Chapter 9

Gayageum and Guitar

 

Lee Gyu Won silently sat at her grandfather’s bedside. She knew she couldn’t say that this was her fault, but somehow she just kept thinking it. A little evil voice chanted in her head. “It’s your fault. It’s your fault.” It was all she could do to keep from breaking down and crying. But, maybe there was a silver lining. Maybe this would finally cause her grandfather to mellow out. Maybe.

 

Gyu Won felt stinging behind her eyes and blinked rapidly. She couldn’t cry. She wouldn’t cry. She was Lee Gyu Won. She was strong. She hadn’t cried since her mother and died. And she would never show such weakness again.

 

But. Maybe it wasn’t such a bad thing to be weak sometimes. To allow others to comfort you. Gyu Won brushed aside such thoughts and looked upon her grandfather’s pale haggard face. The doctor had said he would wake up soon. In the next day or so. Suddenly, her grandfather blinked awake and struggled to sit up. “Yah! Lee Gyu Won! Where am I?”

 

“You’re in the hospital halabeoji. You had a heart attack.” Gyu Won said gently.

 

“Hmph. Fine.” Her grandfather settled down, then stared pointedly at Gyu Won. “You’re going to stop that nonsense about stopping traditional music, right?”

 

“No halabeoji.”

 

“Well, that’s… wait, what? Lee Gyu Won, do you want to give me another heart attack?” Her grandfather looked at her seriously. She frowned and looked up at him with sad eyes.

 

“I’m not saying I want to stop completely. Look, as long as you continue to let me play guitar and be in the band and do other things, then I’ll play in traditional music competitions once in a while. And you’re not allowed to force me to do anything. Also, I wanted to run this by you…” Gyu Won said slyly. “I wanted to try fusion gayageum. You know, modern songs played with traditional instruments. I want to enter a competition that allows fusion music. Okay?”

 

Her grandfather frowned, then sighed. “Fine. Do whatever you want. I guess it doesn’t matter. As long as you become famous one day. You will not disgrace my family name, so you might as well get well-known, okay?”

 

“Yes. Thank you halabeoji. I won’t let you down halabeoji.” Gyu Won smiled brightly and gave her grandfather a hug. She wouldn’t have any more problems now. She was free to perform with her dance crew, play with The Stupid, play fusion music, audition for the 100th anniversary performance. The possibilities were endless.

 

Gyu Won looked back at her grandfather as she stood out the door. “I’ll be back soon. I have to go and have lunch with some friends. Oh jeez. He’s gone back to sleep. Well, goodnight halabeoji.”

 

+~~~+

 

 

 

Gyu Won scowled. She didn’t know why she needed to be here. Yet again, she had been enjoying a perfectly enjoyable lunch with Bo Eun when she was whisked away by her band mates to spend time with them. Well, Joon Hee and Junha at least. Shin seemed not to care, but he did seem slightly happier when she was around.

 

Shin was happy. He was. Gyu Won was a good addition to the band, and a nice friend. It was obvious that Joon Hee had a thing for her, and Shin couldn’t care less. He really couldn’t.

 

“Tonight,” Gyu Won started suddenly, “Can I bring my gayageum to Catharsis? I want to try something!”

 

“What?” Junha asked leaning forward his chin on his hands. Gyu Won leaned in close to his face.

 

“That’s a surprise!” She said, grinning widely. She flounced away happily as the guys sat slightly confused.

 

 

 

+~~~+

 

 

 

That night at the club, Gyu Won came with her gayageum by her side. She was dressed as fantastically as always, and quickly set up her gayageum on stage. She went backstage, said hi to the band, and said quickly, “I’m going to go up first, okay?” before rushing back onstage.

 

She went back upstage and grinned, bowing to her fans. She started to play. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuvPjxo6bV0 (Just ignore the drum and guitar) The audience laughed and began to clap and sing to the song. Gyu Won finished, stood and smiled at her audience.

 

Joon Hee grinned at her backstage. “That was really cool, unni.” Gyu Won shrugged.

 

“It was just something I had wanted to try for a while…”

 

“You did well.” Shin said suddenly. Gyu Won stared at him before smiling tentatively.

 

“Thank you, Shin-a.” Gyu Won said happily. Suddenly, Joon Hee jumped in. k

 

“Unni. Do you want to go on a date with me?”

 

 

 

 

+~~~+

 

 

 

 

I haven’t updated in a while, cuz of school.

Homework.

Violin practice.

Tech week for my recital.

I’ve been so exhausted.

 

 

I love you guys!

 

<3