(4) The time

The Affair

 

 

The sunlight that sneaked between curtains was too bright for his sore eyes. The more his brain worked the more he felt dizzy to the stage of having the urge to puke. Hyunjoong groaned loudly and tried to move himself.  But then- He felt numb. His right arm was stoned. Something- Slowly, he opened his eyes and turned his face. "WHAT THE-" He moved away fast.

 

"Ow!"

 

Hyunjoong noticed that he was when he was on his feet. And, seeing Yujin there, next to him, she was too.  "WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!" He yelled. “WHAT ARE YOU DOING AT MY BED?!"

 

Yujin sat up and let her bare chest revealed. "Where else should I be? I am your wife, remember? It just makes sense that I stay here. You were not complaining last night, especially not when we consummated our marriage." Yujin rubbed her crotch area slowly. "Ah, I am still feeling hurt. Told you it was my first, and yet you still went rough."

 

Hyunjoong stiffened hearing the words for . What? Last night? Consummated the marriage? They had ? Really? Oh my God! He rubbed his face harshly. He shouldn't drink alcohol last night. He shouldn't lose his sanity. Damn it!

 

"Hyunjoong-" Yujin crawled toward him and his bare thigh. "I can manage. Let's-"

 

"!” He rushed toward the bathroom, wanting to erase her tracks entirely. Oh my God! Somin, forgive me. Tears rolled down to his cheeks when he the warm water. He couldn’t remember- He didn’t want to recall. Oh God! He punched the wall several times as guilt built fast inside his heart. After the first punch, he already made his knuckle swollen. The next one made them bleeding. But, he didn't care. He seriously didn’t care.

 

Yujin laughed with such satisfaction and stood up; wrapping the comforter all over her body. I got you, Kim Hyunjoong! You are under my mercy now. She headed to Hyunjoong’s wardrobe and took one of his white shirts. Being shameless, Yujin put it on without anything under. This will do. And, she walked out from the room.

 

 

 

 

 

As expected, Yujin’s appearance shocked everyone who saw her. They knew that she had nothing under the shirt. While she was whistling happily toward Kim’s dining room, people shook their heads in disgust. How could that kind of woman becoming Mr Kim Hyunjoong’s wife? Due to their disappointments, they realized that Madam Kim took back her approval over Somin. But- choosing Kim Yujin? Choosing this kind of woman? As if there were no other choices.

 

“Morning all!” She greeted Kim Family who already sat around the dining table.

 

Seeing her the way she was, Kim Appa and Kim Eomma widened their eyes in surprise while Jaejoong just smirked knowingly. Jaejoong knew that she would do anything to strengthen her position as Hyunjoong’s wife, include showing everyone that he was hers now. Wearing his shirt after their first night- Seriously, seeing the situation, nothing could be considered lovely or sweet.

 

“Ah, I am so starving.” She took place across Jaejoong. “Hyunjoong-“ She giggled giddily. “Last night, he was so wild! Who would think that after he rejected me with all he had, at our first night together, we consummated our marriage, huh?”

 

What? Kim Eomma closed her eyes, feeling extremely sad. No! They already did that? God, no!

 

Jaejoong narrowed his eyes and studied Yujin entirely, intently. They had ? Hyunjoong and Yujin? Crap! He lost it. But wait- There was no this particular shine on her face. Jaejoong was a hard player. He knew that women used to have this signature shine every time they had , every time they felt satisfied. And, Yujin- Her body, her scent, did not scream . No!

 

“He drained my energy.” Yujin sighed deeply. “I need to recharge my energy for our next rounds.”

 

“Stop talking!” Kim Appa snapped. “Don’t you feel ashamed?”

 

“Nope.” Yujin took a glass of water and drank it all slowly. “Hyunjoong and I are husband and wife. Why should I-“

 

“Well- I prefer for not hearing anything about your marriage, especially your life with my son.” Kim Appa sternly said. He stared at smiling Yujin then turned his face to his wife. “I said nothing before. But now, I want to make it clear that you might already sign the paper and be Hyunjoong’s wife. However, you will never me by daughter in law by heart.” With that he stood up and leaved the place, leaving pregnant silence amongst the other.

 

Yujin scoffed. Would never be his daughter in law by heart? Who care?!

 

“Uhm-“ Jaejoong cleared his throat. “What do you want for breakfast, Yujin-ah?”

 

Kim Eomma shifted her sight to Jaejoong, somehow feeling weird. How could he act this friendly toward Yujin? As far as she knew, Jaejoong was also against the idea of marrying Hyunjoong and Yujin.

 

Yujin looked at Jaejoong’s plate.  “Pancakes look good.”

 

Jaejoong smiled and signaled the maid to serve Yujin.

 

“Eh, please go to my room and tell my husband that I am already having my breakfast and waiting for him at the dining room.” Yujin said to the maid who served her breakfast.

 

The maid nodded politely and excused herself.

 

“So, how is it?” Jaejoong asked after Yujin had her first bite.

 

Yujin smiled. “Delicious.”

 

“Geum Ahjumma’s pancake is the best.”

 

Before replying, Yujin’s eyes caught the maid she asked to look for Hyunjoong. “Where is Hyunjoong?”

 

“Mr Kim already left.”

 

“Left?”
 

 
 

 

 

“Eomma? Somin- Please opens up.”  Hyunjoong pleaded between knocking. It had been minutes since he arrived and knocked. And, it had been also minutes since he got no response. The house was too peaceful for his taste. Something was missing. He couldn’t tell what but he could feel it. “Jung Somin!” He started to lose hope. They are not home.

 

“Young man, that is useless.”

 

Hyunjoong turned his face and saw Somin’s neighbor that he already knew for years. “Mr Kang- Somin and Eomma-“

 

“They were moving out.”

 

Hyunjoong froze. Mwo? Moving out?

 

“Early in the morning. They were in such hurry. They even didn’t have the time to tell me where they were heading to.” Mr Kang told him everything even though Hyunjoong hadn’t found his tongue to ask.

 

“Move- Moving out?” Hyunjoong muttered helplessly.

 

Mr Kang nodded. “You don’t know? Somin didn’t tell you?”

 

This was nightmare! They left? She left? She seriously didn’t want to give him another chance? She had to understand that he- Hyunjoong was never- Somin, where did you go?

 
 

 

Somin took off her sunglasses and put it carefully over the coffee table. She walked around and explored their new apartment with her swollen eyes. After they decided to leave Seoul, Jung Eomma hurriedly contacted her school friend who lived at Incheon and asked her about the place they could stay. Luckily, one of her apartments was vacant. And, without second thought, they took it.

 

“Somin, dear.”

 

“Hm?”

 

“Go to your room and rest.”

 

“I don’t feel like resting, Eomma.”

 

“But you have to. You had been crying all night long. Rest now. Even though it isn’t possible for you to sleep, at least lying at your bed is good enough.”

 

Somin watched her Eomma unpacked their belongings. “Eomma- Forgive me.” She felt guilty to drag her into the problem. The thing was- She seriously didn’t have the heart to watch Hyunjoong and Yujin. The kiss before- Even though her heart said Hyunjoong didn’t enjoy it, that Yujin forced him- But still, it hurt. Seeing them again like that in the future, it will be too painful for her poor heart.

 

“For what?”

 

“For dragging you into my mess.”

 

Jung Eomma smiled. “I am your Eomma. If you are not dragging me then who else? Besides, there are only the two of us now-“ She locked her eyes with Somin’s. “We have to stay strong, ok?”

 

Somin smiled back. “Thank you, Eomma.”

 

“When you are ready to share- Tell me everything. I want to know.”

 

Somin nodded. “I will. But now- I just want to keep it inside.”

 

“That will bring you no good, you know that.”

 

Somin sighed deeply. “I don’t know what is good anymore.” When Jung Eomma wanted to talk again, Somin hurriedly said, “I am going to my room. Once again, thank you for being with me.”

 

“You are welcome.”

 

 
 

 

 

“Ah, there you are! What are you doing here?” It was almost noon when Jaejoong made a lucky guess to come to the office, head directly to Hyunjoong’s office and find him sitting in silence over his long couch. “I’ve been looking for you.” Seeing his dongsaeng swollen face, it didn’t take a genius to know that he was crying silently – pitying himself, crying his miserable life.

 

Hyunjoong dried his face with no avail and propped the way he sat.

 

Jaejoong took place next to him. “Whatever happened, don’t you dare committing suicide, ok?”

 

“She is leaving me, hyung.” Again, Hyunjoong started to cry. “Somin is-“

 

So, she left. Jaejoong smiled. He knew this would be happening. It was just making sense. Who could stand to see her beloved married her own best friend? By force or not- Especially after they built dreams together. “Good for her.”

 

Hyunjoong stared in shock toward his big brother.

 

“It is better for her to stay away for a while. Or else, her heart will be broken completely.” Jaejoong explained. “She needs her time alone and so do you. You have to fix this first before you fight for her heart again, Hyunjoong-ah.”

 

“But- Hyung-“

 

“Staying here brings her no good. Seeing you or Yujin- It is like pouring salt into her wounded heart. Thanks God she leaved.”

 

“I cannot- Without her- Iam dying, Hyung.”

 

“Look, do you really want her to know that you slept with Yujin already?”

 

Hyunjoong stoned. How could he know? How could his Hyung know about that ?!

 

“Yujin practically let everyone assumed that both you had great last night.” Jaejoong said even before Hyunjoong asking him. “Good thing that she was acting like a making Appa stood on his feet to against her.”

 

“Appa?”

 

Jaejoong nodded. “Don’t hate him for doing nothing. He just didn’t want to face Eomma.”

 

Hyunjoong hung his head low. His Appa finally- But still- It was too late. Far too late.

 

“Listen to me, Hyunjoong. Follow my lead, I have plans.”

 

 
 

 

 

“WHAT THE HELL?!” Yujin roared. Her voice was spreading all over the residence in snap. She was in deep shock. “HOW COULD YOU, OPPA? WE ARE NEWLYWED!!”

 

“Calm down, Yujin-ah.”

 

“YOU ARE SENDING HIM TO BUSAN! HOW CAN I CALM DOWN?! DAMN IT!!”

 

“Look. That is the best way for all.”

 

“WHAT BEST WAY?!”

 

“Hyunjoong is facing mental breakdown. You cannot force him to accept you even though you slept with him already.” Jaejoong explained in fast mode. He didn’t want Yujin to cut him off. “Don’t push your luck. Or you will lose him for good. Leave him alone for a while.”

 

“I CAN’T!”

 

“Yes, you can. You have to. Somin left him already. He lost track of her.”

 

“Oh, I know-“ Yujin laughed in disbelief. “He is going to chase her! AND YOU LET HIM!”

 

“No, I am not. He is not going to look after her. There is Hyunjoong-Somin no more. Trust me.”

 

Yujin gazed deeply into Jaejoong’s eyes, trying to seek for the truth. No Hyunjoong-Somin? Is it for real? “Are you sure?”

 

“Yes.” Seeing her reaction, Jaejoong knew that he would win this. “Let him alone for a while.”

 

 
 
 

 

It had been three years after what happened. In that three years, Hyunjoong completely ignored Yujin since she dropped every way that he took to file a divorce. Yujin stayed to her vow for not letting him go and Hyunjoong happened to choose any other ways to stay far from her. He kept on moving cities by the terms to enlarge the business.  He stayed alone inside his apartment and made sure that Yujin had no access into it. But, Yujin was Yujin. Of course she had her own way.

 

Hyunjoong loosened his necktie as he headed to his apartment. Today was tiring as always. And, the main reason was his private investigator; the third one in the past three years, still didn’t give him good news. Good news about her- His Somin. Three years already. Too long. Staying away from her for three years- Suffocating! He missed her. He missed her like crazy. And today, it felt like everything was overwhelming!

 

A pair of hands prevented him to close the door behind him. In snap, Hyunjoong turned around and due to his nightmare, Yujin stood there, wearing y black mini dress. “Hi, Yeobo!” She smiled seductively and walked into the apartment.

 

Hyunjoong sighed deeply. “Get out!”

 

“You cannot throw me away. I have every right to be here.” She sat gracefully over the couch. “In case you forget, I am your wife. Whether you like it or not.”

 

“Leave!”

 

“Hyunjoong-ah..”

 

“GET THE OUT, DAMN IT!” He cried out loud, making Yujin gasped in shock.

 

Yujin was paralyzed over the couch. She never saw Hyunjoong this way. He was always cold, distant- But- He was full with anger now. His stares- piercing into her heart. No! After all these years of trying- She couldn’t lose him this way. No she couldn’t. Injecting bravery into her veins, Yujin stood up and approached Hyunjoong. “Why so harsh? Maybe we have to recall the satisfying deeds that we did at our first night together?”

 

And, she pressed his hot button. Satisfying deeds? off! Before she managed to touch him, Hyunjoong grabbed her arm and dragged her away. Harshly, he pushed her out the apartment until she bumped herself onto the wall in front. “Stay away for me. Don’t make me do anything worse than this.”

 

“You won’t dare!”

 

Hyunjoong smirked evilly. “Try me!” Then, he closed the door hard, producing loud voice and trembling the wall.

 

“ YOU, HYUNJOONG!!” Yujin screamed.

 

Inside the apartment, Hyunjoong took off his phone from his pocket and dialed Jaejoong’s number. “Hyung, I am leaving to Incheon tomorrow.”

 

Why in hurry?

 

“That is here.”

 

 
 

 

 

“Morning, Somin-ssi!”

 

Somin raised her face and saw Gyuri, her office mate. “Morning!” She smiled politely.

 

“Ah, my Eomma brought me her special sandwich. Here! This is for you.” She gave Somin a box of sandwich. “The taste is awesome. Well, I love it so much.”

 

“Uhm-“ Somin reluctantly took the box. “You don’t have to do this. I already-“

 

“I know. You already had your breakfast. That black coffee!” Gyuri appointed to the coffee cup on top of Somin’s desk. “That’s not healthy. Eat the sandwich first. You will love it.”

 

“Ok.” Again, Somin smiled politely. “I am taking this then.”

 

“That’s good. By the way- Is Mr Shim coming today?”

 

Mr Shim was their boss. Somin worked as his personal assistant. “Yes, he is. He was back from his honeymoon yesterday.”

 

“That’s good. We are going to have this important meeting with one of the biggest property companies in Korea and I think- I cannot handle it all by myself.” Gyuri grinned. “In addition, the representative is the second man in command and well- He is quite intimidating.”

 

“You will be just fine.”

 

“No, I am not. When I met him in Gwangju-“

 

“Morning, all!”

 

Somin stood up and bowed. “Morning, Mr Shim.”

 

“Miss Nam, you are already here?” Changmin faked his surprise tone.

 

“Yah, Mr Shim! I always come early.”

 

“Really?” He raised one of his brows. “But- How come today is the first day I am seeing you at this particular time since you were joining us two years ago.”

 

Somin chuckled lightly.

 

“Ara.  From now on I will come at this particular time.”

 

Changmin laughed. “That’s good. And thank God you come already. The meeting is being rescheduled. We are leaving this instant to meet him. Somin, you are coming too.”

 

“Me?”

 

“Yes. I have watched you for years- I think this is the right moment to develop your capability. You are becoming the team member for this new project.”

 

“WOW! And, I am welcoming you happily! You have no idea to work with guys!” Gyuri funnily said.

 

“Oh, wae?” Changmin grinned.

 

“Eh- Oh- Nothing, Mr Shim.”

 

“Alright. Let’s go. Yunho is heading directly to the coffee shop. We are having breakfast meeting.”

 

This was Somin for the last three years. A month after she moved to Incheon, she finally got a job. With the help of Eunjung, the daughter of Jung Eomma’s friend, she began to work at Eunjung’s boyfriend company as his secretary slash personal assistant. At first she was nervous, but Eunjung was so helpful and her boyfriend, Mr Shim, was patient enough until she was ready to stand on her own feet. It was a property company, it built houses and apartments. Except for Somin, everyone who worked there was an architect.

 

“That is Yunho.” Changmin appointed to the table at the corner.

 

The three of them headed to their friend.

 

“Mr Kim isn’t here, yet?” Changmin asked when they reached their partner.

 

Yunho stood up. “Not yet- But he should- Oh, there he is.”

 

As all of them turned their faces and saw the person, Somin became pale in snap. She gulped hard and her body trembled slightly. No! Please no! She put one of her hand over the table for support.

 

Not far, the person, Kim Hyunjoong, also stopped his walk and his eyes widened in surprise. He hurriedly took off his sunglasses and narrowed his eyes. Her! That is her! He couldn’t be wrong. His Somin!