Unintentional Date

You (태양처럼)
Please log in to read the full chapter

IT'S only a few weeks into the start of the semester and Isabelle already has exams coming up. Because her room at the goshiwon is not only compact but also dimly lit, and although the cafes off-campus have nice study environments, she decides to be economically smart and use the resource that's provided for her (not to mention included in her tuition). Isabelle is heading to the library to study, which for the past week has become her second home. On the days she doesn't tutor Jinhyeong (their meeting spot changing almost every time), she goes straight there as soon as her last class lets out and stays there until closing at midnight every day. Isabelle wasn't always this studious, but ever since she cut herself off from society after the incident, studying soon became her solace because why not- she didn’t have anything else to do, so might as well be productive.

She’s walking toward the entrance of the library when she sees a familiar face walking from another direction toward the library doors. Isabelle abruptly stops and quickly turns around, walking in the opposite direction. Psh, I have a bit of spending money. What's a little 5000 won latte for a seat and free wi-fi going to do to my budget? Not much! Ha...ha... But the library's so much brighter and more spacious... I probably won't bump into him anyway. Wait, why am I running away in the first place? I don’t have anything to be afraid of! Pshh... Isabelle turns back around and walks straight through the library entrance. She glances from side-to-side discreetly, hoping not to see him nor be seen by him when...

"Looking for me?" A familiar voice questions from behind her.

Shoot! Isabelle's face flushes pink and her heart is pounding in her ears as she turns around to face none other but Brian Kang. She gives a pained, forced smile. Brian raises his eyebrows at her, amused.

"Izzy," Brian greets. "I haven't seen you in forever. Have you been avoiding me?"

Isabelle doesn't deny it. "That's a possibility."

"So honest." Brian chuckles. "What happened? I thought we became friends."
"You said that, but I never verbally agreed to it," Isabelle points out.
"Who does that nowadays?" Brian scoffs. "It's all about the nonverbal pact that hearts make when they connect, you know what I'm saying? It's about the feels~"

The feels...right... Isabelle's face grows hot. I had those for a hot second; how ironic. After that night, Isabelle thought long and hard (not really) about her- let’s say, momentary lapse of reason that caused some uninvited feelings for Brian to appear out of thin air. And she came to the conclusion that they were unreasonable and ridiculous. As a result, she decided to stop those feelings before they could fester; she didn’t respond to his texts and avoided him like the plague, which is why her meeting place with Jinhyeong would change all the time, especially at off-campus locations. She purses her lips.

"I need to go study," Isabelle declares, ignoring Brian's comments and turns to walk away.

Isabelle actually thought she was free, but a few seconds later, Brian shows up right beside her. She sighs, but doesn't shoo him away, choosing instead to just ignore his presence. But that's a little hard as she can see in her peripherals Brian staring at her as they walk up the stairs.

"I don't get it," Brian states. "We got along so well that night. I was pretty sure that we had become friends."
"Watch where you're going before you trip and fall," Isabelle says monotonously, eyes forward.
"There you go! See?" Brian grins excitedly. "Friends don't let friends fall."
"It's a common courtesy even among strangers," Isabelle counters.
"A-ha, but we're not strangers." Brian clicks his tongue as they reach the second level of the library. "You care for me; don't deny your feelings. By the way, no Jinhyeong-ie today? I miss that kid."

Isabelle rolls her eyes at his comments and heads to an empty table with Brian right behind her.

"How long do you plan on staying?" Brian asks curiously, pulling out his chair.

Isabelle haughtily puts her index finger to her lips with a smirk and points at the 'Silent Study' sign overhead. Brian gapes and plops down in his chair, sliding down into a slouch. Damn, Izzy led me straight to the lion's den... Brian watches like a sad puppy that's stuck outside waiting for its owner to return, as Isabelle who's sitting across from him takes out folders, notebooks, and her laptop. Finally, she plugs her earphones into the laptop jack and pops them into her ears before flipping through her notes, a do-not-disturb sign practically blaring on her face. She didn't even look at me. Or say a 'see you later' before leaving to the freaking twilight (see: study) zone. Brian sighs, disappointed. I guess I actually have to do work and study now...

—x—

A few hours later, Brian's leaning on the table, practically laying on it, with his cheek on his arm that's spread flat on the desk. He's staring at the same sentence of the same chapter he's been trying to read for the past hour, spinning a pen in his free hand. It's usually a slow process for him because he doesn't enjoy reading tasteless textbooks, but it's especially excruciating today when Isabelle is sitting right across from him, distracting him. He wants to talk to her and get to know her, but he can't even do that because they're unfortunately in the 'Silent Study' area. He peeks up at her for the umpteenth time. She's so focused. How does she do it? Why doesn't she notice me? Isn't she bored? Isn't she hungry? I'm so sure it's time for dinner. 


Brian presses the home button on his phone and lazily checks the time. As I predicted... Brian drops his pen on the table and sits up as he picks up his phone to type a text message. When it's sent, he looks over to Isabelle's side and sees her phone screen light up, but she doesn't notice, being too concentrated on her notes. Of course... Brian rummages through his backpack for light, small objects that he could throw to get her attention without causing any damage. He pulls out his bandana and an eraser for back up. He balls the bandana up in his hand before launching it over to Isabelle's side. It lands over her laptop like a drape and she looks up, confused before locking eyes with Brian and scowling in annoyance. Brian merely grins and waves his phone at her, pointing, and mouthing for her to check hers. She sighs but sets down her pen to grab her phone and read the message he sent.

Annoying kid
Today, 6:34 PM
It's time for dinner! Let's go eat~

Brian smiles when he sees Isabelle typing.

Izzy Yoon :3
Today, 6:36 PM
I don't eat dinner. Go by yourself.

Brian looks up in surprise and sees Isabelle back to her notes. He shakes his head and types rapidly.

Annoying kid
Today, 6:36 PM
Hell nah, girl. You are not skipping meals. Not only is it unhealthy, but come on, food is good! Why would you refuse it?? Let's go~

Isabelle had placed her phone on top of her laptop, so she notices the screen light up this time. She grabs her phone and purses her lips at the message.

Izzy Yoon :3
Today, 6:37 PM
It's fine. Just go.

Brian looks up to see Isabelle looking back at him. She waves him off and mouths for him to just go. He shakes his head before looking down again at his phone to type.

Annoying kid
Today, 6:37 PM
Don't make me come over there~ I'll make a scene if I have to!

Isabelle narrows her eyes at the message and looks up at Brian who's smirking at her. She types furiously.

Izzy Yoon :3
Today, 6:38 PM
You wouldn't dare...

Brian responds almost instantly.

Annoying kid
Today, 6:38 PM
Watch me tho.

Isabelle looks up so fast, she nearly gets whiplash. She watches in horror as Brian slowly scoots back his chair, which makes a loud, terrible squeaking sound against the glassy tile flooring. Isabelle looks around as students studying in the library turn to glare at the source of the noise. Brian stands up, but before he can walk over, Isabelle

Please log in to read the full chapter