Work Of Art (After Story)

Dream dates with SEVENTEEN?!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

But it never came..

He isn’t back…

He hasn’t been back yet..

 

 

It’s been about 3 years since that night. I started college, majoring in arts business while helping out with my parent’s gallery. It’s been a hectic few months, with showcases coming and going. I was in charge of making sure that things are in order and running smoothly while my parents focus on socialising and making sure the client or clients are satisfied.

It was the night before the last showcase for that month. I was making sure that all the artworks were at its place and has its own name plate with a small description by its side. After checking all of it, I stood in front of this art piece with a deep red velvet cloth covering it. Apparently it was one of the request from the client. It said that it was to be revealed at the opening event itself. I was stated on her clipboard that this was to be the main piece for the day and it was not for sale, just for showcase. I scanned through the list to look for the name of the artist or the art title.

No artist name.. Just a title.. ‘Work of Art’... That’s interesting in a way.. I didn’t know what was intriguing to me, but it was drawing me in and catching my immediate attention. I blinked out of the trance and took a glance at my watch. It was almost 12 midnight.

Well, I guess I better head home now..

 

I stayed up late last night trying to complete my assignments and had to get up early the next day, giving me only 2 hours of quality sleep. So obviously, I would be on the edge and cranky and be downing caffeine like crazy. I grabbed my bag and my laptop and hurried out the house to the gallery for the final touch ups before the actual opening of the new showcase. I stopped by a cafe for my much needed caffeine fix to survive the day.

After the final checks and the walkthrough with my parents and the client’s secretary, we went off for a business lunch.

“Great job on lining and setting up the gallery to our liking! It’s really an honour to have the famous Kims’ to direct our showcase.” The client’s secretary shook the hands of my parents and mine.

“Nono, we aren’t that famous. Of course! It was such a pleasure working with you and the client. Being able to see such wonderful art pieces, we’re blown away.” My father smiled and replied.

“Thank you so much for choosing our small gallery!” My mother added on.

“You must be proud of your daughter for being such a wonderful coordinator for this showcase. It must have been tough juggling your studies and coordinating this. Thank you so much for making things possible. I think you’ll be in for a treat later in the evening.” The secretary smiled and gave me a small wink.

“It was a pleasure coordinating this. What do you me--” Before I could finish my question, the secretary’s car pulled up into the driveway of the restaurant, signally her time to leave.

“Ah, I’m sorry. I have to get back to the apartment to report to my boss and to tell him not to worry about a thing. It’s not like he was that worried to begin with.” She chuckled and waved goodbye. “Wear something nice alright?” She whispered into my ear before getting into the car. I stood rooted to the ground, trying to process the information in my lack of sleep mind.

 

I didn’t have time to change or prepare much as I was rushing my assignments in the empty gallery. With the arrival of guests slowly approaching, I tucked everything away and tied my wavy hair into a high ponytail and smacked my face a few times to wake me up. I was dressed in a striped, turtleneck pullover, jeans and sneakers. I’m sure to look out of place as everyone will be arriving in luxurious party gowns and suit, but the tired me didn’t care one bit. If anything, I love what I’m wearing. Besides, I’m not an attendee, I’ll still be working and be walking around ensuring things are going smoothly. The last thing I needed would be a dress and heels to slow me down.

It was about 6 or 7pm, the gallery started to welcome guests and soon the place was filled with soft classical music, waiters with trays of champagne and light snacks weaving through the filled gallery.

Why does tonight, reminds me so much of that night when we first met?

I was still going around the place until everyone gathered at the concealed piece that I stood before just last night. I stood at the very back as I was there as a staff for the day.

“I’m sure that everyone is excited to see the main piece of the showcase. May we invite the artist himself to unveil the masterpiece that he has cherished this piece of art for a long time!” My parents welcome the artist to come up front to reveal the secret art piece

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter