s whole body became tense. Hyunjoong! His name came into Somin’s head when she saw a glint of happiness on Yujin’s eyes.

 

“You see. Those papers explain that Hyunjoong and I are husband and wife now, Somin-ah. We were married last night.”

 

Somin gasped in shock. NO!

 

Yujin tried to hide her big smile when she saw Somin’s shocked expression. “Our family decided to accelerate the wedding. And it happened last night. Didn’t you wonder where he was last night? I knew that you tried to call him. Too bad he ignored you.”

 

Somin stood up in fast manner. When she felt that she lost her strength, she placed one of her palm over the table. “You are saying lies.”

 

“Lies?” Yujin faked pain face. She hurriedly opened the document to the most important page. “See!” She appointed to the spot eagerly. “Kim Hyunjoong, husband. Kim Yujin, wife. Look at his signature. Can’t you recognize it?”

 

Somin stared blankly to the page. Of course she recognized his signature. She knew him inside out, just so she thought. But now.. No! He cannot marry her. He just can’t! He said that he loved me! Only me!

 

Yujin knew that she got her. Somin believed her words. “He hasn’t told you because he doesn’t know how. So, despite letting you down further than this, I take the role.”

 

Silently, Somin started to shed tears. Unbearable pains attacked her heart. Her dream.. It was ruined to the point she believed to dreams no more. Kim Hyunjoong, how could you?!

 

“Somin! Sweetheart!”

 

Somin knew that voice. In snap, she turned her face and saw worried Hyunjoong. He glared to Yujin but his stare softened when it was directed to her. “You are her husband now?”

 

Hyunjoong stopped his walk. “How-“ Then he saw the scattered papers over the table.

 

“Did you marry her last night? On our anniversary night?”

 

“Somin-“

 

“HOW COULD YOU?!” Somin shouted out loud between tears.

 

Hyunjoong enveloped her petite body and refused to let go even though Somin pushed him away with all she had. “Listen. Please listen to me.”

 

“I DON’T WANT! YOU VIOLATED EVERYTHING THAT WE HAVE!” She smacked his chest over and over again. “HOW COULD YOU?! HOW COULD YOU, HYUNJOONG?!”

 

He cupped her teary face to make it stay still and meet their eyes. “Listen. You have to believe me.”

 

“You cannot offer me anything else, Hyunjoong.” She shook her head. “You are someone else’s husband now.”

 

“Look.”

 

“Let go off me.”

 

“Somin-“

 

“Let her go, hubby. Or you will hurt her more.” Yujin stood up with such satisfaction. Finally. Finally she ruined the perfect couple and had the man only for her. Oh. How much she desired him. But for years, he was belonged to Jung Somin, her own best friend.

 

Hyunjoong turned his face to Yujin. “Stay away from us.”

 

Yujin smiled knowingly. “Stay away from you? How can I? How can I let my husband chase another woman that is not me?” She looked at Somin. “You don’t want it too, right, Somin?”

 

“KIM YUJIN!” Hyunjoong hissed between his teeth.

 

Yujin smirked evilly and in fast manner kissed Hyunjoong right in front of Somin’s eyes.

 

“!” Hyunjoong cursed as he pulled over.

 

“Remember, Somin. He is mine now. Please.. Don’t bother to fight him back.” Yujin caressed Somin’s arm. “I will never let him go.”
 

Somin gritted her teeth and released herself from Hyunjoong. Without other words, she turned away and ran.

 

“SOMIN!”

 

“Stay!” Yujin took Hyunjoong’s hand. “Entertain me.”

 

“In your dream.” With such hatred he shoved her hands and ran toward Somin.

 

Yujin gathered the papers and laughed. “You heard me, Kim Hyunjoong. I will never let you go. No matter what.”