Jimin makes Jam

Finding Jimin's Jam.

“Today, they’re doing a special with an ARMY fan that won a competition. You’ll be making jam with San, Jimin. Are you okay with that?” Jimin looks over his shoulder at the timid but coolly chic girl his age standing behind a counter in a pink and white apron.

“What competition did she win?” Jimin asks Jungkook who’s affirming a coordi noona to touch up on Jimin’s makeup.

“A dance competition. It was quite impressive. She knew almost all V hyung’s dance moves!” Jimin looks at Jungkook.

“Hyung? How old are you?” Jungkook laughs for the first time, scratching the back of his greasy hair.

“I’m quite young. 1997, September 1st, actually.” Jimin raises an eyebrow.

“It’s coming up soon.”

“Y-Yeah.” Jimin wonders why Jungkook’s always so timid. “Well, we’re airing in 10 minutes. You better head over there. Just remember, all the directions are on the table so please just make sure to read if anything goes wrong.” Jimin walks towards the girl who is now bent over tying her shoes. Jimin, not seeing this, trips over your back and accidentally slides across the table, dropping the ‘making of the jam instructions’ into a trashcan nearby.

“I’m so sorry!” You and Jimin frantically apologize, simultaneously. Then, you and Jimin’s eyes meet for the first time and a small smile spreads out across you and Jimin’s face; You two start laughing.

“I’m Jimin.” Jimin says, sticking out his hand.

“I know. I’m San. It’s a pleasure to meet you!” Your grip is firm but sweet. Jimin looks over at her from the corner of his eyes and when you catch him staring at you, you give off a bright smile in which Jimin returns, fully.

“Let’s make some great jam!” Jimin cheers.

“I’m looking forward to it!” The camera counts down 3, 2, 1.

Jimin picks up the cue card and starts flawlessly reciting, “Welcome to Finding Jimin’s Jam. Yes, today is the day that ARMY finally gets to experience me find my jam and eat it as well. Say, San, have you ever had any experience in making jams?”

You recite from your cue card. “I can honestly say that I have not, Jimin. However, I did hear that if you put jalapenos in strawberry jam, it does add a little kick.”

“Well, shall we get to it?” Jimin smiles into the camera. He looks down unto the counter looking for the recipe but it’s nowhere in sight.

“Is there a problem?” You ask, cautiously.

“No.” Jimin’s frantic eyes stare into yours in shock. “You said jalapenos add a little kick? Let’s start by chopping these up! San, will you do the honor?” You notice panic in Jimin’s eyes but just play along due to the live broadcast.

“It will be my honor.” Jimin grabs the container full of ripe strawberries.

“And I will start by cooking these beautifully colored strawberries which my hair!” He smiles brightly into the camera while dumping the fruit into a huge silver pot.

“And what else adds to that sweetness besides you, Jimin?” You almost gag reading the cue cards.

“A bit of Suga, of course! But unfortunately, he’s not here with us today. So, I guess a cup of white granulate sugar would do.” Jimin opens a new bag and, without measuring it, pours the avalanching white power into the steaming pot. “Eyeballing it is good enough!” You stare at him send a cheesy but adorable wink at the recording camera so nonchalantly. “Does jams not need any liquid?”

You adjust your white chef hat on the top of your hair as you ponder. “I think it does.” You see a can of coconut water on the counter. “What about this, Jimin?”

He gives you a cooing look of approval as he casually tosses away the cue cards we've been following.  

“Yes! Coconut water is not only good for when you’re stranded on an island alone—but it’s an excellent source of nutrition and helps you digest faster!” You pour a dash of the clear liquid with chucks of white coconut into the recipe.

“How are those jalapenos coming along, Chef San?” Jimin takes a peek from behind your shoulders.

“Should I add in the jalapenos now, Chef Jimin?” Jimin does a little spin and splashes the thick red goo with sprinkles of the spicy jalapeno pepper seeds.

“I was observing our very handsome Jin hyung bake cookies the other day, and he added a dash of salt.” Jimin grabs a bottle of soy sauce. “But I couldn’t find any salt in this kitchen so we’ll be adding—“ You attempt to grab the black liquid bottle from out of his hands; accidentally, the bottle slips and falls into the pot, spilling more than enough soy sauce into the concoction. You and Jimin stare at each, eyes widen. Then, both of you guys stare into the camera and put on the best false smiles.

“Mmm~” Both of you guys deliciously hum; you never knew you were so in sync with Jimin.

“Let’s just let that simmer for about—“ Jimin pretends to look at the watch and say, “until it’s ready!” You “magically” dish out a premade strawberry jam from the over underneath.

“Taadaa!” You and Jimin both chime.

“Our strawberry jam is ready!” Jimin applies the perfectly glistening jam unto a white bread, giving you one and keeping one to himself. You sling around your right arm around his and take a bite from your jam like a newlywed couple; it’s a cheesy action this particular cooking show always ended with. You predict this show going out of business within the next month.

You notice the cue card you've left on the side slowly blowing steam from being too close to the fire. You pick it up and shrug Jimin to read what's on the cue card. “This has been our segment of ‘Finding Jimin’s Jam’,” You and Jimin both recite, brutally smiling-- perfectly in sync. 

“And cut!” the director shouts. The crew scatters busily, trying to clean up and fix everything that went wrong.

“Soy sauce?” You growl, looking at Jimin.

“It’s true! I saw Jin hyung baking cookies the other day and—“ You scoop a ladleful of the rock hard bloody red jam.

“I dare you to try some,” You deviously smirk, offering him the ladle to his mouth. Jimin’s half broken smile appears as he backs off slowly. “Come on, aren’t you curious to taste what it’s like?” He grabs unto your hand to stop you from shoving the intoxicating poison unto his face. He shoves it towards your mouth.  

“Hah Only if you do!” He says, staggering. You grab unto a wooden spoon near by and scoop another heaping dollop.

“Shall we?” You snicker as you and Jimin once again wrap each other’s arms around one another to take a mouthful of the deliciously made concoction. You feel a sudden overwhelming sweetness the moment the jam hits your lips. There’s a tanginess of the coconut water restraining the sweetness from being too much. The soy sauce does add a nice complimentary, leaving a lingering saltiness and sweetness to envelop your liven taste buds; but the seeds of the jalapeno slowly but gradually traveling down your sensitively narrow esophagus sparks a fire inside of you that you’ve never felt before. It starts from the back of your throat to the tight clenching of your heart to the pit of your bitter stomach down to your painted pink toes where you start feeling lightweight. The vision of the white kitchen with the bloody red jam starts to blur as you notice there are at least three Jimins moving about in front of you—acting the way you think you are; slowly falling. Your breathing shallows and leaves breathlessly as you and Jimin both simultaneously hit the white marble floors of the kitchen, out.