Chapter 2

Gayageum and Guitar

That next morning, Gyu Won and her traditional music friends were walking into a school building, chatting and discussing one of the girls' recent boyfriend. Gyu Won abrubtly stopped, pulling back her friends who were walking with her arm in arm. She gasped at the poster she saw hanging on the bulletin board.

A band wanted a guitarist! She was amazed, she had never come across a chance like this! Ever since she was young and first picked up a guitar she had dreamed of becoming a famous guitarist and star with her own band. But what with her gayageum practice and traditional music competitions, she never had the chance to so much as audition for a band. 

For Gyu Won, music was her life. She was a genius at all forms of music and could sing, dance, play guitar, even other instruments. However, she had no choice but to do this secretly. If she was caught by her grandfather, it would be all over. She would never get a chance at her dream.

Cha Bo Eun, one of Gyu Won's friends, spoke up, "Hey, Gyu won. Come on! We have to get to class." Bo Eun peered around Gyu Won to look at what she was staring at. She unlinked her arm from Gyu Won's and dashed up to the poster to get a better look.

"Wah! The Stupid is looking for a new guitarist! They haven't ever gotten a new member, no wonder you're so shocked. I didn't know you were a fan of theirs!" Bo Eun exclaimed.

Gyu Won shook her head. "Never mind, it was just a little interested in the band name. I've never heard of them before, could you tell me more about their music?" Gyu Won looked at her friends. "What?"

"It's just that you've never shown an interest in anything other than traditional music before..." her friends said. "But it's great that you're interested now!" They rushed over to her and hugged her slight frame. 

Gyu Won laughed as she blew her short hair out of her face. She held out her elbows, "Well, are you going to tell me about this band or what?"

Her friends giggled and hooked arms. Bo Eun started, "Well they play almost every night at Catharsis..." The friends walked to class, Gyu Won occasionally cast a glance behind her shoulder to look at the poster. She smiled inwardly. She finally had a chance to make other people happy with her music, just like her mother.

 

+~~~+

 

Lee Shin sighed as he leaned against the wall. 

"Don't worry hyung," Joon Hee said, munching on some snacks, "Someone will apply for the guitarist post."

"Yes, but before tonight?" Shin questioned. "Urgh, if we have to I guess we can cancel the Catharsis gigs until we find a guitarist." He groaned and leaned his head back, banging it into the wall repeatedly.

"Don't worry about it," Junha, the bassist, said. "It'll be fine. Let's go." Junha nodded towards Joon Hee and they began to walk away towards the band room.

"Hey guys don't mind but I'll-" Shin began.

"Stay here for a while? We know you too well Shin-a," said Junha with a smile. Shin nodded and stared towards the building. He had no idea why, but he was near the traditional music department. The poster hung bright white on the corkboard, taunting Shin with the fact that no one had taken the tearaways saying that they were interested.

Suddenly, a short girl with brown hair came out of the building holding a gayageum case. She ran over to the poster and began to tear off a number. Shin clenched his fists. He knew who this was, the ugly Lee Gyu Won. The traditional music nerd who knew nothing about music. This was a joke! Was she trying to insult the pride of The Stupid? He walked over to her and yanked the piece of paper out of her hand.

"Yah! Give that back!" she yelled, "I need that!"

"No you don't! You're a nerd, you're ugly, and you don't know a thing about guitar! If you know what's good for you don't even think about showing up to the audition." He smirked, hoping that she would run away crying.

Instead, she straightened up and smirked, brushing her hand away from her face. She moved in close to Shin's face and quietly said, "Well then, I'll take that as a challenge. If you know what's good for you, don't try to stop me." She smiled and moved away, walking briskly with the gayageum on her back.

Shin stood in shock, backing up until he ran up against the brick wall and slid down. He put his head in his hands. Lee Gyu Won was shy, everyone said so, when had she become so bold? He ran his hand through his black hair and smirked. He couldn't wait for that night, Lee Gyu Won would probably show up with her gayageum and be laughed off stage. Oh, how much he wished that would happen! But even as he thought that, Lee Shin felt a little twinge in his heart as he knew that, deep inside of him, he didn't want to hurt her.

 

+~~~+

Hey guys, first author note...

Well, I'm finally an author! I get to transfer my fantasies onto digital paper and let all of you see it!

So anyways, please comment. I would really appreciate any criticism. 

By the way, it's my dad's birthday and I'm sitting down at the computer instead of eating cake, just for you guys!

Saranghae!!!