(1) The past

The Affair

 

 

"Somin-ah, stop running!"

 

"Come on! Or, we'll be late!"

 

"Gezz! We still have time."

 

“No. We are not! We aim for those front seats, remember? We have to hurry!” Somin sprinted with all she had toward their school’s football field. Today was the day she had been waiting for; Final game for this year championship. It wasn’t she felt delighted to see handsome players or else- The reason was simple and silly: She put bet over her school team; A quite big sum of money – her monthly money. She had been watching them playing and practicing and she was totally sure that they would win the game.

 

“Somin!” Yujin was left behind, far behind.

 

“100.000 won- Come to mommy!” She muttered happily as her eyes were set to the entrance.

 

“WATCH OUT!”

 

Eh? Somin stopped her running and turned around just to accept a ball directed straight to her head, hard. BUMP! She stunned for a complete second before darkness consumed her.

 

“OH MY GOD! SOMIN!!!” Yujin roared and rushed herself.

 

“Oh ! ! !”

 

Three young men with football uniform approached fainted Somin in snap. One of them who kicked the ball got paralyzed while the others examined the girl.

 

“Is she dead?”

 

“DON’T SAY THAT!”

 

“Look at her!”

 

“She is just unconscious. Take her to the hospital. I hope she doesn’t get brain damage. That ball-“

 

“Shut the off. Damn it!”

 

“Hyunjoong! Stop cursing! Take her!”

 

Carefully and hesitantly, Hyunjoong moved closer and put Somin over his hands. He studied the girl as his heart moved crazily inside. If she- If she was dead- So did his future. Damn it!

 

 

 

 

 

It took Somin a perfect two hours before finally she opened up her eyes.

 

“Somin-ah,” Yujin watched her best friend blinking her eyes few times. “How do you feel?” She asked worriedly.
 

Somin groaned in pain when she felt stinging pain all over her head, mostly her forehead. “God!” She wanted to rub it but she knew things were going to be worsening that way. “Whoever the person is- so dead! I will murder- Ouch!“

 

“Mianhae-“

 

Somin automatically turned her face and saw a stranger inside the room approaching her. Her eyes squinted. He looked familiar. He was- "You- YAHHH!!”

 

That man surprised and stopped his walk.

 

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?”

 

“Burago?” He was confused alright. Totally.

 

“YOU ARE THE CAPTAIN OF OUR FOOTBALL TEAM! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE? YOU SHOULD-“

 

“Somin-ah.. Calm down.” Yujin tried to ease her best friend, grabbing her arm.

 

Hyunjoong narrowed his eyes. This woman was weird. The way she shouted- She was upset to see him here? But- He was the one who kicked the ball toward her, the one who made her unconscious. He should be here. Where else?

 

“AISH!!” Somin hissed in annoyance and glimpsed to her wrist watch. The game was over. That was for sure. “How about the game?” She muttered defeated.

 

And to her nightmare, “We lost it.” Hyunjoong answered immediately.

 

Somin snorted. “Because you are here.” She looked up and stared directly to his eyes. “You are the key. You. I noticed it from the games I saw and whenever I watched you practice. You shouldn’t abandon your team.”

 

Huh? Hyunjoong stunned for a full second before sighed heavily. “Look. I was the one who kicked the ball. Me being here because of my responsibility over you. How could I-“

 

“Well, I am fine.”

 

“You were not hours ago. You fainted.”

 

“There- there- Somin-ah, don’t be like that.” Yujin looked at confused Hyunjoong. “He took the blame. He admitted that he did wrong. Don’t scold him anymore.”

 

“But-“ Somin felt like crying. “I lost it.”

 

“You lost what?”

 

“My money.”

 

“Mwo?”

 

 

 

 

Hyunjoong watched her from a far. He couldn’t be wrong. It was her, the woman who fainted because of his ball. She was serving drinks to the table not far from his. But- This was his favorite café and he swore he never saw her here before. Hm- Was she working to get the money that she lost days ago? Hyunjoong shook his head. He never thought that the petite lady loved to gamble.

 

“What are you looking at?” Jaejoong who sat in front of him threw his sight to the direction Hyunjoong looking.

 

“She is the one.”

 

“Hm?”

 

“She is the reason I skipped my final match days ago.”

 

Jaejoong grinned. “The one who greeted your ball intimately?”

 

Hyunjoong chuckled.

 

“She is working here? I don’t remember that I see her before.”

 

Hyunjoong nodded once. “She is new, I think.”

 

“Oh really?” Jaejoong raised his hand.

 

“Hyung, what are you doing?”

 

Somin saw it and approached Hyunjoong and Jaejoong in fast manner. “Yes, Sir? Anything I can help?”

 

“I want another of this please.” Jaejoong appointed to his empty cup.

 

Somin took the cup and sniffed it. “Hot Americano?”

 

Jaejoong smiled. “Just by smelling?”

 

Somin shrugged her shoulders. “Just my lucky guess.” She turned to Hyunjoong. “And-“ Her eyes widened as she recognized Hyunjoong. Automatically she pouted but when she realized that she was facing the customer, she smiled politely. “Anything for you?’

 

“I never saw you-“

 

“Today is my first day of working.” She snapped.

 

“Why?”

 

Somin rolled her eyes. “You made me broke, thank you very much. Anything I can get? If not, I will be going.”

 

“Oh- No. I am fine.”

 

Somin nodded and walked away.

 

“She is funny.” Jaejoong laughed then focused himself toward his mobile phone.

 

Hyunjoong said nothing but his eyes were practically locked over Somin.

 

 

 

 

 

Somin was reading her school book when Hyunjoong approached her and tapped her shoulder one time.

 

“Hi!” Somin greeted him.

 

“Busy?”

 

“Catching up what was left.” She closed her book. “How is practice?” She knew that he just finished his regular practice.

 

“Ok. As usual. We are picking the new captain.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Jongkook got the title.”

 

“Oh yes, he is good.”

 

“I am his trainer.”

 

Somin raised one of her brows. “Yeah?”

 

“Yeah.” He grinned in response.

 

She giggled. “Of course. Eh, about the final exam-“

 

They couldn’t tell since when but after spotted Somin working at the Café, Hyunjoong always found reason to come back each and every day just to see her or greet her or do some silly chit chat with her. She got his attention and increased his interest. Even though she ignored him at the beginning, he was far from giving up. However, his persistent attitude brought him the expected reward- After a week trying to win her attention; Somin finally gave her beautiful smile. Her smile broke the ice. They became closer than before.

 

“I am thinking of moving to Busan.”

 

“What?” Hyunjoong snapped in shock.

 

Somin smiled. “My Aunty requested me to stay with her- As you know, last week, she just lost her husband. And, the fact that she has no child-“

 

“Somin-“

 

“We are graduating soon. Nothing holds me still anyway.”

 

Hyunjoong let darkness eating him up slowly. She was considering of moving? But- She couldn’t. She can’t. He just enrolled to Seoul University and he wanted her to go with him. So, they will be able to spend time like this in the future.

 

“I told Yujin before. She cried you know?” Somin laughed sadly. “But then, I said that she had you and Kwanghee. She will be ok. Take care of her, ok?”

 

“But- I don’t want you to go.” He whispered.

 

“Hm?” She was hardly hearing his words.

 

“I need you here.”

 

“Hyunjoong-“

 

Hyunjoong grabbed her hand and squeezed it tightly. “Stay.”

 

“But-“

 

“Stay.”

 

 

 

 

“Really? Really? You are not telling lies, right? You are staying here, right? You are entering Seoul University with us, right?” Yujin bombarded Somin with nonstop questions as she shook Somin’s body in disbelief.

 

Somin laughed and nodded. “Yes, Yujin-ah.. Stop shaking my body. Ah, I am starting to feel dizzy.”

 

Yujin also laughed.

 

“I don’t get it.” Kwanghee said. “You planned to move to Busan and in sudden you took it back? I meant- I heard nothing about you moving to Busan. And now, out of nowhere, you already changed your mind?”

 

“That’s unnecessary confusion! Don’t mind him.”

 

“It is all because of me.” Hyunjoong let out his famous cocky grin.

 

“You?” Kwanghee mocked him.

 

Hyunjoong winked his right eye to Somin who replied him with playful smack. Seeing the happy gestures from two, Yujin started to feel tense. Something was wrong- And, she believed she wouldn’t like the following news.

 

Hyunjoong threw his hand over Somin’s shoulder and pulled her closer. “We are together now. And, she cannot just leave me here, right sweetheart?”

 

“Yaaahhh!!” Somin pushed Hyunjoong’s body hard until they were separated. “Don’t talk nonsense.”

 

“Mwo?” Hyunjoong eyes widened. “But you said-“

 

“I told you to keep it as secret. Geezz! Those fans of yours won’t let me live in peace. Huff!” She pouted.

 

“Oh.” Hyunjoong laughed and grabbed her both shoulders. “Don’t worry; they won’t dare to lay a finger on you.”

 

Somin rolled her eyes.

 

“Especially not when they know that you are my girl.” He leaned in and pressed his lips firmly over hers.

 

 

(