Chapter 3

Gayageum and Guitar

Lee Gyu Won walked home happily, with a small smile on her face. She finally had her chance! She would show that stupid Lee Shin and everyone else that she was more than just a traditional music nerd who was "pretty good" at gayageum. Gyu Won could finally be like her mother.

Gyu Won's mother was a talented guitarist, and she met Gyu Won's father who was a singer at the time. They fell in love and were married. However, Gyu Won's grandfather disowned his son, so they moved away. Gyu Won's parents played in a small band, performing gigs around the city. They lived a happy family, full of music. And then the accident.

Gyu Won and her family went out an outing when Gyu Won's mother was hit by a car. They were walking down the sidewalk, when a drunk driver veered off the road and came straight at Gyu Won. Frozen, Gyu Won couldn't move a muscle, but her mother flung herself in the way and pushed Gyu Won and her father out of the way. She gave her life to protect the family she loved. Gyu Won could only watch as her mother's life slowly bled out. She was never really the same. Yes, she looked happy, and sometimes she really was. But she never loved and laughed the way she used to. It became a little better when she began to play guitar, but she never truly recovered.

When Gyu Won's halabeoji found out about his daughter-in-law's death, he immediately seized Gyu Won from her father. "This is what's best for her," he said. "I only want what's best," he insisted. "She doesn't deserve to with a loser like you." This hurt Gyu Won's father immensely. He agreed. Gyu Won understood, but it shattered her already broken heart. She refused to talk for two years. She played gayageum beautifully, but she would not say a word to anyone. That is, until her father presented her with her first guitar.

It was a pink acoustic guitar. Perfect for her. She learned in secret, and slowly began to talk again. By some miracle, her grandfather never found out. And it was then that she began to work towards her dream of becoming a guitarist like her mother. She bought her electric guitar a few years later, in secret. She saved up money from a small allowance and doing errands around the neighborhood. She loved it. It was a light blue and vibrant pink swirled together on one instrument. 

Gyu Won could play anything if she heard it once, but she had never played for anyone, not even her father.

Lee Gyu Won sat for a while on a bench on campus. She smiled as she sat with her gayageum by her side. She jumped up, as she remembered that today was the day that she had sworn she would show up for dance practice with her crew. She wasn't only a musician, but a dancer as well. She had a lot of talent, and was one of the best with her group, PERFECT. 

She dashed into a bathroom and changed into her comfy clothes for practice. As she walked out, she thought she heard someone throwing up in a stall, but decided to ignore it. As she joined her friends, they berated her slightly for being late.

"Mian, mian. It won't happen again," she said laughing. "Since, apparently, unni isn't here today, I'll run practice. Ok? Then, we'll keep working on Paradise, by Infinite, for the competition in a few weeks. Even if it is a boy band dance, if we tweak it, it'll work just fine."

(link http://www.youtube.com/user/CrazyCarrotNew210#p/u/28/9WGUcTcjtNS)

As they settled into the dance, Gyu Won worked it especially hard. Going through the routine perfectly, especially her solo part. After practice ended and she sent  the other girls home, she stayed after to practice some more. She pushed play on the stereo and settled into the routine.

It just so happened that Joon Hee was passing through on his way to get a snack. Hearing music, he peaked in, and his jaw dropped. She was so pretty! And such a good dancer. He stood and stared, inching closer when the song ended, and the girl turned around. She smiled, "Hi."

"I-I-I..." Joon Hee stuttered. 

"It's okay," Gyu Won laughed. "I don't mind that you were watching. Did you think I was good?" she asked, tilting her head.

"Yes! You were very good, unni!" Joon Hee said excitedly.

Gyu Won laughed. "Unni, well I guess that's okay. Oh, I've got to go. I'll see you around, okay?" she said as she dashed out the door.

Joon Hee nodded and waved. When she was out of sight, he leaned against the door, and put his hands over his heart. "I think I've found her. My beautiful Natasha."

+~~~+

Well, how do you like that?

Switched out Hee Joo for Gyu Won a little there, I think I might take her out of the story, but then it might defeat the purpose...

What do you think?