Betrayal

Change Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Name?"

A thin layer of snow littered the pavement, so I shoved my hands deeper into the cheap woolen jacket that hardly shielded the frosty air. A haughty miserable looking woman, a secretary of some sort, stood impatiently in front of the door with a clipboard in her hands.

"Miss, your name?" The secretary snapped.

"Jung Soomi."

"And you?" She jerked her head at Yoongi while checking off my fake name.

"Park Yunho."

The woman's heels were so pointy, I wondered where her toes went. Maybe that's why she looked so pissy - all her toes were in a pinch.

"You two are good to go. Let them in."

I heaved a sigh of relief when I felt the blast of heated air hit me. I felt Yoongi relax next to me; he had been tense the whole wait. The hotel lobby was bustling with other homeless kids, all finding their way to the banquet hall.

"How did you even get us in to this event?" I mumbled to Yoongi. "We're not exactly homeless."

Yoongi chuckled. "Nothing a little hacking can't do."

I felt my heartrate increase as we approached the hall. It was decorated to the nines: exquisite crystal chandeliers loomed from the ceilings, white satin ribbons hung along the cushioned chairs, and white roses donned the circular dining tables. The gaudy decorations were ironic in that the guests were all homeless children, but of course, since the President would be attending, he must look good for the press.

I'm nervous. I've never been this anxious over a mission, and I was scared that someone could hear my heart beating outside my chest. The gun holstered to my upper thigh felt cold and heavy against my bare skin. I was tempted to rip it off.

"That's our exit," Yoongi explained quietly, eyeing a door guarded by two suited men on the left side of the hall.

"And our seats?"

"Right here," he said, pulling out one of the cushioned chairs for me. We had a clear view of the stage, making it easy to identify our target.

The room began to fill up, and a few other kids joined our table. I kept my eyes casted on the table, avoiding the stares of the other kids. They were excitedly buzzing within eachother, eager to see the president and be treated to gifts and a nice meal.

These innocent children would witness a death today. A death that I would cause. I tried emptying the guilt that was welling within me. Yoongi must've felt the same way, because his hand squeezed mine tightly in comfort.

I looked around and almost smiled at how well we blended in with the other children. A flicker of pain ran through me when I realized that Yoongi and I...we were still young. Yet we were robbed of a childhood, and consequently robbed of happiness.

We were only 18, but we grew up too fast.

"Why are you looking at me like a creep?"

I looked away quickly, rolling my eyes. "You just look extra ugly today, that's why."

He grinned, showing his gums. "You at lying Yuri."

"No Yunho," I reminded him. "Soomi is an excellent liar."

Someone cleared their throat at the podium onstage, lightly tapping the microphone. It was a bald man, slightly overweight wearing a Prada suit. "Children, please settle down." He nervously mopped his sweaty forehead with a handkerchief. "Welcome to the Fundraiser for Homeless Youth in Korea. We are honored to host you tonight. We will be giving you advice on how to succeed in the future and introduce you all to opportunities of work and education."

The room all cheered while I felt a surge of alienation. I didn't belong here.

"Quiet down please!" His handkerchief was drenched with sweat at this point. "I...I am honored to welcome to this event a man respected by this whole country."

My breath hitched in my throat as I heard the children around me start clapping. The clapping escalated as President Kim stepped out from the side of the stage and strode to the front. He was dressed in a suit with the presidential badge embezzled onto a la

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter