Hard to Breathe

Change Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Achooo!" I ducked my head into my sleeve, quickly blocking my sneeze.

I sniffled and trudged along the road lined with gray slush. I hated winter; especially the snow.

"Are you sick?' Yoongi walked alongside me, our steps in complete unison.

"No." I refused to admit that I had a cold but another sneeze ruined my tough persona.

Yoongi rolled his eyes. "Sure you aren't sick?"

I lightly slapped his arm. "Shut up."

He slipped off his school jacket and placed it on my shoulders. Immediately, Yoongi's warmth enveloped me.

I frowned and tried to take it off, but he pushed it back onto my shoulders, forcing my arms through the arm holes.

"Hey! I'm not even cold! Take it back."

"If you don't wear it, I'm going to throw it away in that trash can." He nudged his head towards a dumpster we were walking past.

"Stupid. You can't throw away your school uniform like that."

Yoongi jabbed my ribs causing a burst of laughter to escape my lips. "Wanna bet?"

I gave in to his pressure and kept the jacket on. He walked alongside me, his hands stuffed into his khakis. He only had a white button down on, but he looked perfectly calm without being affected by the cold. He looked like Jack Frost.

Slowly, Seoul High School loomed in front of us. I debated whether or not I should go to school or not. I would transfer, but then I would have to the officials and they would want a reason for why I wanted to transfer. I couldn't dare tell them about Taehyung, and they would see through any other lie. Yet, I couldn't even drop out because the school department would be suspisious of my absenses and try to get nosy with my life.

"Don't worry. Things will just be a bit awkward...but you'll survive." Yoongi gave me a pat on the back.

I snorted. "Wow, thanks for the awesome pep talk."

He flashed me a wink that had me rolling my eyes.

I walked into the school and quickly shrugged off Yoongi's jacket. "Here, put it on. You'll get in trouble if you aren't wearing your uniform."

"Thanks." I helped him put it on while straightening out some wrinkled areas.

"Look what we have here." Sunny flounced up next to us, her possy right on her tail. "Do you really have no shame? You're openly flirting with a different guy other than Taehyung you ."

She spat the words at me with venom, but I kept my stance. Her attitude was as sharp as her winged eyeliner, but I was even sharper. "We broke up."

You should've seen the way her face lit up. Her whole possy started jumping up and down in delight while Sunny gawked at me in shock. "What? Why? Does that mean Taehyung is single?"

Yoongi stepped in front of me, causing a few girls in Sunny's possy to swoon. Afterall, he was the Ice Prince. "This is none of your business. You can go celebrate somewhere else."

With that, he led me away from Sunny, avoiding from her celebratory shrieks. I glanced ahead and saw Taehyung leaning against a locker, his shirt untucked and his hair messy. Did he not get enough sleep? He looked pale, almost sick.

Careful to avoid any eye contact, I graced past him, hiding my body behind Yoongi's. I kept walking, refusing to look back no matter how much my heart yearned to. Before turning the corner, I cheated and stole one last glance. He remained in the same spot, his eyes closed, hands in his pockets. He was in pain and it killed me that I could only stand back and watch.

--

Sunny seemed to have spread our breakup like wildfire. By fourth period, everyone knew. My old life returned: walking around with my hair covering my face while people threw disgusted glances at me while o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter