Chapter 1

Gayageum and Guitar

Chapter 1

Lee Gyu Won loved her grandfather. Really. Even though he treated her as a slave, Gyu Won could never bring herself to disappoint him. She worked hard at the gayageum to keep Grandfather happy, she didn't complain (that much), and did her best to make her grandfather proud. 

That's why she had to keep this a secret.

Bam Bam! "Lee Gyu Won! Why aren't you practicing gayageum? You have a traditional music competition coming up soon!"

"Yes! I'll begin right away, halabeoji!" Gyu Won hurriedly packed away her beloved pink and blue guitar and stowed it under her bed. She dashed across the room and pulled out her gayageum. She hurriedly plucked at the strings before settling into her rhythmn and steadily playing the song she was going perform at the upcoming competition.

"YA! Why are you getting such simple notes wrong Lee Gyu Won! You must practice harder. Stop wasting your time! Practice more!" Gyu Won's grandfather shouted through the door.

"Nae, halabeoji." Gyu Won replied. She could hear her grandfather walking away to sleep. "Phew," she sighed in relief. She began to practice in earnest, her skilled fingers plucking over the strings creating beautiful melodies. Before she could help it, she began to play the k-pop song she had been strumming chords for earlier, quietly so that her grandfather couldn't hear.

Although at school, everyone only knew her as the traditional music nerd, Lee Gyu won had been learning guitar in secret for almost 10 years now. When she was around 10 or 11, Gyu Won had wanted to rebel against her grandfather and traditional music. Her grandfather had driven away her father when she was seven. She wanted to make her grandpa happy, but she felt constricted by the traditional music. So, with the help of her father, she began to learn the guitar. Since Gyu Won was a musical genius, it wasn't that difficult for her. She quickly picked up the chords, notes, and the knack for practicing when halabeoji was asleep.

However, no one knew about this talent, and Gyu Won couldn't wait for the day when she could reveal her talent to everyone. 

"YAH! Start practicing!"

Gyu Won jolted out of her reverie and hastily began to play.

 

+~~~+

 

"What? Hyung?" Joon Hee was in shock.

Suddenly, The Stupid's second guitarist had to back out. "I'm sorry guys, but my parents are going through a bad time, and I need to be there to support them. Especially since Minnie is in the hospital now. I need to be there to support my family, since my little sister is sick and I live so far away. I'm really sorry, but I don't think I'll be coming back either."

"Hyung..." Joon Hee was shocked. But he quickly recovered and gave the guitarist a quick hug. "Don't worry. Just take care of your family, hyung. We'll be alright." 

"Yeah," Lee Shin agreed, "Don't worry about it, go do what you need to do. We'll survive."

"Thanks for being so understanding bro. I'll see you guys later." The guitarist shook hands with Shin, Joon Hee, and the bassist, who pulled him into man hugs.

"We'll miss you, bro." The bassist said.

"Well, bye!" The guitarist said, walking out.

The band collapsed into chairs. Now what? Without any notice they'd lost a guitarist, and they needed to play at Catharsis the following night. But, since they do attend a music school...

NOTICE!

The Stupid is looking for a new guitarist!

If you think you are eligible, be sure to contact Lee Shin!

 

+~~~+