(5) The chance

The Affair

 

 

"Somin-ssi? Is there something wrong?" Gyuri muttered to Somin after she caught her spacing out several times. She even saw Somin's hands trembling. Her face became paler. And, her eyes- It was like tears were pooling on both.

 

"Eh-" Somin glimpsed to Gyuri. "Hm- Nothing." She suddenly stood up. "Excuse me- I need to- Toilet." Nervously, she walked away from the table with Hyunjoong's eyes glued on her. She knew it. She had the feeling that Hyunjoong’s sight was practically locked over her since the beginning even though she tried hard for not looking back at him. And, the situation was too much for her unhealed heart.

 

"Is Somin ok?" Yunho suddenly asked Gyuri.

 

"She was ok when I handed her my sandwich this morning. But-" Gyuri stared to the toilet's door with concern. "I don't know."

 

"Maybe she just feels nervous. Besides, this is her first project." Changmin tried to think positive.

 

"Ah, that's possible." Yunho responded.

 

"She is new?" Hyunjoong carefully asked.

 

"Who? Somin? Ah yes, she is not one of my architects to be honest. She is my Personal Assistant. She is not new in the business. But, she is new as team member. As I said, this is her first project since she started to work at my company three years ago."

 

Oh. Hyunjoong nodded. So, you are here all along. He smiled meaningfully. After all these years he tried hard to locate her wellbeing, who could tell that God letting them meet just like this.

 

"But I assure you, Mr Kim. Somin may not have the experience. But, she will work hard and will not let you down." Changmin said.

 

"Of course. I am sure she will." And now, that I find you back, I will not let you down too, Somin-ah. Hyunjoong made a mental promise.

 

The discussion went well. After she was splashing water onto her face and chanting that Hyunjoong couldn't see her breaking down, Somin was finally able to collect herself. They reached the end after two hours spilling ideas into draft. Even though there was thunder inside her heart, Somin managed to put everything properly over the papers.

 

"We'll meet again in two days with clearer concept." Changmin shook Hyunjoong's hand.

 

Hyunjoong just nodded once before he threw a glimpse toward Somin who seemed to assume that her shoes were more interesting than the conversation. He smiled slightly. It wouldn't be easy to win her back. But, he would keep on fighting will all he had.

 

BUZZ! "Excuse me." Changmin moved away and took the call.

 

"Gyuri-ssi, you are going with me." Yunho said. "We have lunch meeting with Mr Ahn."

 

"Oh. Right. So, you are going with Mr Shim, Somin-ssi."

 

Somin nodded and smiled.

 

"I am sorry." Changmin returned. "My Eunjung needs me home. She just made my favorite foods and wanted me to give it a try." He laughed, full with affection.

 

"Miss Ham? Eh- I meant- Mrs Shim?" Gyuri asked, earning a single nod from Changmin. "But, she never cooked."

 

"Exactly!" Changmin snapped then grinned happily. "She tried hard. I have to go. Eh Yunho- Before you are going to Mr Ahn's place-"

 

Yunho nodded, "Don't worry. I will take Somin-"

 

"I am heading to a place near your head office." Hyunjoong suddenly said. "I don't mind taking Miss Jung-"

 

"NO!" Somin responded fast, making the others turned their faces toward her. "Eh-" She blushed slightly, feeling embarrassed. "I don't mind taking the bus. It's fine."

 

"No, Somin-ssi." Changmin smiled. He knew that Somin was that kind of woman. She didn't want to burden anyone. "You shouldn't take the bus."

 

"I don't want-"

 

"I don't mind." Hyunjoong stated. "Besides, I want to see your notes. I may add some ideas."

 

Somin's heart nearly jumped to the floor hearing the words from Hyunjoong. He was using his card very well. When it came to business, what he trying to do was just making sense. And, she couldn't say no.

 

"Are you sure, Mr Kim?" Changmin asked.

 

Hyunjoong nodded firmly.

 

"Alright then. Thank you before." Changmin said, feeling relief. He knew that Somin would be safe with him. And, since this was her first project, being close with the client was necessary. "I am going first everyone."

 

"We should get going too, Gyuri-ssi."

 

"Ok." After giving Somin few tap on her shoulder, Gyuri followed Yunho to his car, leaving Hyunjoong and Somin in perfect silent.

 

"How are you?" Hyunjoong asked after he called his driver.

 

Somin sighed deeply. "I live." She still refused to look at him.

 

Hyunjoong smiled bitterly. She lived. What sarcasm! "So, you are staying here since three years ago?"

 

"Yes."

 

"I had been trying hard to find you."

 

Somin closed her eyes tight as the pain from the past attacked her heart again.

 

"Somin- Sweetheart-"

 

Somin looked up and gazed at him with clouded eyes. "Stop it! Please stop!" Her crack voice was heard.

 

Hyunjoong froze to see her reaction. A part of him felt happy because the reaction showed that she still had feeling for him. But, the other part shared the same pain she felt. And, he hated that.

 

"Leave me alone. I've moved on. I love my life here. Please-"

 

Hyunjoong tried to reach her but she flinched away.

 

"I am leaving." With that she headed to the nearest bus stop.

 

Hyunjoong just looked at her without doing anything. He didn't want to rush anything. He had a slight hope. He knew it. He could feel it. And, he didn't want to ruin it. His car stopped In front of him as his eyes caught that Somin already stepped into a bus.

 

"Follow that bus." He gave order to his driver.

 

He followed her with his car. He knew that she cried on her way to the office and he again made a mental promise for not letting her cry again after this.

 

"Sir?"

 

"Hm?"

 

"Our next destination?"

 

"Oh yes." It had been an hour they stayed at Somin office's parking lot. And it had been an hour since he witnessed her walk into the building. Hyunjoong rubbed his neck and suddenly felt troubled. How to win her back? "To the apartment."

 

 

 

 

 

Oh God! Why now? Why in sudden? Just when she started to move on! Moving on? Ah, come on- Who were she was trying to fool? She would never move on from Kim Hyunjoong. Not now. Not ever. He filled her heart thoroughly and lethal.

 

Today was a complete mess for her. Since her so called conversation with Hyunjoong, Somin couldn't recognize herself anymore. Tears continuously filled her eyes. She tried to fight it. She tried to hold it. Sometimes she made it; sometimes it just flooded her face in snap.

 

Her office mates could also conclude that today something bothered her to the core. That something was too painful for her that whenever they caught her crying, they also held their breath.

 

"I am fine, Mr Shim." Somin said when in the evening, Changmin called her into his office.

 

Changmin smiled. He knew that she was far from being fine. This situation- she was back to square one. This was exactly what she looked like three years ago. "Look, Somin-ah.. We have been together for years. I can tell when you are ok and when you are not. And now- I am seeing the old Jung Somin." He moved forward. "Go home and rest. Take a day off for tomorrow."

 

Somin shook her head slowly and again nearly cried since she was touched by her boss understanding. "I still have lots of thing to be done."

 

"You cannot work with that red nose and swollen eyes. People will assume me overwork or torture you." Changmin laughed.

 

Somin just smiled slightly seeing her boss antic.

 

"Home and rest. Today and tomorrow. You deserve it. You haven't taken proper day off since the beginning of this year if I am not mistaken. Come back to the office after you feel better, arraso?"

 

Somin nodded once. "Thank you, Mr Shim."

 

This was why she loved to live here. Her family, friends slash office mates- They were all nice to her. She couldn't think of better place aside Incheon.

 

 

 

 

 

Her way home was full with silence, as usual. She thought about it over and over again. She realized that she had to face him again in the future. However, she was part of team member for Hyunjoong's project. Somin sighed deeply. The thing that bothered her so much was- He called her sweetheart. And, the fact that she was no longer his sweetheart- it hurt.

 

Somin walked toward her apartment building slowly.  She still tried hard to gather herself. If Eomma Jung saw her like this- She would feel curious. And, Somin didn't want her Eomma to know that Hyunjoong was in the city.

 

"Eomma! I'm-" Somin stunned when she saw that her Eomma had company. And, that company was no one else but Kim Hyunjoong. "What-" She choked back her words.

 

"Somin-ah, you come early." Jung Eomma smiled and stood up. "Hyunjoong-" She glimpsed at Hyunjoong who already standing up behind Jung Eomma. "He came by just now. And-"

 

"I am going to my room." Somin walked directly toward her room, ignoring Hyunjoong completely.

 

Hyunjoong and Jung Eomma said nothing and watched her disappearing behind the door.

 

"You should give her more time."

 

"I am willing to wait even for eternity, Eomma."

 

Jung Eomma sighed deeply and sat back over the couch with Hyunjoong followed through. "Have you settled everything with Yujin?"

 

Heavily, Hyunjoong shook his head. "She gave me hard times. She refused to give in and sign the divorce papers. She is obsessed. And I-"

 

Jung Eomma said nothing but she fully understood the situation. Of course that woman was obsessed what other explanations that explained her behaviors. Poor Somin- She was stabbed at her behind by her own best friend.

 

"The best I can do for now is staying away from her. I have been moving cities for the last three years. I seriously- What should I do, Eomma? I can't- I need Somin. She is the only woman that I want as the mother of my children." Unconsciously, he started to shed tears.

 

From inside the room, Somin who leaned against the door also cried silently. Why? Why them? She noticed that he was still in love with her. But, how about Yujin? She was his wife. And, from his words, Yujin would never let him go.

 

"It had been three years but Somin said nothing about what happened. She just chants that you are Yujin's husband now." Jung Eomma said. "Tell me, from the beginning- How in sudden Yujin came into the picture?"

 

How in sudden Yujin came into the picture? Even though her heart was in ultimate pain, Somin stopped her cries and focused herself to hear the story. She knew Hyunjoong- He was never- He was always faithful. He was never disappointed her before. Not until Yujin showed her true colors. Kim Yujin- Why were you doing this to me? To Hyunjoong and me?

 

“Eomma always said that Somin would become the most perfect wife for me. She loved her dearly. Then in snap, she changed. Out of nowhere she said that I was engaged to someone else. And, that someone was Yujin. I never knew clearly why Yujin suddenly popped into the story. Our families were not business related. Even Eomma knew her because of Somin. So, why her- I couldn’t explain. Even though after all these years, I didn’t try to find out.” Hyunjoong took a pause before he looked up to Jung Eomma. “Jaejoong Hyung had assumptions though. But still- We haven’t confirmed it yet.”

 

“What assumptions?”

 

“That Eomma- She had something from her past that she hid and somehow Yujin knew it.”

 

“And she used it to get you?” Jung Eomma concluded.

 

Hyunjoong nodded. “What other explanation that made sense? Ever since Eomma forced me to marry Yujin, she became another person I didn’t know. She forced me but I also noticed that she was in pain. She was helpless. She was dragging herself from us. She often locked herself inside her room, crying. She would never do that if she was not in guilt.”

 

“That’s awful.”

 

“Jaejoong Hyung still tries hard to find out about the truth. That’s why- For the meantime, I just need to secure myself from Yujin.”

 

Total silence filled the whole apartment. The three of them were busy with their own thought. Jung Eomma admitted- after she heard about what happened from Hyunjoong – that something was not right, that Yujin had mental problem.  Somin stunned to hear the explanation. He was forced? But- He should- She suddenly opened up the door, making Hyunjoong and Jung Eomma shifted their sights and gazed at her. As she held the doorknob tightly, Somin said, “You should have- Why did you- Still, you broke our promises.” She hissed between tears that already fell down to her face.

 

Hyunjoong absentmindedly walked closer and stopped when he was right in front of her. “Eomma took a knife and put it over just to make me sign the paper. Forgive me- I couldn’t-“

 

Somin cried harder and hang her face low.

 

“To save her- I had to break our vows. But believe me-“ Hyunjoong also started to sob. “Somin, I love you. Please stay. I will make things right. I will come back to you. Don’t run- Don’t push me away. Please- I need you beside me.”

 

Jung Eomma smiled and slowly headed to the kitchen. It seemed that they found each other again.

 

Somin slowly raised her face to look at him. Her heart moved rapidly inside its cage when their eyes met. Seeing his beautiful face, his longing stares, she realized that she missed him like crazy, that whatever she did, she was also still in love with him. "How did we end up here, Hyunjoong? What did we do wrong? Why should we fight for the love that we had? Why us?”

 

Hyunjoong raised his hand and placed his palm on her right cheek. “I don’t know. I have no answers for every question that you have. One thing for sure, you are the only one I am terrified of losing. Not again. So, please- Let me stay next to you.”

 

 

 

 

 

“Yujin-ah? What are you doing here?” Kwanghee asked after he found Yujin sitting all alone at the bar. He took vacant seat next to her and ordered liquor for himself. “Where is Hyunjoong?”

 

Yujin scoffed. “Please- As if you don’t know!”

 

Kwanghee smiled. Of course he knew. He had been their friends for years. He knew that Yujin and Hyunjoong faced problems in their marriage. The problem she created herself. “Then, you are here because you feel what? Stressed out?”

 

Yujin gulped her liquor in one-shot. “I am here because I am lonely, ok? That I am married but I am lonely.” She leaned to Kwanghee and whispered, “That I am somebody’s wife but still untouched.” She encircled Kwanghee’s neck and sniffed his neck, sending chill down to his spine. “Kwanghee-ah, as consenting adult, let’s have fun.”

 

“Yujin-ah,” He tried to shove her away with no success. She tightened her grip all over him. “What are you saying?”

 

“Don’t you want to help a friend? Do you really prefer me having fun with random guy?”

 

“Hyunjoong is my best friend.”

 

Yujin giggled. “I know. That’s why- You should take care of his wife whenever he isn’t around, right?” She planted chase kisses on his jaw and dangerously close to his lips. “I know you desire me, Kwanghee-ah. Now, this is your chance.”