Bye Felicia

You (태양처럼)
Please log in to read the full chapter

IT'S the day of freshman (and transfer) orientation at Dongguk University in Seoul. Isabelle is shuffling at a slow, leisurely pace behind her parents who are dragging her around campus to all her class buildings, different information sessions, extracurricular club tables, and the like. Her father stops at a club table and turns back to look for Isabelle with bright, expectant eyes.

"Izzy, look!" Mr. Yoon waves her over, pointing at the Tennis Club banner. "Tennis, you play tennis!"

Isabelle looks around, slightly embarrassed by her dad's loud voice, but also weary of a few people looking at them with mixes of awe and confusion on their faces- most likely because her Korean father isn't speaking Korean in Korea.

"Dad, I haven't played tennis since I took lessons when I was six," Isabelle states in Korean, not wanting to draw attention to herself as well.
"Ah, really?" Mr. Yoon replies in French anyways before another banner catches his eye. "Oh, Business and Management Club! Sounds fun!"

Isabelle looks over to where her dad is pointing and catches one of the club members, a guy with blonde hair parted in the middle, sharp eyes, as well as a sharp nose, behind the table looking directly at her. Catching Isabelle's gaze, the guy breaks out in a friendly grin, catching her off guard. Wow, he has a really- like, really nice smile... She keeps a straight face and looks away though. She doesn't give her smiles away that easily...and also, she might just be a tad bit creeped out by this guy, no matter how *cough* cute he may or may not be...

"I'm a Biology major, Dad," Isabelle reminds him.

Mr. Yoon shrugs. "Doesn't mean you can't have other interests."

"Ah, what about that one?" Mrs. Yoon asks in English, gesturing to another table. "French Club, how lovely~ Maybe you could be president or something- you know, take on a leadership role."

Isabelle holds back a sigh. "Mom, Dad- I'm in university, okay? Not to mention, I'm already 21. I appreciate you guys accompanying me to Korea and orientation, but I'll be fine, really. I'll find things to do that I'm actually interested in. I can take care of myself. I'll be completely fine."

Mr. and Mrs. Yoon exchange frowns before rapidly spewing their worries to Isabelle in a mix of French and English, their native/most comfortable tongues respectively. Isabelle resists the urge to sigh at what they're saying, but crosses her arms tightly across her chest and turns away from her frantic parents. I mean I love them and I know they mean well, but God, this is just overwhelming. Just...let me take care of myself. I can do this... Isabelle's parents watch disappointedly as she walks away.

"It's just that after what happened, I can't help but worry about her," Mrs. Yoon says to her husband.
"I know, I know," Mr. Yoon rubs his wife's back. "Same for me. I just don't know what's going on in her head and if she's really okay."
"I don't know if, perhaps, we've done something wrong that she won't open up to us..." Mrs. Yoon says softly. "Have we?"

Mr. Yoon purses his lips and is about to walk his wife to where their daughter had stopped a little ways away to wait for them, when a young man with sharp eyes and blonde, floppy hair steps in front of them.

"Bonjour," he greets with a friendly smile.

Mr. Yoon raises his eyebrows at him in surprise and greets him back. "You speak French?"

"I learned a little bit while attending school in Canada," the young man responds in broken French.
"Canada!" Mrs. Yoon exclaims in English. "Where about in Canada?"
"I'm from Toronto," he answers, switching to English.
"That's my hometown!" Mrs. Yoon beams. "We live in Montreal though."
"Which is my hometown," Mr. Yoon remarks in his French-Canadian accented English. "Nice to meet a fellow Canadian here. What's your name, son?"
"My name's Brian- uh," the young man quickly bows and switches to Korean, "Kang Young Hyun-irago hamnida. (Literally, 'I'm called Younghyun Kang')"
"Ah, that's okay~" Mr. Yoon waves off Brian's gesture. "We're both CBKs; Korean is basically our second language."
"Ah." Brian stands straight with a grin and holds his hand out to shake. "Nice to meet you, sir."
"Aaron Yoon." Mr. Yoon shakes Brian's hand. "Call me whatever's comfortable for you- well, anything but ahjussi. This is my wife Rachel."
"Mr. Yoon," Brian addresses him with a smile and then turns to shake Mrs. Yoon's hand. "Mrs. Yoon."
"Such a well-mannered young man!" Mrs. Yoon smiles warmly.
"Did you two come to visit campus with your daughter?" Brian asks.
"Yeah, how'd you know?" Mr. Yoon looks around for his daughter before calling out, "Izzy, come over here!"

Brian looks over his shoulder to see a girl with a blank, somewhat annoyed face slowly, but surely making her way over and he smiles to himself.

"Our Izzy- Isabelle just transferred here," Mrs. Yoon informs him quietly. "This would have been her last year of uni, but she's starting her third year right now. What about you, Brian?"
"I'm actually in the same boat," Brian says sheepishly. "Had I been on track, I would have graduated by now, but I'm currently in my third year also."
"What are you studying?" Mr. Yoon asks curiously.
"Business Management," Brian answers, gesturing at the club table behind him. "I get extra credit from a professor I know for tabling during orientation."
"Nice." Mr. Yoon nods, impressed.
"Izzy, finally you made it back." Mrs. Yoon reaches out for her daughter and wraps an arm around her shoulder. "Brian, this is our daughter, Isabelle."

Without even looking him in the face, Isabelle bows and mutters the Korean greeting, internally sighing. Brian bows and greets her back in Korean.

"Our daughter's more Korean than we are," Mrs. Yoon states with a smile.

Brian nods, amused. Isabelle finally gets a good look at the boy who had approached her parents (and wasted their time *cough*), and she widens her eyes. It's him- the creeper from the Business Club or whatever.

"Hi, I'm Brian," Creeper says with that...extremely attractive smile of his...
"Isabelle." Isabelle presses her lips together in a tight-lipped "smile," revealing her dimple nonetheless.
"Nice to meet you." Brian beams, his face brighter than a million suns, honestly.
"Oh, hey, Brian," Mr. Yoon says as if remembering something. "Do you have any plans for lunch?"
"No, I was just about to go get something to-go and bring it back to the table," Brian answers.

Mrs. Yoon claps her hands excitedly. "Why don't you join us? Let's eat together and you can tell our Izzy all about the school."

"Wh-" Isabelle begins with a frown.
"Sure, sounds good," Brian agrees readily.

Isabelle whips her head as she raises her eyebrows at this random guy barging in to her life, like what the heck? She's going to glare at Brian, but then he smiles at her and she feels her defenses fall- or rather, trip over themselves and stay plastered to the ground... Dang it, what is this guy? Isabelle settles for a frown and crosses her arms.

"Do you have any preference?" Mr

Please log in to read the full chapter