Chapter 12

Gayageum and Guitar

 

That next day at lunch, Lee Shin and Lee Gyu Won just ignored each other. They were too focused on the song they were going to play the next day to even notice each other. Ah well. It’s not like they were going to fraternize with the enemy anyway.

 

Suddenly, the silence was broken by loud chanting from the front of the lunchroom. “Lee Gyu Won! Lee Gyu Won! Victory! Victory!” It was a huge mob of students, led by Sarang-unni and her friends. Lee Gyu Won’s brand new fan club.

 

Gyu Won chuckled under her breath, “I thought those girls hated me…” Junha shrugged.

 

“You never know with them. But it looks like your fan base is even larger than Shin’s. With support like this, you’ll probably win.” Shin looked unaffected by this information. He stood to throw away the remains of his lunch.

 

“It doesn’t matter to me. I’ll beat you anyway,” he smirked before beginning to turn away. He was stopped when Gyu Won stood to meet him. She looked him in the eye for a second before scoffing.

 

“If you’re that arrogant, then I know I’m going to win. It’ll just be too easy. Now,” she said, brushing off her shoulders. “I am going to greet my adoring fans. Ciao.”

 

Lee Shin shook his head. She was more carelessly confident then he was. He was sure of it. Surely he wasn’t that bad, right? He voiced this, “I’m not that bad, am I?”

 

Junha gave him a look. “You’re much much much worse, Shin.” He half-turned, and nodded towards the front. “But you know, with that kind of adoring crowd, her confidence is justified. I mean, she’s stolen almost all of your fans… That is so not fair. How does a girl win over all the girls?”

 

Joon Hee leaned in and grinned. “That’s because Gyu Won-unni just has that kind of charm. She’s irresistible.” Shin agreed. She was irresistible.

 

 

 

+~~~+

 

 

 

Gyu Won was drowning in a sea of adoration. She was surrounded everywhere by reaching hands, shouts of undying love (from guys … and… girls?), and requests for autographs and photos. She smiled, laughed, and complied with every giggled request and awkward chuckle from the guys.

 

Of course, a lot of guys did flirt with her, but she just brushed them off. She didn’t really like the fanboy type. And the fangirls just weirded her out.  Finally, when she felt that she could take it no longer, she shook her head and pushed away a few hands, saying “I’ve really got to go now. Maybe another time.” After much disappointed sighing, the girls got out of the way, and Gyu Won walked away while waving behind her. Even if that was pretty intense, she could get used to this. 

 

But there was no time for this, she had to head to the band room and practice while Shin was still eating. She quickly slung her guitar on and began to strum, without the amp so as not to be heard. She had to win.

 

 

 

+~~~+

 

 

That next day, after classes were over an impromptu stage was set up in front of one of the school buildings. A crowd of students were sitting on the steps, waving posters and chanting loudly. Gyu Won’s fan club had grown even more in a day, and now outnumbered Shin’s almost 2:1.

 

Director Kim’s friend who ran Catharsis had taken over as MC for the competition, supplying free snacks for everyone in the audience. It wasn’t much of a big deal, considering they were all regulars of his bar anyways.

 

Dramatically, Gyu Won and Shin approached from opposite ends of the courtyard, guitars strapped to their backs. The MC pulled out a mic and began to speak. “And now is the beginning of the famous guitar battle of The Stupid!” Everyone roared their approval and he had to raise his hand for silence. “I will now toss a coin to see who will go first. Shin! Call it in midair!”

 

As the MC flicked the 100 won coin into the air, Shin stared up and called “Heads,” just as it was beginning to fall. The coin was deftly caught, and proclaimed “Heads!” the MC shouted. Shin’s fans screamed and clapped their hands frantically.

 

Gyu Won stuck her hand out. “Good luck,” she said as Shin grasped her hand. “You’re going to need it,” she murmured as she walked off to the side to observe. Shin scoffed and shook his head, striding onto the stage and beginning to play.

 

 

 

 

He sang and rapped beautifully, all the while strumming his guitar and smiling charismatically at the crowd. Everyone clapped, except for Gyu Won’s fan club who impressively managed to boo at him for the entire time he was playing. Imagine the lung capacity those fan girls build up from cheering and running crazily after the objects of their obsession.

 

Shin bowed and exited the stage, and Gyu Won walked calmly on before beginning to play.

 

 

 

 

Screams erupted in the crowd as people recognized the popular American song. Not to mention that Gyu Won turned out to be very good at English. She played perfectly, note for note, and her interpretation of the rap was spot on. Suddenly, as she began to play the last chorus, her string snapped.

 

She froze, and her hand hovered over the area before her arm dropped to the side. She looked down in shock before looking up at the crowd. Most of their jaws had dropped. What was going to happen now?

 

And then Sarang-unni suddenly stood up and shouted, “Just keep singing, Gyu Won-a! It’ll be fine, since we’ll still vote for you!” So Gyu Won kept singing, completely ignoring her at-the-moment useless guitar hanging on her side.

 

After all was said and done, the spectators all gathered around a large noticeboard, placing colored stickers voting for the person they wanted to win the battle. From the looks of it, Sarang and her cronies had managed to bully/convince/persuade some of Shin’s most devout fans, and Gyu Won got almost all of the votes. Shin got around twelve, while Gyu Won got more than 60.

 

Looking at the board after the voting was over, Junha burst out laughing. “Oh my god. She broke her string, and she still beat you with 5x as many votes. Ha…. That is soooo hilarious. Hahahahah.” Shin gave him a hard look, but Junha kept laughing. Gyu Won sighed.

 

“Well, this all was unexpected. But, I did win. So, you are my slave for the next month.”

 

Shin groaned and leaned his head back. Well, things could be worse. At least she was attractive.

 

 

 

+~~~+

 

 

 

 

T^T

Soooo sorry for not updating sooner, but midterms are a monster, and I haven’t had any time.

At least I made this one a little longer.

 

Well, thank you to all of my readers!

Happy new year, and merry Christmas!

 

Although it is late….

 

To those of you still in school, like me…. Good luck with testing, if you have it.

 

Just a personal observation:

Before, I thought situations like Coffee Prince and You’re Beautiful were kind of impossible.

I mean, the whole mistaking a girl for a guy thing.

Apparently not.

You see, I cut my hair really short for New Year’s. You know, new year new look kind of thing.

And at least 5 girls have hit on me, thinking I’m a guy.

And like 10 ahjummas gone all like “awww he’s such a cute boy, almost like a girl.”

Me: K Really?

And I’m not even flat-chested or anything!

 

Ah well, maybe one day I can run away and join a boy band.

 

For now….

 

 

ANNYONG!!!!!!!!

 

See you when testing is over!