(7) The friends

The Affair

When did the last time I updated this story?

Yes. You are right- years ago. Hehehe.  Forgive me. 

I will try to write again. Here are the new chap. A very short one.

 

 

Something was wrong. Something was bothering her. Gyuri concluded. She was curious and worried. But her smart brain said that she should keep  shut and acted like nothing happened. However her eyes kept coming back at Somin just to find her staring blankly at a pointless spot.

 

Two days ago, everything was fine, like the usual. But Somin started to act quite strangely when they had their first meeting with Mr Kim. Was it Mr Kim who made her like this? Or was it just a coincidence? Something happened with her when they had the meeting? But again, yesterday when Mr Kim was found in the lobby, saying he wanted to see Mr Shim but he suddenly canceled it when he learned that Somin was sick- Hm.. This is weird. Gyuri rubbed her chin and kept on thinking about possibilities.

 

Since she joined the company two years ago, Gyuri had always found Somin as a woman with a distant aura. Somin kept herself closed. She rarely joined the others to simply talk or joke. She wasn't arrogant. But something about her past that made her like this. One of her co-workers said that in earlier days, sometimes Somin was found crying inside the toilet cubicle or at her desk. It was so sad. Things were getting better after a year. Her cry lessened but she was still unreachable.

 

Again, Gyuri looked at Somin and found her sighing deeply. Somin didn't cry. But she seemed burdened. Gyuri doubted that Somin could concentrate at her job today. It seemed that she kept on spacing out.

 

"Don't look at her like that, Gyuri-ssi." Yunho, who sat next to Gyuri, muttered. "That's not polite. You'll make her feel uncomfortable."

 

Gyuri turned her face to Yunho. "But, I am- Don't you see her swollen face?" She sighed. "I never saw her like that."

 

Yunho nodded once. "But, this is still better than before." He stated the story when she was found crying almost everyday at every place. He admired his boss, Mr Shim, he was patient enough with her. While the other boss would send her out without doubt. Somin was beyond productive and effective at the beginning. But now, she proved that she was ok. She could catch up.

 

"What is bothering her? She is hurt. Badly." Gyuri whispered. 

 

"She wasn't herself since the meeting with Mr Kim."

Gyuri moved closer to Yunho. "You noticed it too?" She said. "Can it be Mr Kim related? I mean- just before the meeting, she was still fine. She accepted my Sandwich and ate it gladly. But after the meeting- She was different. Even Kyujong said that she cried a lot that day after the meeting. Too bad we were on another meeting and couldn't witness it."

 

Yunho moved his body. "This is not our business."

"I know. But, what if the reason for her break-down is Mr Kim and she has to endure it until we finish the project. Think about her feelings, her heart."

 

Yunho said nothing. Poor her! He glimpsed at Somin and widened his eyes when he saw the person who was approaching her.

 

Kim Hyunjoong.

 

 

 

Somin felt the heavy and rush thump inside her heart when she found Hyunjoong stood before her. He gave her his stoic expression but she still recognized his soft stare. It never changed. The stare still brought the warmth feeling- That she was special. But in the next second, she had fear. Was this allowed? He was however, someone's husband now. He shouldn't- She shouldn't- They shouldn't-

 

"Somin-ah, is Mr Shim available?"

What did he do? Why called me by my name? "Uhm-" Somin was back from her shock. She groggily stood up. 

 

But before she answered, the door of Changmin's room was opened. "Mr Kim, you are here already." He smiled and looked at Somin. "Somin-ah, I take it from here. If you don't mind, please meet Eunjung at The Corner, she is already there. I have this important meeting with Mr Kim. Accompany her for my behalf." He smiled warmly.

 

"Ah, ok Mr Shim."

 

"Mr Kim, please do come in."

 

Their eyes met before Hyunjoong walked toward Changmin and entered his room.

 

Somin released a long and heavy breath that she didn't realize that she was holding. Afraid that Hyunjoong would walk out from that room and saw her again, Somin packed her things hurriedly and away from the office. She didn't realize that the incident was seen by Gyuri and Yunho. In silence, her friends agreed that her tears were caused by Hyunjoong. They knew each other. They were connected. They shared the same past.

 

 

 


"I never see you this happy, Kwanghee-ah. It is like you just win a lottery or something." Siwan, Kwanghee's business partner, said after she saw Kwanghee grinned and smiled more than usual the last two days.

 

Kwanghee laughed. "Oh believe me. I just won more than a lottery. It was a jackpot. A huge one!" I took Yujin's ity. She gave it to me willingly. He sighed then smiled, remembering what they did in the past two days. I loved her. Even though I betrayed my best friend. But- My happiness overpowered my guilt.

 

Yujin was still a God-damned ! They were already married for three years and she was still untouched. What kind of marriage life that they had? Kwanghee knew that Hyunjoong was head over heels for Somin. And in sudden, Hyunjoong married Yujin, then Somin disappeared- we needed no genius to guess that it was a forced marriage. To Kwanghee's luck, after three years, Hyunjoong still rooted at Somin and ignored Yujin.

 

This was his chance! Kwanghee would take Yujin from Hyunjoong. He deserved Yujin more than Hyunjoong. I love her! He shouted internally over and over again.

 

"Care to share?"

 

Kwanghee laughed. "Nope. Not now." He wouldn't tell. Yujin wanted this to be their secret. And, as long as he had the chance to win for Yujin's heart, he would fulfill her wish. Be patient! He knew that she wasn't his by heart for now.

 

"However, I have a theory."

 

"Hm?"

 

"Knowing you, this is woman related." Siwan grinned. "You were never this alive when it was related to business. Not even when we won our biggest project." He rubbed his chin.

 

"Ah, then you got it right." Kwanghee responded.

 

Siwan gasped. "So, it's true?" He never thought his silly conclusion was right after all.

 

Kwanghee flicked his tongue. "You'll know when the time comes, Siwan-ah. For now, let's just say that now I already have the chance to be with the woman I desire. After all this time.. Finally.. I am sure I'll get her shortly."

 

Siwan looked at Kwanghee and turned silent. The woman he desired? Wait- If he wasn't mistaken, he only desired one woman. He kept on unconsciously calling her name and ranted his heart out when he was drunk. Of course as good friend, Siwan had never confronted him. Besides, Siwan knew clearly who she was. It was Yujin, Kwanghee best friend's wife. Someone else's wife!

 

He had the chance to be with her? He would get shortly? What was that mean?

 

 

 

 

 

Somin moved her body with obvious uneasiness. By looking at her wristwatch, she noticed that it was already passed her working hours and she was still with Eunjung.

 
After spending time at the Cafe, Eunjung managed to bring her home. She wanted to cook for Somin, showing off her recent habits. And because she was forever in debt with Eunjung, she had no other choices but to fulfill the request.
 
"Changmin loves Italian foods. I always wonder his true nationality because of it." Eunjung said while she stirred the sauce. She was planning to make fettuccine with her special sauce.
 
Somin smiled. She also noticed Changmin preference in foods. And yes, he loves Italian foods. A lot.
 
"However," Eunjung grinned. "I am glad that it is Italian food. Those foods are easier to make than Asian foods."
 
Somin nodded and smiled again. She rubbed her eyes softly when she felt discomfort at her swollen eyes. Even though, Eunjung showed a sympathetic gesture when she saw Somin's appearance but she never asked why. Somin felt thankful for it.
 
"No. You'll stay and taste this pasta!" Eunjung stated when Somin almost opened to tell her that she wanted to go home.
 
Somin closed and giggled slightly.
 
Eunjung looked at her phone and smiled widely. Somin knew that she was texting her husband. "My Changmin will be here in no time." She put down her phone. "Tell me, has he been good with you, Somin-ah?" She cared for Somin. Her heart hurts remembering the past when Somin was still at her lowest point.
 
Somin nodded. "He is the greatest boss I ever have. So understanding. Just like you."
 
Eunjung smiled. "I am glad to hear it. You know that you are very dear to me. Just like my own sister."
 
Somin nodded. "I know. Thank you."
 
The sound of the opened door was heard. "Honey, I am home."
 
"At the kitchen." Eunjung shouted.
 
"Ah, there you are." Changmin patted Somin's head once before he walked to Eunjung and hugged her from behind. "What are you making?" He kissed her right cheek.
 
"Lasagna."
 
"My favorite!" He exclaimed happily.
 
Eunjung and Somin laughed.
 
"Eh, I brought a friend for dinner."
 
"Who? Somin?" Eunjung asked playfully.
 
"No."
 
Out of nowhere, Somin felt goosebumps and her body shivered slightly. No- Please don't.
 
But, due to her bad luck-
 
"My new business partner. Kim Hyunjoong."
 
Somin didn't want to turn her body and saw him. But she noticed that Hyunjoong stood behind her by seeing Eunjung's reaction, smiling and bowing a little to her behind.
 
Please God- Had mercy!