Chapter 6

Gayageum and Guitar

Lee Gyu Won decided that, as a part of a band, she needed to change her image at school. She grabbed clothes that were similar to the ones she wore yesterday, simple but fashionable. As she walked on campus, she saw all eyes on her. People were nudging each other, pointing and whispering, "Isn't that the girl from last night?" She ignored them, and walked over to Bo Eun who was sitting on a bench near the building where they had class together.

"Yah, Bo Eun-a. Where are the others?" Gyu Won asked, looking around. Bo Eun sniffled and looked down at the ground. "They said they can't be friends with you anymore. And that they want to kick you out of Windflower..."

"What? Why?!" Gyu Won exclaimed, angry. 

"They said that your new job at The Stupid would take away from your ability to be in Windflower. But I think they're just jealous that you get to be in the band. They already found a replacement for you. I'm sorry Gyu Won-a, I tried to talk them out of it, but..." Bo Eun looked down at the ground, tears b in her eyes.

"It's alright." Gyu Won said as she hugged her friend. "I'll be alright I can still participate in traditional music competitions. You can go ahead and hang out with the Windflower girls, I just need to sit and think for a while." Bo Eun looked at her doubtfully, but nodded and walked away slowly.

Gyu Won groaned and dropped her head into her hands. How could she get kicked out of the Windflower? She had thought that those girls were her friends, who knew that they would betray her over something like jealousy? But, Gyu Won couldn't be sad. She still had The Stupid, PERFECT, traditional music competitions, there really wasn't anything to be sad about. She pushed up from the bench and walked to class.

 

+~~~+

 

Nothing else significant happened that day. If having that babo Lee Shin steal Gyu Won's phone and put all of the band members' numbers in there during a break in classes was insignificant. Just seconds afterwards Gyu Won was swarmed by a mob of rabid fangirls. Junha and Joon Hee had to fish her out of the sea of jealous girls. 

It was now lunch. Junha and Joon Hee grabbed her by both arms and steered her to their table where Shin sat, eating slowly without paying attention to anyone. Gyu Won sat down, noticing the angry glares coming from all the girls, and jealous glances coming from all the guys. She sighed, she supposed she would have to get used to it. They would get used to her. Eventually.

Gyu Won threw down her chopsticks and put her head down. Getting kicked out of the Windflower had put her in a bad mood, and getting stared at by every single person on campus didn't really help. Joon Hee noticed this and said, "Oh. Unni. Are you going to eat that?" He had a pathetic look on his face as he gave Gyu Won a puppy dog face. 

"I'm done with it. Go ahead and eat." Gyu Won said with a smile. 

"Yay! Saranghae unni!" Joon Hee shouted before digging in with a starved fervor. Shin glanced over. He wasn't jealous. How could he be jealous? The great Lee Shin couldn't like anyone like Lee Gyu Won. She was just too.... She was...... She was really pretty. Especially when she smiled, he realized. Maybe he did like her. A little bit. But probably not.

 

+~~~+

 

After another afternoon of dance practice (with Joon Hee tagging along to watch), practicing gayageum, cooking dinner, just like any other day, Gyu Won headed out to Catharsis. This time, she decided to only bring her electric, and just opt out of any possible acoustic songs. She was so excited. There weren't even words to describe how happy she was. It was her first official night with The Stupid as a guitarist. 

But as soon as she arrived at the bar, everything started to go wrong. Lee Shin still hadn't showed up, and they were already running late by five minutes. "Everyone's going crazy out there! We need to get on now, or else." Junha said gravely.

"But... Shin hyung still isn't here..." Joon Hee said quietly. "What are we.... Oh......:" he said, looking at Junha's grin. Both of them slowly turned and smiled creepily at Gyu Won.

"Wha.... Me???" Gyu Won asked.

"Yes, unni. We don't have any other choice." Joon Hee said happily. "But you'll be amazing." 

"But, can't anyone else sing? Please?" Gyu Won pleaded.

"Nope, you have to do it. We refuse." Junha said.

"....Fine. What do you want to play?" Gyu Won said breathing out loudly. 

"What do you kno-" 

"It doesn't matter. Just show me the songs on your iPod." Junha silently handed one over. 

"We should play Intuition and Love Girl by CN Blue." Junha said. "You know them, right?"

"Just give me a sec." Gyu Won quickly listened to both songs before handing back the iPod. "I'm gonna change a little of the guitar, so it can be done by just one person, but the drums and bass part should just be the same." She grabbed her guitar and slung it on her back. "Let's go."

She walked on stage. Without introduction she nodded to Joon Hee and Junha and they started the set.

(Links http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8gCiZUiRfQ      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFrFnQDGz2k&feature=related)

As she was singing, the entire club was captivated. They had fallen for her. Even her most ardent haters became fans, or at least begrudging admirers. This included Director Kim Suk Hyun who was invited by a friend, who owned the bar, to come see the famous Stupid and their new guitarist. "Wow, she's a good guitarist. Not to mention a good singer, and she has good looks. She seems like the whole package." Director Kim said downing a drink.

"Ahhhh. Seems like the famous Broadway director has chosen a little protegee." His friend said. Suk Hyun nodded.

"Now if she could dance, then that would be perfect..." He muttered.

"Oh, but she can. Her dance crew, PERFECT is having a performance in two weeks at the school to prepare for a competition." 

"HER dance crew?" Suk Hyun questioned.

"Well, it isn't run by her technically. But she is arguably the best dancer. But she stays on the downlow to keep from being noticed." His friend stated.

"I just might go see them..." Suk Hyun said grabbing a new drink.

Meanwhile, the crowd started chanting. "ENCORE! ENCORE! ENCORE!" The band glanced among themselves. Gyu Won shrugged. 

"How about.... Chance Encounter?" she asked. "It's not that long." Joon Hee and Junha nodded and they resumed positions onstage. The audience exploded in slightly drunken cheering. 

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3xoCnXoxg)

Unknown to anyone, Lee Shin had returned. He hadn't really meant to abandon the band, but he had had to take care of his little sister at home for a while. He came as soon as he could. Even though he didn't want to admit it, he was impressed by Gyu Won. What can't this girl do? he thought to himself. He couldn't help it, but he was falling in love.