Hurtful Goodbye

Change Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It wasn't until two days later that I saw him again.

Humans are simple creatures. Even after experiencing excruciating pain, they move on. They continue to eat, continue to sleep, continue to laugh, and continue to function. We forget about the past and look forward to the future because our main instinct is to survive.

My main instinct is to serve and my life is at the disposal of the North. So in a way, I guess I'm not human, especially in the mind.

That's my excuse for the clenching pain that had been radiating inside my chest for the past week. I'm good at hiding, though, so I prided myself in pretending like nothing was wrong. Just like it should be.

I really really did thank my knack for hiding when he came back because I was afraid that with one look at his face, the foundation that I had built with so much effort would come toppling down.

He came back during the first class that we had, which was physics. I still remembered tutoring him over the simple concepts, chuckling whenever he would bury his head into his hands, whining about how hard it was.

Those were the simpler times.

The Taehyung that came to class wasn't the Taehyung who used to intertwine his feet with mine under the desk despite my harsh kicks. This wasn't the Taehyung that would ask me for a pencil only to return it with the eraser chewed off.

The air seemed to turn cold at his entrance, and the usually groggy yet talkative morning class hushed up in an instant, even if the teacher wasn't in yet. Gasping when I saw him enter, I rapidly averted my eyes to the hem of my skirt, hoping that I wasn't visible.

He leaned against the white-board, watching the class with raised eyebrows. The class awkwardly sat by, waiting for the usual bubbly Taehyung to crack a joke.

But he remained silent.

"Hey class." 

I winced when he talked. His voice was lower, almost monotonous as if he was bored. After a moment of silence, the class half-heartedly mumbled a hello in response.

"I hope you didn't miss me too much while I was gone." He chuckled, but there was absolutely no warmth to the sound. "The reason for my absence is my own business, for those who are curious. I was planning on just never coming back, but I thought it would have been rude of me to leave without an explanation."

Leave? My lips pursed at his words. There's no way he would leave because of me...is there?

"I'm transferring out to Joongdong High School."

The class erupted out into hushed whispers. Joongdong High School? Isn't that the most prestigious high school in korea? Why is he going there all of a sudden? Is Kim Taehyung that rich?

"The reason I'm transferring there is because that's where I belonged in the first place." He paused, pushing his hair back. He looked almost arrogant for a second, and it made my jaw tighten.

"I attended Seoul High School because my father wanted me to experience the middle-class while getting to know the citizens of Korea. I apologize if any of you feel like you were lied to, but it was for the greater good."

For the greater good. It's almost funny how much were alike yet so different.

"I won't be returning. Thank you for accepting me as Kim Taehyung, but I have to leave you guys as someone else."

In a way, I didn't want him to reveal who he was. No matter what he said, I knew that the Kim Taehyung he showed everyone at Seoul High S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter