The Not-so-Pretty Girl

The Bike Girl [slow update]

“I’m late I’m late I’m late… GYAAAAH I’M LAAATE!”

 

It’s the first day of her sophomore year and the girl is already late for her class. She wore whatever clothes she can reach before quickly dashing out of the rented room, snatching a piece of bread on her way out. Strapping her backpack securely with the bread hanging on her lips, she hopped onto her bicycle when her phone ringed.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Yah! Where are you right now, Yul?”

 

“Uhh still at home?”

 

“Yah yah yah! Why are you still there? Class is about to start in like… 15 minutes!”

 

“I’m already on my bike.” Yuri took a short glance on the road and start pedalling slowly, “Soo, I’m gonna hang up. You’re gonna make me more late than it should be.”

 

“Pffft… Don’t worry. I’m still having breakfast at my house.”

 

Yuri’s eyes almost bulged out, “What the… Yah! Are you crazy? I thought you’re already at college?!”

 

“I overslept. And I’m calling you to make sure we’re in this together. You and I, Yul. We’re all in this togetheeeer~” She singsang in a hideous Elvis Presley voice.

 

“Not today, Soo. Not today.”

 

“I was gonna invite you with my car, you know.”

 

“I’ll get there faster with my bike.”

 

“Tch. You and your freaky obsession with that worn out bike…”

 

“You’re done? I’m hanging up now. Bye, Soo~”

 

“Yah, Yul! Wai-...”

 

Yuri immediately hanged up and slipped the gadget into her pocket with an annoyed face. She’s already late and Sooyoung’s phone call is not making things better on her side.

 

To insult her beloved bike...

 

Yuri cursed mentally and decided to pay revenge to Sooyoung’s car later. Increasing her pedalling, Yuri zoomed past a couple of cars on the road. She’s fast and she loves it. She really liked riding bicycle; it has been her passion since she was a toddler, courtesy of her late brother. It was a gift from him, a normal flat bar road bike, but she loved it so much, she has been using the old bike wherever she went.

 

The ride to her college took almost 20 minutes with her normal route but Yuri decided to use a shortcut and doubling her pedalling speed. She was used to it and luckily she never broke a sweat with the routine. The red traffic light at the intersection started blinking, indicating it will soon turn green for the cars. With a smirk on her face, Yuri began pedalling like crazy, her bum detached from the seat to ease the movement of her legs. She successfully zoomed past the intersection just as the lights turned green.

 

Instead of using the straight road, Yuri made a sharp left turn towards a big public park. There was a big sign with NO CYCLING ON THE GRASS written on it. The sign was never there on her freshman year, Yuri noticed. But after countless of sightings of a stray girl cyclist (probably her, Yuri suspected) riding through the green carpet, the management decided to put one with the sole purpose of preserving the nature’s natural grass and preventing the high cost for the grass maintenance.

 

But Yuri was having none of that. She did it once, and she’ll do it again whenever time forbids her to. Like right now, obviously. The grass won’t die just because of some tire marks, and it’s already been a year since the first incident happened. The grass is still as green and pretty as it was the first time Yuri saw it.

 

Instead of cycling through the pavement provided, Yuri veered to the vast green to cut across the field. Her college is located directly behind the park and the best way to go is through the grass field.

 

“HEY! GET OFF THE GRASS!” An ahjusshi with a broom on his hand warned Yuri as the girl approached his direction.

 

Oh no. Not this ahjusshi...

 

The ahjusshi took a long look at the cyclist, his eyes widen when he recognized the dark skin of the rider with that black hair who had been bringing him trouble since a year ago.

 

“Yah, yah… You again!”

 

“I’m sorry, ahjusshi! Move aside or you’re gonna get hit!”

 

The ahjusshi pointed at her with his long broom. He tried to block the girl with his broom but with Yuri’s excellent maneuvering, the latter swerved the bike away from the angry ahjusshi and zoomed past him with ease.

 

“ASSA!”

 

“Yah! Come back here!”

 

“I will but later, okay?”

 

She waved at him before increasing her pedalling as she jumped her bike over the beds of flowers, careful not to crushed those beautiful creatures. She might break one of the laws, but Yuri still has a decent appreciation of the nature. She smiled as the view of her college building appeared after riding through a passage of green tree-tunnels that connected her college with the public park. The place is peaceful for her liking, but she prefered speed over calmness. She enjoyed the sound of dried leaves rustling and twigs breaking under her tires with the slapping of cold morning breeze on her cheeks.

 

“This is life…”

 

The peaceful environment got crowded with people walking and cars passing as she reached the end of the tunnel. Making a sharp turn without slowing down, she slithered her way along the cars on the road. She reached another traffic light but the lights were on her side that time. Not caring to look for other cars as her mind is still occupied with trying to reach the college on time, she dashed through the almost empty road, not paying heed on a car speeding to her direction out of nowhere.



 

HOOOONK!!!



 

Shocked by the sudden honking of the speeding car, Yuri quickly swerved her bike to avoid it... only to be met with the sight of the rear bumper of another car already stopping at the red light.



 

SCREEECK…



 

Putting all of her strength in her limbs, Yuri tightly gripped the brakes with her feet outstretched on the road to forcefully stop her bicycle.  



 

THUD.



 

She managed to stop the bike, her body almost thrown to the front by the small momentum of her bicycle colliding with the rear bumper of a yellow car.

 

“OMO! Omo omo omo omo…are you okay, Yuri? Omo, you’re still alive. Thank god you’re fine.”

 

Yuri mumbled, her hands trembling from gripping the handles too tight. Her heart had almost jumped out of her chest, the adrenaline suddenly kicking in from the almost collision she had barely avoided. It was only a millimeter away before Yuri would be sent flying through the air if not for her successful braking.

 

The driver of the red car got out, revealing an angry looking woman with a flaming red hair that seemed too bright for Yuri’s liking. She almost squinted her eyes from the sun’s blaring reflection of the red hair.

 

“Hey, are you an idiot?! I would have hit you earlier!”

 

It was supposed to be the driver’s fault since the light was definitely red on the driver’s side and Yuri had already arranged the sentences for her argument in her head. But Yuri never expected the red girl would use English words in this conservative country of South Korea. It caught her dumbfounded.

 

“Are you deaf? Can you hear me?! Oh jesus...”

 

Yuri’s mouth was acting like a fish, not really sure what she should be saying. Would the girl understand her if she speaks in Hangul or should she try conversing with her kindergarten level of English? Yuri decided to give it a try and defend herself. She got on the road, hands holding the bike to support her still shaking legs. She took a deep breath and voiced out whatever words came to her mind.

 

“Sorry. Lights. Red. You stop. I go.”

 

Yuri made hand motions with her limited knowledge of the foreign language in hopes the girl would understand it. She’s trying all her best to win the argument, even using body languages. It’s her country and a foreigner is not bringing her down with this almost accident if she thinks Yuri’s getting the blame. She still got another problem to deal with; the yellow car she bumped into.

 

“Huh?”

 

“You. Wrong. I is right. Now, apologise?”

 

“What? Are you retarded or something?”

 

Yuri let out a sigh, a hand rubbing her pulsating forehead. She heard the door of the other car slammed and another sigh came.

 

Oh great. Another one is coming out and I’m still stuck with this crazy foreigner. Give me a break!

 

“Yah, yah, yah! What is this?! Aiiishh...”

 

Yuri turned to source of the voice, a nerve already pulsating on her forehead. However, Yuri was caught breathless at the sight of a pure, angel-like tall girl with dark brown hair appearing beside the red girl.

 

“Ppany-unnie, are you okay?”

 

“No! This retarded person starts making hand gestures and mumbling like an idiot. And we’re already late!”

 

Yuri kept her gaze on this beautiful girl, thinking how can a person as pretty as her can be, well… as pretty as her?! Damn, even Yuri can’t understand her own thinking. She flipped her hair, turning around to face Yuri with a scowl. Was she in a shampoo advert cause this girl acted like a pro with that flipping, Yuri thought. It made her wanting to touch the smooth hair, running through it while holding the girl’s cheek...

 

Wait, no. What the heck was that? I should be angry not fangirling at her!

 

She can’t even think right. This girl just made her brain dead, Yuri’s losing all of her senses. But of course, her senses came rushing back when the said pretty person decided to open .

 

“Hey, you pabo! You crashed into my car!”

 

Yuri took back whatever she said about this girl having pretty written all over her being because wasn’t as pretty as it looks like.

 

“GASP! She did? Where, where? Show me. We need to sue this girl.”

 

Yuri’s mouth was wide agape from the perfect pronunciation of the red girl, although some of them still sounded weird to Yuri’s ears. But that’s not the problem. She can actually speak in Hangul! And these two girls even know each other. Did they planned for this accident to happen?

 

“Yah! I thought you were a foreigner! You made me look like an idiot earlier!”

 

“I don’t care if you looked like an idiot, not my problem.” The red head rolled her eyes, “You just hit my friend’s car! And almost made my pink car injured!”

 

“I wouldn’t have hit her if not for your reckless driving!”

 

The other girl that was watching them bickering put a hand on the driver's shoulder to calm her down. She made a gesture that she would take care of it.

 

“You.” She crossed her arms with an air of arrogance, pointing at the spot like a gangster. “That scratch is gonna cost me my allowance for five months. You should pay for that.”

 

Yuri blinked a few times from the demanding voice.

 

Pretty attitude, crossed out.

 

That makes it two point crossed out of her prettiness already. Yuri copied her stance while pointing at the red hair. “You should ask your friend, not me. I’m innocent.”

 

“Hey! You just hit my pink car!” The loud person were scanning her car for any dent or scratch when she found one. “OMO! THIS LOOKS BAD!”

 

“No, I didn’t.” Yuri rolled her eyes.

 

“Yeah you did! Look, look…” The red-haired girl pointed at the corner of her front bumper, “There! You see that?”

 

The three of them got closer on the said spot. Yuri raised a brow at the perfect red paint of the car without any scratch seen. “Uhh...no?”

 

“Yah, look closer! There!”

 

Indeed, there was a small, tiny little black spot on the car. Yuri made a stoic face, “That’s bird poo.”

 

“What? Bird’s poo? Noooo! My caaarrr!!”

 

“Oh god, please kill me for this.” The tall girl mumbled loudly while shaking her head. “But you still need to pay for that scratch.”

 

Yuri shrugged before walking to the other car. She inspected the spot, puffing out air loudly from from the ridiculousness of everything that’s happening. Wiping the black tire mark with her sleeve, the said scratch disappeared like it was magic. The owner’s eyes widen in surprised.

 

“Wha… What did you just do?!”

 

“It was just a tire mark.”

 

“Y-Yah! Are you tampering with the evidence? Now how am I gonna report this?”

 

“Wha…?” Yuri stood there dumbfounded. She didn’t know if the girl was joking or she was just plain dumb. Is this what they meant when a girl possessing beauty does not mean she possess the brain too? Okay... pretty brain, crossed out.

 

“You still need to pay us for the traumatic effect.” She pointed at the frowning and sulking girl crouching in front of her car, muttering incoherent words while the headlight like she was sorry.

 

Oh god please don’t do this to me. I’m already late and I don’t want to deal with another weirdo...

 

“Just bring her to a clinic. I’m outta here.” Yuri quickly mounted her bicycle when an officer stopped his motorcycle to see what’s with the commotion in the middle of the road.

 

“Yah, yah! What’s going on here? You’re blocking the way! Move aside!”

 

“Aigoo, mister… It was bad. We almost got hit by this crazy bicycle girl and she’s trying to run away.”

 

The girl put on an act, acting like a damsel in distress in front of the officer while pointing everywhere to make it believable. She turned to Yuri, smirking at the shocked girl before turning to the officer with a sad face.

 

Yuri stared at her incredulously, “Are you serious?”

 

“So… she hit both of you?” The officer raised a brow from the unbelievable story. She looked back and forth between Yuri, the tall pretty girl and the messed up red hair sulking on the ground.

 

“Yes! There was even a scratch on my car...”

 

“I’ve already took care of it.” Yuri mumbled while scratching her head but the officer didn’t catch it.

 

“But she still hit us! Look at my friend, traumatised from the crash. I think it’ll take her months to recover....”

 

The girl batted her eyelashes, her perfect charm managed to make the officer blush from her cuteness. He almost swoon from her cuteness but regained his composure when he met Yuri’s glare. He cleared his throat.

 

“Well… I can’t think of any other way than to give a ticket to you, young lady.”

 

“What?! Wait, it’s not even my fault. They were-...”

 

The officer put a hand on Yuri’s shoulder, whispering silently to the girl with a desperate face. “Please don’t make this harder than it already is. People are cursing at me for not handling this properly.”

 

And he didn’t heard the long cursing Yuri shouted at him in her head.

 

Yuri stared at the ticket with an open mouth, not believing she received one for the first time in her life for something that was not even her fault to begin with. The girls got back into the car, revving up the engine. The driver of the yellow car unwind her window, a taunting smile on her face.

 

“You should close your mouth or you’re eating flies for breakfast. See ya, weirdo!”

 

“Yah!” Yuri shouted as the car whizzed past her. “Don’t think I’ll forget about this! I’ll remember you and your stupid yellow car! And that other car wasn’t even pink! It’s RED!”

 

She huffed out loudly, the shouting managed to make her calm for a bit although the car had already left her in dust, not even hearing a single word she said. Out of habit, she pulled her left hand to the front. Her eyes widen when her pink watch showed it had already been 10 minutes since her first class started.

 

“I’M SCREWED!!!”





 

(#_#)(#_#)(#_#)(#_#)(#_#)(#_#)(#_#)(#_#)(#_#)(#_#)






 

Yuri ducked her head low as if she was focusing on reading the book on her table. She was lucky the professor was late that day due to traffic, but she can’t hide the fact that she was indeed late since they arrived exactly at the perfect time. The professor decided to let it slip but he still made fun of Yuri and her worn-out bike in class. That’s why she’s been avoiding his stare since class started, while trying to forget the scene that happened that morning. She grunted as she remembered the ticket she received. Who in the world would get a ticket for riding a bike?!

 

Yuri was infamous for being known as the Bike Girl since she’s the only girl in the college who rides a bike whereas others used public transport or cars to college. They are more easier and accommodating for the girls. But Yuri just shrugged it off, reasoning those are excuses for their fashion senses which are not suitable for a rider like her. Even Sooyoung agreed, telling Yuri that she had bland taste in fashion; with shirts, jeans and slacks every day. She wondered how a girl like Yuri would survive college life.

 

A ball of paper flew through air, hitting Yuri square on her left eye. She ignored the intrusion, glancing to the front to make sure the professor didn’t saw that or she’ll suffer another embarrassment from him. However, the flying balls continue to disturbed her. She bit her lip in annoyance after the tenth hit, snapping her head to the person sitting beside her.

 

“What?” She whispered through gritted teeth.

 

“Are you on your period?” Sooyoung asked innocently while chewing on a gum. All of the paper balls she threw were made from the gum wrapper. Yuri squinted her deadly eyes, turning her attention again on the book.

 

“You see that girl? The one sleeping with an open mouth?” Sooyoung nudged Yuri for her attention, the girl looking everywhere for that girl Sooyoung was talking about.

 

“They’re all sleeping here. Which one?”

 

“The blonde one.”

 

Yuri nodded, her attention once again on the book, uninterested with the lazy blonde. “What’s with her?”

 

“She’s new here. Made from America.”

 

“And how did you know that?” Yuri raised a brow, eyes still on a blank page.

 

“Geez, where were you this morning? They were introducing her in class.”

 

“I was busy getting flustered over Prof. Choi’s jokes about me. After that, BAM! I shut off from any of his words.”  

 

“Oh yeah. Why were you late than I was this morning, Miss Biker?”

 

“It’s a story I don’t want to talk about.”

 

“Ehh you’ll tell me sooner or later.” Sooyoung shrugged before an idea came to her wrecked mind. “Hey, wanna see something funny?”

 

Yuri made a curious look as the tall girl took out another gum from her pocket. Popping the strip into , she began tearing the wrapper into pieces and turned them into balls.

 

“One serving of ramyun if I got this.” Sooyoung wiggled her eyebrows as she pointed at the blonde girl sleeping with wide open. Yuri snorted in disbelief.

 

“Oh god. You’re not serious, Soo… There’s no way you’re gon-... OMO!”

 

The scene was like a golf ball being clubbed by a professional player, much to Yuri and Sooyoung’s amusement. The ball looped through air and landed straight into the hole, only the hole was the blonde’s mouth.

 

“HUURRKK!!!”

 

She woke up with choked breath, the ball probably went through . She rose from her seat and spit out the paper ball, rubbing her lips from the disgusting thing falling out of nowhere.

 

“Is there something wrong here, Miss Jung?”

 

“Who the hell did that?!” She yelled with an icy air, glaring at everyone including the professor.

 

“I think that won’t happen if you would pay enough attention to not fall asleep in my class, Miss Jung. Now sit down and please refrain yourself from shutting your eyes again.”

 

Sooyoung and Yuri snickered silently among themselves while sharing a fistbump.

 

“And to Miss Choi and Miss Kwon,” the professor turned towards them with a displeased look, although a smirk apparent on his handsome face. “Please stop playing pranks on your classmate.”

 

Both Sooyoung and Yuri slumped on their chairs while trying to hide their faces with the books as all eyes fall on them. However, they started feeling the shivers when their eyes met the cold stare of the blonde girl.



 

GULP!



 

They’re already dead meat.

 

 

 


 

A/N: So how was it? Is it good? Is it bad? Man I'm getting nervous for nothing ahaha... Update will be in a few days so see ya guys later!