Chapter 11

Gayageum and Guitar

 

After another successful gig at Catharsis, Lee Shin headed straight back home. He quietly and thoughtfully swerved through traffic on his bike and stopped at a jewelry store. This was where he had bought a necklace once, for a teacher he had a crush on. But she had shot him down immediately. And now Shin was over it. Besides, he had other things to think about.

 

As he walked in the door, he waved a brief hello to his mom before going straight to bed. He lay there for a while, staring at the ceiling and thinking. Grabbing a pillow and hugging it to his chest, he sighed exasperatedly. Why couldn’t he get Lee Gyu Won out of his head?

 

Well, he had to admit, she was good-looking. She had an adorable face, but could also be very beautiful when she laughed and smiled. She was a good guitarist, maybe even as good as him. But, most of all, she was nice, sweet, friendly, but also had a lot of spunk and stood up for herself and those she considered her friends. And Shin couldn’t ever forget about her.

 

He thought about her all the time, wondering how she was and what she was doing. He was happy when she was happy, he realized. And he had felt so good when she had rejected Joon Hee. Why? If anything, he should have hated her for making one of his friends feel that bad. Unless…

 

No!

 

No it couldn’t be!

 

Lee Shin put the pillow over his face and yelled while kicking his feet on the bed.

 

No! He couldn’t be! The great Lee Shin couldn’t be in love!

 

 

 

 

+~~~+

 

 

 

Lee Gyu Won trudged home and walked in the front door, closing the gate gently behind. Her grandfather was still in the hospital, but he was thinking about moving in with one of Gyu Won’s more removed relatives. A first cousin once removed or something else of the sort. Then, Lee Gyu Won could live independently on her own.

 

The house felt slightly empty. But Gyu Won wasn’t too sad about her grandfather moving. It would give her more of an opportunity to go for music, and audition for the musical without any of her grandfather’s interference. And it was probably best for both of them to become more self-reliant.

 

Now that she thought about it, auditions were coming up. She would be auditioning as a musician for The Stupid, but also as a singer/dancer/actor on her own. So her audition with the band was really only a formality as it were, to ensure a place in the musical. If, by some strange incident, she didn’t get a part in the acting division.

 

What should she sing? She grabbed her secret iPod. The one that she had worked a part time mercilessly for. The one loaded with “garbage” music that her grandfather would never approve.

 

She stuck on her earbuds and clicked shuffle. Thinking, she really only needed to pick a song to dance. She could just ask to sing for The Stupid audition. She landed randomly on a good song. It was a good song, even if it was performed by a group, she could adjust the dance to just one person. Or just go with it.

 

Plus, she really liked this song. And this group.

 

She grinned and flopped down onto her bed. She would rock that audition, but she had to stop rehearsing. It was only two weeks away.

 

 

 

 

+~~~+

 

 

 

The next day at lunch, Shin was very polite to Gyu Won. He smiled at her, and talked to her civilly. Gyu Won was shocked. 

 

The truth of it was that Shin had finally gotten over himself and admitted that he liked, and quite possibly loved, Gyu Won. So he would do his best to be charming and improve his chances of not being hated by her. And then everything went wrong when Junha brought up an "innocent" question.

 

"Hey," he mumbled with a mouthful of food. "Who do you think is the better guitarist? Between you two?"

 

"Me. Of course." Gyu Won and Shin both said at the same time. They began to glower over the table. Shin didn't care that he liked her, no one challenged his skills at guitar! Gyu Won glared back with an icy intensity.

 

"Oh yeah?" she challenged. "You wanna make a bet?" 

 

"Of course!" Shin countered. 

 

"Fine. We perform in two days, in front of the entire school. You can sing and play guitar. We both play electric. The winner gets to treat the loser as a slave for a month." Gyu Won said.

 

"Good. As long as you don't back out when you lose!" 

 

"Why should I? It can't be that hard to beat you." Gyu Won remarked with a smirk.

 

Junha grinned.

 

"This is gonna be fun."

 

Shin agreed. I mean, what's better than to have the girl you like as a slave for a month?

 

+~~~+

 

Well. That took me a while to update.

 

I just want to say, that I passed all the tests, but then I have midterms coming up.

 

This is what I get for taking all Honors courses.

 

I just want to say Merry Christmas. And thank you to all of the fans of this story.

 

If you can guess what group the song Gyu Won is going to dance to is by, you can get uhh let's say a request in the story ^^.

 

I'll give you a hint, it's a boy group. And you can guess as many times as you want.