Settling

Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jin and Namjoon left the police station glued to one another's sides the next evening after the human's shift at the hospital. The two were feeling simultaneously relieved and unsettled after their followup on recent (and not-so-recent) events, but they didn't want to speak about it until they could all talk as a 'family' to work it out.

While they walked to the car, Namjoon called Yoongi and had to wait until the last ring for the older man to pick up the phone (which was not uncommon at all).

Back at home, the other five were working on dinner- an easy stir-fry with vegetables, meat, and noodles. It was more of a bonding experience than anything else, as having five people in the kitchen working on one meal can't be the most productive method. It wasn't as loud or energetic as it might have usually been, but it wasn't uncomfortable at all. Hoseok and Yoongi were in charge of anything involving the knives, Jungkook was working on cooking the ingredients in the largest pan they owned, Taehyung was preparing the noodles, and Jimin sat on the counter providing all of the ingredients and spices requested (he had to keep reminding himself to keep his tail still so it didn't mess up everything on the counter around him). Jungkook had him adding soy sauce to the pan in small amounts while he mixed it in, and the teamwork the two were displaying in something so simple filled Yoongi's empty heart with happiness and hope.

The two had gotten along excellently since the incident, almost attached at the hip during the daytime, but they didn't talk about what happened. They simply went about their daily lives side by side.

The human was snapped out of his musing when he heard his phone ringing on the counter behind him. He quickly put down the knife and washed his hands before picking it up and stepping away.

"Hello?" Yoongi replied.

"Hey hyung, we're on our way back now. Do you need us to pick up dinner?" Namjoon asked, unlocking the car and hopping into the driver's seat.

"Oh good! No, we're making dinner. We'll go ahead and set the table now, so we will be ready to eat when you get home." 

"Alright, thanks. Be home in a few."

The two hung up, and Yoongi started wondering what went down at the station. Nothing in Namjoon's voice gave away his feelings about the situation, which didn't necessarily mean that things had gone wrong, so Yoongi tried to stay positive. They had just gone to give statements and identify the man who had attacked Jungkook. Yoongi didn't want his own hybrid to have to deal with that, so Jin went in his place for which both Yoongi and Jungkook were very grateful. Yoongi did not know the man's motives for trying to steal Jungkook from him, but he wasn't sure knowing why would do them any favors anyway.

With a sigh, Yoongi returned to the group. "Jiminie, could you please hand me some plates from the cabinet to your left?" he requested kindly.

Jimin looked reluctant to release his hold on the bottle of soy sauce in his lap in case Jungkook decided he wanted more, but he eventually nodded obediently and reached into the cabinet by his head, passing Yoongi plates one by one very carefully so he wouldn't drop and break any. He counted them slowly under his breath as they stacked up in the human's arms, which made Yoongi smile softly. "Thank you Jimin," he praised once they reached seven. "You're so helpful."

Jimin's ears perked up as he picked the bottle of sauce back up from the counter even though Jungkook was already moving the pan off of the burner. Taehyung immediately took it upon himself to mix in the noodles. Yoongi and Jin went about setting out glasses of water and utensils while Jungkook stayed by the stove resting his elbow on Jimin's knee while he watched the rest of them prepare the table. Yoongi set out a pot holder before beckoning Taehyung over with the food. Jungkook's eyes followed all the action in the room lazily with his tail swishing contentedly, while Jimin was distracting himself by pressing down the edges of the label on the bottle in his hands somewhat anxiously.

Everything was laid out perfectly, glasses filled with crystal clear water and steam was rising steadily from the fresh plate of stir-fry in the center of the table. Hoseok absentmindedly pinched Taehyung's cheek and Jungkook and Jimin were making shy eye contact. Yoongi wasn't usually one for domesticity- he thrived on spontaneity and taking things one step at a time. However, he felt that he could really get used to this kind of set-up. It encouraged him to approach his work in a more healthy manner and while he certainly took on a lot more responsibility within the apartment, he didn't see it as inherently stressful or disruptive to his regular life. He loved seeing Jungkook make a new friend into a potential confidant for completely selfless reasons, and he truly felt himself becoming more mature as the days progressed.

He only hoped that things would continue in a similar way even when the next semester began at their university. It didn't have to be exactly the same- in fact, he knew it wouldn't be- but he hoped at least for the same sense of security and completion that he felt now despite recent events.

"Let's get you over to the table," Yoongi spoke to Jimin, snapping himself out of his own daydreams. He reached over to the corner by the fridge where Jimin's crutch was resting against the wall and handed it to the hybrid before helping him down from the countertop. Jungkook looked a little miffed at losing his armrest, but he recovered quickly enough to sit himself at the table and pull out the chair beside him expectantly.

Jimin hobbled across the room with little help from his dragging crutch and dropped himself none too gracefully into the offered chair. Even simple actions like this warmed Yoongi's heart- more than just because Jungkook was showing affection to someone other than the rest of their small group. Jimin allowed himself to express discomfort and didn't feel the need to walk on his toes and make no noise in their apartment anymore. The way Taehyung comfortably launched himself into the seat on Jimin's other side was just further proof of their newly integrated family.

The two humans took their place at the table as soon as they heard the front door opening and two sets of footsteps shuffling inside. Hoseok called out a greeting, but the two new arrivals didn't respond until they were dressed out of their winter clothes and coming to the kitchen to join the rest for dinner.

"Hey," Jin said tiredly but with a content smile. His ears were still rearranging themselves from when he took off his winter hat at the door as he took one of the empty seats. Namjoon groaned in desire at the prospect of a nice hot meal after such a long day, sitting down last. "Go ahead guys, don't wait for me."

Hoseok reached forward at that, filling up Taehyung's plate first (much to his pleasure, if the wagging tail was any indication), followed by Namjoon's, Jin's, Jungkook's, Jimin's, Yoongi's, and then his own.

"Thank you for cooking," Jin said right before stuffing a massive bite into his mouth.

"It's no problem," Hoseok laughed, looking around the table one last time before beginning to eat. It was fairly quiet during the meal; there wasn't much to s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter