I-Z-Z-Y

You (태양처럼)
Please log in to read the full chapter

IT'S already the last day of the first week of school and Brian hasn't seen Isabelle at all around campus. And although he does know where she lives, he wasn't about to be a creepy stalker...no matter how much I want to- uh, what? He's sitting on his friend's bike with his group of friends, just hanging around before their classes, when they dare him to do a trick in the courtyard. He doesn't know how to do any, but...

"Psh, easy money," Brian scoffs confidently. "Watch this."

Brian pedals away from them and is about to attempt the bunny hop when someone catches his eye. He locks eyes with none other than Isabelle, but before he can even flash his signature grin, he somehow swerves and crashes to the ground. Isabelle's eyes widen as she can't believe what just occurred, having watched the whole scene in slow motion- from noticing Brian on his bike to when their eyes locked to the dangerous lean of the bike and then the moment when his body landed on the pavement.

"Ow, !" Brian cries out in pain.

Oh my God. Was that- did he get distracted..by me? Crap, what? Who does that? Should I just keep walking? Is he alright though? Isabelle takes one glance at Brian sitting up on the ground and contemplates going to him before deciding against it and just continuing to walk.

", bro!" Isabelle hears someone yell in English. "That was gnarly!"
"What did you want us to watch?!" Someone else asks in satoori. "You eating ?! But damn, my bike..."

They help him move the bike to the side. His friends extend their hands out to Brian to help him up, but he shakes his head in refusal, needing a moment to recover from the pain and shock.

"Nah, man. Show you guys how heartless some people can be," Brian raises his voice purposely so a certain someone can hear. "Damn, and she's still walking..."

Isabelle pauses in guilt and shuts her eyes tightly. Do I have to? I mean, he might actually be hurt though...that was a nasty fall...and it just might have been partially my fault he got distracted. Wow, that sounds so egotistical...but he was staring right at me before he crashed.. 

"What?" "Who, man?" "Delusional, much?" "Maybe he got a concussion.." Brian's friends look around.
"Yo, but are you going to stay on the ground the whole time?"

Brian's eyes widen in excitement. "Shh, she's coming, she's coming."

Brian's friends all turn to look for this mystery girl and see Isabelle making her way over toward them. They raise their eyebrows and exchange looks and nudges with each other.

"Hey, Izzy," Brian greets brightly from where he's sitting on the floor, his knees showing bloody through the large holes in his jeans and hands and arms scratched up.

Isabelle's eyebrows furrow in concern. "Are you, uh, okay?"

"I'm better now that you're here," Brian answers genuinely with that grin of his.

Isabelle makes a face. Okay, maybe I should have just walked off. Slightly regretting this decision...

"Ew, bro," Brian's English-speaking friend with large spectacles on his face groans before switching to Korean. "Who knew you'd be the greasy type around girls?"

Brian's other friends all raise their hands, unsurprised.

"What?" The English-speaking Chicken Little in human form looks around at their friends. "Oh...y'all right though."
"Um, well, seeing that you're ok-" Isabelle glances at Brian's wounds and clears . "Seeing that you have many friends here to take care of you, I'm going to head off to class. Bye~"

Isabelle takes a step to leave.

"Wait!" Brian calls out.
"A little thirsty are we, brother?" A babyface amongst Brian's friends mutters, earning him a couple snickers and fist bumps.
"Don't you think you should be the one helping me?" Brian asks. "You are the reason I fell in the first place."

A dorky looking guy whistles with the hugest smile she's ever seen. "You ate for her?"

"Was this planned?"
"Like in those dramas??" A deep voice coming from the youngest and most naive-looking one asks in awe (and satoori).
"Smooth, bro."

Isabelle blows out a breath and walks back to Brian, who now has a satisfied smirk on his lips. This guy better not try anything funny or I'll smack that smirk off his face. Dang it, why am I regretting this decision already?

"You guys can go to class now," Brian tells his friends.
"But we should help-"
"Nah, Izzy here's got me," Brian denies.
"Wait, I want to meet her first!" Chicken Little says excitedly. "Hi there! Izzy, is it? I'm Jae."

Isabelle forces a tight-lipped smile. "Isabelle."

"I'm Sungjin!" The bike's owner with the satoori introduces himself with a friendly wave. "Do you have a Korean name by chance?"
"Ne, Yoon Yi Jin imnida." Isabelle bows stiffly, not allowing herself to be rude.
"Ah, Yijin-ssi~" The guys all repeat and nod with interest, especially Brian.
"Hi, I'm Junhyuk," the babyfaced one says with a bright smile.
"Wonpil," the sort of dorky-looking, but actually quite cute guy states with a close-lipped smile, further accentuating his dorky demeanor.
"Dowoon imnida." The last one with the deep, bellowing satoori, who also looks kind of lost in his own world, bows.
"Okay, you guys can leave now," Brian shoos them off.
"Nice meeting you, Izzy- er, Isabelle!" Jae waves. "Good luck with this guy!"
"Hwaiting!" Sungjin pumps his fist before picking up his bike from the ground. "Bye~ Hope to see you again, Yijin-ssi!"

The rest of them smile and wave as well and then they all run off. Isabelle sighs and bites her lip as she looks down at Brian who has yet to get up from the ground.

"Does it hurt badly?" Isabelle asks hesitantly. "Can you get up?"

Brian plants his palms on the ground and winces before slowly pulling himself up. He limps on one foot, finding his balance before lightly brushing his hands off.

"Those wounds look pretty deep." Isabelle frowns as she eyes Brian's bloody knees, soaking into the fabric of his jeans. "We should take you to the hospital to make sure your wounds get the proper treatment so they don't get infected."

Isabelle takes out her phone and searches for the nearest hospital on Naver. Brian smiles and Isabelle catches it when she looks up.

"What?" Isabelle scowls.
"I knew you weren't heartless," Brian states with a smirk.

Isabelle rolls her eyes and starts walking. Brian limps after her.

"I knew it," Brian says victoriously. "Especially from what you did for the halmoni that day; you're obviously a kind and caring person."
"I'm missing an important class for you," Isabelle says monotonously. "The least you can do is be quiet."

Brian "zips" his lips with his fingers...but the silence doesn't last long.

"I mean, you're like really, really caring. And the way you treated that halmoni yesterday with the utmost kindness and respect?" Brian raises his eyebrows as if still surprised. "Yo, and the way you smiled at her? But damn, that smile of yours, by the way-"

Isabelle i

Please log in to read the full chapter