The Smooth Black Ferret

The Bike Girl [slow update]

Her job finishes early tonight, with only three parcels to be delivered to their respective receivers. She had just logged off from the courier office, cycling her way back home for an early rest when she remembered Yoona’s message earlier. She wonders if the freshman is fine by herself at the after party for the committee members, knowing how pretentious most of them are, especially the men. Yoona did invite her to be a plus one, just because she doesn’t want to bored herself to death, but that Jang was quick to interject and offers to be her ride for the night.

 

Well, she got a job to do anyway.

 

Just as she is lamenting to herself, a cyclist suddenly zooms past her. She paid the person no heed but the bike suddenly slows down to her speed. Yuri watches curiously as the cyclist turns his head to her, staring back as if challenging her for a race. She can’t make out the face; the mouth and nose are covered by the muffler wrapped around his neck, only a pair of eyes revealed staring back at her.

 

The guy tilts his head to front, his thick eyebrow raised in a mocking gesture. Yuri can feel his grin under the muffler, trying to provoke her to agree with the quick match. She quickly scans the road ahead, a straight one with many intersections, at least four, and heavy traffic. A convenient track for a test of speed and endurance.

 

With a firm nod, Yuri quickens her pedaling, tightening her grip on the worn out rubber handles. They are head to head, reaching the first intersection of heavy traffic. She glances up towards the green light, her speed not slowing as she runs past a few cars who give her a honk of warning. It was an easy pass, but not so much for the next one. She pedals faster at the sight of the changing traffic light, a hand grabbing onto the retreating back of a bus. It was only a millimeter distant, but she managed to avoid an almost collision with an incoming motorcycle from the adjacent lane.

 

She releases her hold on the bus, but her opponent suddenly whizzes past her, giving a salute before rushing past the crowd of people about to walk across the intersection. She missed it by a second, the crowd already blocking her way. Not wanting to cause any injury to these innocent passersby, she makes a sharp turn to a dark alleyway. A smile appeared at the narrow road before her.

 

She wasn’t called the Black Ferret in the past for nothing.

 

She runs past the narrow passageway full of boxes, avoiding trash cans and everything blocking her way easily without even pulling the brake. She sees the traffic ahead not stopping, so does her speed. Yuri keeps on pedaling with a grin, one might say she’s crazy to rush through the speeding cars of a one way lane at the exit of the passageway. At the last minute, she directs her bike to a plank pointing upwards. With her speed, the bicycle propels upwards, lifting Yuri up in the air and passing through the one way road in a long jump before safely landing on the next alleyway.

 

She glances over her shoulder, the other cyclist appearing on her back. She can see the person a bit out of breath, so she slows down to keep their speed the same. She receives a pat on her back and a thumb up, a common gesture exchange between two cyclists after an impromptu race. Nodding her head as an acknowledgement, they separate ways at the next intersection.

 

Yuri takes a deep breath and releasing it with a loud huff. It’s been a while since she feels the thrill like the ride earlier. She wonders how the team is now, now that she had gone MIA for almost a year. A solemn smile appeared on her face, making a mental reminder to text a certain byunyu she hasn’t been in contact with when she reaches home later. But for now, she feels as if she should go to the place where a certain freshman is, just in case something happens… whatever that is.

 

Unknown to her, the cyclist from before was eyeing her from the corner of the alleyway. The person pulls away the muffler covering half of the face, shaking her long blonde hair despite her short stature. She takes out a phone and dials a number, her bushy eyebrow lifted with a smile.

 

“Hey, guess who I just raced with? You wouldn’t believe it.”

 

She waits for a second, a small giggle escaping her lips.

 

“It’s her,” She grins, “The Black Ferret.”

 

 

*

 

 

The freshmen week was considered a success despite the fuss during the party, which everyone regards the booze incident as nothing more than a work of some bored students just want to have fun instead of a sabotage gone wrong… just because the president said so.

 

“Before we start our celebratory party, I would like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude to everyone involved with all the preparation and hard work to make this event a success. A special mention to one of our committee members who shouldn’t be participating with the preparation but if it wasn’t because of her, this whole week wouldn’t happen.” JGS motions his glass of beer to the pretty girl sitting absentmindedly by his side, “Please give a round of applause to Miss Im Yoona.”

 

Yoona widen her eyes at the mention of her name, followed by claps and whistling sound from everyone standing around the long table. She smiled politely, raising her own glass of orange juice for the cheers before quickly ducking her head to avoid the leering eyes of the male students. After ending his speech, everyone starts devouring the food already served on a buffet table in front of them.

 

The younger awkwardly stands alone in the middle of the small crowd, not really acquainted with most of them. The only one she’s really on a talking term is probably JGS, but he’s already immersed in a deep conversation with the female students. Well, more like entertaining their shameless advances of openly flirting with him based on his deliberate accentuate of lifted eyebrow and plastic smile.

 

She is in the middle of testing some desserts when a senior guy appeared right beside her, and by right beside her, means he’s totally invading her personal space.

 

“Hey, you’re good?”

 

“Uh, yeah?” I am until you came, Yoona grumbled internally.

 

“That’s great.” He nods, putting up a charming smile which doesn’t faze the younger at all. “Want to sit with us?”

 

He points to a group of seniors on a round table, one of them raising his hand in greeting while others are smirking or muffling their laughter, a few trying to show their handsome grin. Yoona should have been flattered, liking the attention at least. But all she feel is the food she just swallowed about to lurch out of her stomach at the sight of these shameless men putting on a lame move on her.

 

“Excuse me, I’m going to the bathroom.”

 

“Oh, well you want me to accompa-“

 

“I’m about to puke so please go away before I throw up on you instead.” She smiled a tight one directed at the poor startled guy before walking away. Thinking it’s useless to be here anyway, she makes an exit from the small pub.

 

Despite the humid cold air, she can feel her chest lighter, taking a deep breath to calm her nerves. She takes out her phone to call for her two unnies to come pick her up. It was a dumb mistake to agree to the president’s offer to give her a ride, even promising to take care of her for tonight and bring her home safely. She should have borrowed Tiffany’s car since they’re just going to be nestled lazily in their shared room.

 

What a turn of event.

 

She groans loudly after the fifth try, her calls went into voicemail instead. It’s still too early for those two to be sleeping but knowing those couch potatoes, they must be doing something else that is related to the bed, something like… Yoona shudders at the thought, shoving her phone quickly into her hand pouch and strides to the nearest bus stop, hopeful she hasn’t miss the last one or perhaps she can hitch a cab home.

 

Maybe luck is not her forte tonight because a homeless man suddenly approaches her and ask for money. She pays him no heed, thinking he will walk away if she ignores him. It’s a bad move, unfortunately, because the man had turned forceful and begins grabbing Yoona’s hand to reach for her pouch.

 

“Hey! What are you doing?! Stop it!”

 

Yoona pushes him away but he is stronger, holding both of her wrists together as he tries to snatch the small beg. The younger starts yelling for help despite the place seems to be void of people, struggling to free herself from this crazy man’s strong grip.

 

Suddenly, the sound of police siren fills the empty road.

 

“WEE WOO WEE WOO WEE WOO!”

 

The man scrambles to his feet, scampering away without even checking his surroundings. Yoona turns to the source of the fake siren, a girl on a bicycle holding both hands on like a megaphone. She gives the familiar girl an incredulous look.

 

“Seriously?”

 

The tanned girl shrugs with a grin, “I managed to chase him away, right?”

 

The younger huffs with a roll of her eyes, “I can take care of myself well.”

 

“That’s not what it looks like, though.”

 

“Oh, so you were here from the start and decide to just, I don’t know, look?” She points to her eyes in an exasperated manner, earning a quirk of eyebrows from Yuri.

 

“You just said…” She starts with a small voice, only to frown when Yoona cuts her off with a harsh “What?!”

 

Yuri inhales in a deliberate way, telling the girl to follow her action. Yoona closes her eyes frustratingly, but followed anyway. After taking a deep breath a few times, she feels her head a bit clear and calm. And when your head is clear, that’s when you start to realize the unintentional outburst you expressed to the innocent sunbae who had just helped her.

 

“Are you okay now?”

 

Yoona keeps mum but nods anyway, before turning around and walks away while clutching her pouch closer to her chest. Yuri thought the younger must be shaken by the incident. It is really late at night and dangerous for a pretty girl like Yoona to walk alone. Not to mention this side of road is known to be rather silent at this time of the night. Yuri was glad she followed her instinct to come here instead of going straight home. Who knows what else would happen to the girl if she was late even for a second.

 

She decides to keep Yoona company and ride alongside the silent girl. Yuri pedals her bike slowly, keeping the same speed as Yoona’s steps. It was hard but she knows the trick to stop herself from falling flat on the road. Oh, how embarrassing that would be..

 

“Where’s your car?”

 

“Workshop.”

 

Yuri bobs her head slowly, before a thought flits through her head. She got ahead of Yoona, the girl watching nervously afraid if Yuri might leave her all by herself. She was about to shout for the black bean but the latter stops right in front of her before getting off her bike.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“I’m walking with you.”’

 

Yoona feels her chest warmed by Yuri’s gentle smile and considerate thought. She waits for the younger to reach her side before walking beside her with the bike in between them. They continue walking in silence, each of them comfortable with the awkwardness and cool breeze of the night.

 

“Are you cold?”

 

“Yah, can you stop with the sweet gestures?”

 

“What?” Yuri snorted, “I’m just asking. I feel cold so I was wondering if you are too.”

 

“Of course I am.” She mumbles in a low voice, her eyes looking everywhere but the bike girl.

 

Yuri nods indifferently, the doe eyed girl expecting for her sunbae to do something but none came. She was disappointed, to tell the truth, seeing as Yuri made no response to her complaint. Trying to hide her frown, she keeps her stare on the ground.

 

“Pfftt… You’re so obvious.”

 

Something warm fell on Yoona’s shoulder, startling the girl as Yuri walk beside her without a jacket on. She glances on her shoulder, Yuri’s bomber jacket exchanging place with her own.

 

“You’re such an obvious ninja.”

 

“You haven’t seen my ninja moves yet.” Yuri made some punches and chops with her free hand, earning a soft giggle for being a clown.

 

“That’s not a ninja move, that’s just plain stupid.”

 

“Ahh, stop spoiling the mood!” Yuri whined, only to gain another laugh from the girl.

 

“How far is your house exactly?”

 

Yoona ponders for a while, looking around the familiar street only to realized they had walk quite far already. “Just a few blocks away. Why? Are you tired?”

 

“Oh, don’t worry about me. I still got enough energy for another 20 miles.”

 

Yoona was surprised with Yuri’s calmness as she said that. 20 miles? Is she bluffing or what? Even Yoona can’t ride for 5 miles at this time of the day. She should be sleeping instead of riding a bike in the middle of the night. Yoona was about to ask what Yuri was doing in this area when the latter beat her to it as she points to her feet.

 

“It’s just that walking around with those heels is not the best decision with this distance.”

 

True to that, Yoona begins to feel her soles aching from the long walk. It’s still quite far from her house but what can she do? Unless…

 

“Hey, give me a ride.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“I want to ride on your bike.”

 

“With heels? Pfft… Nuh uh. No way.”

 

“Oh, come on! I’ll take them off.”

 

Yuri gives her an incredulous look, another protest coming from her. “No. You’re already tired from walking. You’ll scratch my bike if you fall.”

 

Yoona gives her a look of disbelief. She can’t believe Yuri would put her old bike’s safety over hers. Unconsciously, a pout forms resembling a flounder. Yuri wants to laugh but refrains herself, not wanting to upset the already upset girl. Her steps paused, thinking of a better way that can benefit both of them. Yoona watches curiously as a smile slowly appears on her sunbae’s face.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“Hold on.”

 

Yuri pulls out a worn out rag from her bag, used for wiping her bike when it rains. She folds it a few times to make it thick enough, wrapping it around the top tube before securing it tightly with a pair of ropes she got from the delivered packages. Satisfied with her creative work, she turns around to face Yoona. She stares the girl up and down, before taking a step closer. Yoona widens her eyes to shout, but stops when she sees Yuri holding the end of the jacket and zips it all the way up.

 

She wiggles an eyebrow teasingly from the blushing girl, before turning on her heels. She mounts the saddle and slaps the make-shift seat.

 

“Here, hop on.”

 

“Mwoh? You’re telling me to sit on that dirty rag?”

 

Yuri rolls her eyes, “I wouldn’t have put it in my bag if it’s dirty. Come on!”

 

Yoona contemplates for a while. She still has another 20 minutes walk and her feet are already hurting like hell. Taking off her shoes, she slowly lands her bum on the make-shift rag seat.

 

“What a surprise. This is actually quite comfortable!” Yoona gleams, holding the front bar for support as Yuri put her shoes in her bag.

 

“That means your is small.” Yuri chuckled from Yoona’s offended face but before the girl could refute back, Yuri quickly cycles away, catching the girl in surprise from the sudden take off.

 

“YURIIIIII!!!”

 

She cackles while holding the girl’s waist with her left hand to keep her in place, the latter holding the bar tightly while trying to slap Yuri’s arms. She reluctantly reduce her speed seeing Yoona clenching the iron bar so tight, her knuckles turn white. She let go of Yoona after making sure the speed won’t make the girl fall off, but still watchful of her. Blush creeps on Yoona’s face when she realized the older’s gesture. It was weird, but Yoona had already missed the warmth on her waist. She shrugs it off, thinking she might be really cold after all.

 

It is the first time Yoona had actually rides a bicycle with someone else. She would always imagine riding on someone’s back but this one? This feeling of having someone else on your back while at the same time having the full front view and enjoying the wind slapping your face; it’s of security and freedom.

 

This is a lot better than what Yoona had always imagined.

 

“The wind feels really good.”

 

“It is.”

 

A smile unconsciously appeared on Yuri’s face. She never thought she would let someone else ride her bicycle, beside her late brother. She treasures this bicycle so much, she doesn’t let anyone else touch it unless it was really needed. Even the fixing and maintenance work; Yuri does it all by herself. Now that someone else had touched her bike, even riding it, Yuri wonders if this has another meaning to it…

 

“Yuri?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“My house is the other way.”

 

“O-Oh… Sorry, I didn’t know.” Yuri stutters as she makes a slow u-turn back to the opposite road.

 

“It’s fine.” I don’t mind staying like this for a little longer... Was what Yoona was trying to say. Thankfully her response was fast, barely manage to clamp shut.

 

“That’s my house. You can stop there.” Yoona points to a double-storey building with the familiar bright pink car, the bike coming to a gentle stop in front of the small gate. The younger girl hops off with her bare feet, stretching her legs and waist as she touches the ground.

 

“It might be comfortable at first, but it’s not good for a long ride.” Yuri comments from seeing the girl stretching here and there.

 

“I don’t think I will mind another ride.” Yoona said, her eyes hopeful for a next time.

 

“Just walk around in the middle of nowhere. Who knows, I might pick you up and give you a free ride home.”

 

Yuri teased playfully, but that was enough to make Yoona’s chest flutters. Her cheeks are slowly heating up from Yuri’s lopsided smile. Thankfully the place is dim with only a lone street light illuminating the road.

 

“But make sure to lose some weight first.”

 

“Yah!” Yoona slaps the laughing Yuri.

 

“Well, I’m off. Got some sleep to catch.”

 

“Geez, as if she’s the only one needing a sleep.”

 

“Then get inside quickly! I’m already late for my beauty sleep, all because of you!”

 

“Arasso, arasso!” Yoona steps inside the gate but not before sending a merong to Yuri. The latter shakes her head amusedly, bidding the younger with a salute before darting off on the road back to the comfort of her own room, humming an unknown rhythm with a wide grin. The same thing happened to the younger, little skips visible in her step as she turns in for the night. One might not believe the countless misfortunes she had if she ever told them, because the face said otherwise.

 

No matter, she had forgotten about them anyway and ends up with a deep sleep and a wide smile etched on her face.

 

 

*

 

 

That morning, Yoona wakes up with a loud noise downstairs where her two noisy unnies began acting like the Americans they are just as soon as they awake. She groans, slamming a pillow on her face to drown the clanking and breaking noise coming from the kitchen.

 

“Wait, the kitchen…?”

 

Fully alarmed and awakened, Yoona jumps to her feet and scurries to the source of the racket. Her eyes widen from the scene of Jessica boringly pouring a cup of coffee while Tiffany scooping cereals from her bowl in a peaceful manner. They both turn to the new presence of the maknae.

 

“Morning, Yoona-yah!” Tiffany happily chirps while Jessica barely managed a small nod of her head, despite being overly awake at this time of the day. That’s a little odd, Yoona thought.

 

“What was the sound earlier?”

 

Jessica raises a brow while Tiffany shrugs innocently, “What sound?”

 

“The normal disastrous sound whenever the two of you messes with the kitchen.” Yoona looks at them accusingly with her wary eyes.

 

Tiffany gasped with a hurt expression, “My, how preposterous! Are you saying we can’t cook a proper meal of simple breakfast and only know how to burn the kitchen instead, Yoona?”

 

Yoona thinks back of the many mishaps they had encountered, mostly involving the stove or microwave or even the innocent-looking toaster ending up in a black charred unidentified object which had to be replaced with a new one at least once a week.

 

“Uh, yeah?”

 

Tiffany burst to tears while Jessica rolled her eyes, patting her girlfriend gently for support.

 

“Well, the only sound I can hear is your phone blasting off since you got here…” The blonde commented while taking a sip of her coffee, the red head clinging to her waist and wiping her non-existent snot on Jessica’s pajama.

 

Yoona gives them her suspicious look once again, before disappearing upstairs to answer her phone. Tiffany pause her crying, trying to listen to Yoona’s steps upstairs.

 

“Is she gone?”

 

“I think so.”

 

They both let out a loud breath of relief.

 

“I told you we should get take away instead of trying to make breakfast.”

 

“But I want to make you breakfast!” Tiffany whines, earning a lifted eyebrow from her partner.

 

“What’s the occasion, though?”

 

“Oh, you know… Cause last night was,” The red head bit her lower lip with a wink, a finger circling her girlfriend’s exposed and y collarbone. “Amajjing.”

 

Jessica should feel hot and bothered by her flirty advances, but instead she cackles.

 

“Yah! Why are you laughing?”

 

“That word is such a turn off.” Jessica continues her laugh even with the deep pout etched on Tiffany’s face, earning slap attacks by the latter. With one slick move, Jessica grabs the slapping hand and pulls the owner closer, before pushing the girl on the wall and trapping the latter with her body.

 

“But I wouldn’t mind giving you another,” the blonde nuzzles their nose together. “Amajjing time together.” She nips the lips of the flustered girl, only to earn a giggle.

 

“Oh my god, you’re right! That word is such a turn off!”

 

They shared a laugh together, their giggles exchanging with pecks on the lips. As their laughter calms down (along with their flirty kisses), Jessica juts her chin out of the window.

 

“We should take care of that first before we go Netflix and chill for the whole day.”

 

Tiffany hums, looking outside at the poor burned toaster and broken pieces of Yoona’s favorite mug being thrown recklessly to save their asses from getting a scolding from the maknae slash the mother of the house. Both of them sigh, reluctantly detaching their bodies and start working to clear up the messes they made.

 

 

*

 

 

Black Bean Bike Sunbae

Be there in 10

 

 

Yoona was just finishing her make up when her phone dings. She replied with a short “Okay” and put her phone down, unaware of the smile playing on her face. It was really weird when she received a call from Yuri earlier, asking if she’s free for the day. It was weirder when Yoona had agreed within seconds to her invitation to hang out, not even asking what are they doing or where are they going. She looks to the mirror, the reflection of her smiling made her shock.

 

 

Oohhh~ It feels like L.O.V.E. is in the air~

 

Great, you’re here.

 

Ouch, that hurts… Don’t you miss me?

 

No. You’re annoying. I live just fine without you interfering in my life.

 

Heh, of course you’re fine. Because of a certain someone, isn’t it? Someone with a… bike?

 

W-What are you saying?

 

Ha! Gotcha! Oohh, I love it when I’m right!

 

What makes you think you’re right? I haven’t even told you anything…

 

Exactly! I don’t need you to tell my anything. Your face said it all.

 

My face?

 

Yeah. Can you see how you look like right now? That was what I’ve been telling you all along, kiddo.

 

W-What?

 

Aish… Your feelings, obviously!

 

I… don’t get it?

 

Oh, you will soon. Just trust the beating of your heart and go along with the flow, arasso?

 

 

She lightly touches her cheek, the smile still visible even after her confusing conversation with devilYoong who is not so devilish after all. It should change career as a love angel or something. Just as she is deep in her own thoughts, the sound of car honking from outside breaks her reverie. She takes a peek outside of her bedroom window, finding Yuri standing outside a branded compact car.

 

“Uh, so you weren’t kidding when you said we’re going for a ride?”

 

Yuri looks up from her phone, grinning at the sight of the younger poking her head out of the window.

 

“What, you thought I’m gonna bring my bike instead? Aww, you already miss riding with me, huh?”

 

Yoona rolls her eyes with a loud “Yeah, right.” before grabbing her hand pouch and going down. The place is quiet and she noticed the red convertible is missing, her unnies probably going somewhere. Well, it spares her the explanation to both of them of why Yuri is standing in front of their porch with a nice car instead of her ugly, rusty bicycle.

 

She eyes the car, a bit amazed that Yuri could afford one. She had just enjoyed a short ride in Yuri’s bicycle, she couldn’t imagine having an upgrade this soon for another ride with her sunbae. Maybe she is actually concerned that Yoona is uncomfortable with her bike, which was not the case at all. So Yoona considers this car ride as a really sweet gesture coming from the brutally honest and annoying Yuri who only knows to , already anticipating their alone time together for the whole day. She might have swoon a bit when Yuri opens the door of the back seat for her, a smug smile on the latter’s face.

 

However, her fantasy was crushed as soon as she got inside the back seat, a long pole with a bob-cut hair greets her with greasy fingers and loud munching of chips.

 

“Hey, Yoong! How do you like my car?” She wiggles her eyebrows, “It’s really cool, huh?”

 

“Oh. This is yours?”

 

“Of course, who else! Yul here can’t even afford a new bicycle, let alone a car.” Sooyoung snorts while slapping Yuri’s back.

 

"It's your parents' car, excuse me!" Yuri defends herself, “Besides, I don't need a new bike. That old one is enough for me.”

 

“Right, right. I forgot you’re such a sentimental dude, I don’t know what you see with that thing.”

 

“Yah, got a problem with my bike?”

 

“Yeah, I do! I can’t give you a ride to college because of that… thing!”

 

“That thing is a bike! My bike!”

 

“Yah, Yoona! Can you tell Yuri that bike of hers is not safe and an eye-sore to everyone?”

 

Yoona glances to the frowning black bean who’s crossing her arms in defense, “It’s a nice bike, in my opinion.”

 

“Wh-… MWOH?!”

 

She shrugs, “It is a bit old, but it’s still ride-able. Why waste money on something we can still use?”

 

Yoona can see the frown quirking up into a smile, her sunbae making a winning face of “I told you so” to the driver of the car who pouts dejectedly from her answer. Wanting to change the topic, she quickly asked a question.

 

“So, where are we going actually?”

 

“Where else?” Sooyoung replies with mouth full, “We’re going to see Yuri’s girl, Hana.”

 

“Oh,” Yoona nods, only to be surprised after the answer finally registered fully in her head. “Wait, eh?”

 

Just in cue, the car comes to a stop in front of a small building surrounded by wooden fence with a small garden at the front. Yoona followed the other two out of the car, confused at the signboard on the front gate.

 

 

LITTLE SUNSHINE ORPHANAGE

 

 

“Yoona? You coming?” Yuri asked as she waits for the girl, while Sooyoung had already entered the gate with both hands full of plastic bags she got from the car’s trunk.

 

“Huh? Oh, yeah…”

 

She returns Yuri’s smile, walking side by side with the sunbae, questions clouding her head. But it seems like the questions will keep multiplying themselves at the sight of a small kid running to their direction, happily screaming with a loud pitch. Her eyes widen at the fast approaching kid, already preparing herself for the collision. Instead, the girl diverts herself to Yuri already kneeling with a hand outstretched to catch the incoming cannonball.

 

“Yuuuulll!”

 

The tanned girl warps her arms around the small figure before lifting her up and spinning her body in a circle, both of them laughing gleefully. Sooyoung jogs to them after leaving the bags on the porch, her palm lifted for a high five but was instead ignored by the kid.

 

“Did you bring my pizza, Soo?” The girl asked.

 

“Wha?” Sooyoung sighs exasperatedly. “Seriously, Yul… Teach her some manners instead of food. I mean, look at her! The first thing she always ask when I greet her is FOOD!”

 

“Your face screams food, that’s why.” Yuri rolled her eyes as she pats the leftover crumbs of potato chips off the pole’s shoulder. “Besides, you’re the one who teaches her about these unhealthy food. I told you she needs to eat her veggies, not pizzas!”

 

“Pizzas, veggies… same thing! Pizzas have veggies on top too… right, Hana?”

 

“Very right!” The girl agreed with a serious face, earning a deep sigh from Yuri.

 

“Isn’t it? Yul the only who doesn’t understand, right?”

 

“Really right!” She nods, poking her tongue out to follow Sooyoung’s annoying gesture at the annoyed Yuri who only watches them with crossed arms. She raised an eyebrow at her tall friend, the latter startled at the meaning behind the subtle motion.

 

Sooyoung gulps, “Ahahaha! Come on, Hana. I’ll show you where the pizza is…before Yuri kills me.” She whispered the last sentence, which didn’t go unnoticed by the bike girl.

 

Yuri merely shakes her head unamused, though a smile is ghosting her lips. Leave it to Sooyoung to teach the right thing to a kid. Oh, how she regrets her decision now. Then, she realized the presence of Yoona quietly standing with some distance between them.

 

“What are you doing over there?”

 

“I don’t know,” Yoona shrugs, “Trying not to look like a fool of a stranger with your happy reunion, I guess?”

 

“Sorry, it’s the first time I brought someone else here other than Sooyoung.”

 

“Oh.” Yoona slowly nods, not knowing how to react with that information.

 

Both of them stand awkwardly at the front gate, with Yoona kicking the small pebble with all the questions in her head and Yuri trying to rake her brain on what to say. She didn’t think through when she abruptly invites the younger girl for a day out in the orphanage, all she wanted was to cheer up the girl after what happened last night on the party. Maybe, she’s finally ready to open up her heart to a newcomer.

 

She glances at Yoona’s face, her expression tells everything. Of the questions she has but not sure how to ask them, of the absurdity of it all. Taking a deep breath, she reaches out a hand.

 

“Hey.”

 

Yoona looks at the outstretched hand, confused. “What?”

 

“Let’s go inside,” She smiles warmly, taking Yoona’s hand into her own. “I’ll answer all the questions and riddles about me that are floating in your head, okay?”