Overwhelming

Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Namjoon gave Jimin some alone time to cool down in his room before talking to him about what had happened earlier in the waiting room at the doctor's office. The human stayed in the living room with Jin in the meantime. He'd briefed his hybrid on Jimin's physical condition and made sure to include that Jimin was recovering very well.

"So where is he now?" Jin asked, confused. He'd come out of his bedroom when he heard Namjoon return home but he must have missed Jimin.

"His room. I think he's upset," Namjoon replied (sounding equally confused). 

"What? Why?" Seokjin frowned, making to stand up but Namjoon stopped him with a hand. "I don't know but I'm just going to leave him be for a bit. He was kind of antsy when the doctor was checking him out. Actually, he was just off the whole trip. Growled at someone in the waiting room and scared the poor kid."

Seokjin sat back down and furrowed his eyebrows. "What'd you do about it?" 

"Just... Took him out of the room. I don't know, I didn't know if he'd try to attack him or something. It could have happened."

It was quiet for a bit and Seokjin took in the news slowly, tilting his head to the side as he thought. Could it really have happened? It was hard to think that their cute little friend would be capable of hurting another living being, but given his past, Jin realized that it truly could be a possibility. Jin thought that it sounded insulting to have to take extra precations to make sure Jimin didn't snap and attack someone, but was it truly offensive if it was a true concern? They had a valid reason to fear such an extreme reaction. 

"Maybe..." the hybrid speculated. "Well, maybe he just needs to get out more. Maybe he needs to see how we interact with other people and hybrids so he can have... I don't know, a good example? Really the only time he leaves the apartment is when he goes to the park with Hoseok and Tae."

Namjoon nodded pensively. It was a good idea but he was a little concerned with actually executing it. He had no idea how to restrain a hybrid, especially one who was obviously much stronger than him. What if things got out of hand? They didn't even have identification on him yet (Namjoon was a little worried about the reaction he'd get from the proposition of a collar or even a wrist band).

"We could just take him shopping today. Super easy," Jin suggested. "We can all go once Hoseok gets home from work. What do you think?"

"I guess," Namjoon sighed. "I just... I don't know, can you go talk to him? He really doesn't seem to like me."

Namjoon sounded so genuinely upset about it that Seokjin couldn't just leave his owner alone right now to confront the new hybrid about his idea no matter how excited he was about it. "I'm sure he doesn't hate you. It has to be a misunderstanding." 

"I mean, it's been weeks and that's what I've been telling myself, but why does he call everyone else 'hyung' but me? Any time I look at him differently, he goes right back to 'sir' and avoiding my eyes. It's driving me crazy- am I doing something wrong?"

Seokjin's frown deepened as he scooted closer to his owner on the couch. He knew that no matter how much Namjoon pretended that he didn't care, he was deeply hurt by the fact that Jimin wasn't accepting him the same way he did the rest of their group. Maybe he was hesitant to adopt him at first, but that doesn't mean that he felt any less love for their new hybrid. "You might not have a lot in common," Seokjin added. "You know, Yoongi lets him listen to music, Tae watched tv with him, Hoseok takes him to the park, and you're hardly ever here but when you are, you're the one that's always giving him his medicine, making sure he eats, and taking him to the doctor. You know what?" Seokjin got a mischievous glint in his eye. "You should take him out shopping today, just the two of you. Spend some quality time with him doing something carefree for once."

Namjoon's eyes got wide. "Uh-- no thanks. That's okay. Why don't you come with us?"

"I don't want him to use me as a fall-back. This way, he has to talk to you. Just go talk to him, dammit!" Jin stood and pulled his owner with him, shoving him in the direction of Jimin's room.

"Fine! Ugh, you're insufferable," he groaned in feigned annoyance (maybe apprehension, but never real anger). He dusted himself off to buy some time but he noticed by the way that Jin rolled his eyes that he wasn't fooled. 

Moments later, he found himself knocking on the young hybrid's bedroom door.

"Yes?" 

He could hardly hear the mumbled reply from inside the room. Namjoon cracked open the door. "Hey, can I come in?" He heard the ruffled noise of movement against the bed more than he saw the slight nod. "Okay. Um. So I guess I just wanted to check up on you. So. I mean. Are you okay?" Namjoon rolled his eyes at his own lack of rhetoric.

Jimin sat up slowly, looking at the human in a confused manner. He pulled the teddy bear into his lap as he looked up and nodded again.

"You sure? Okay. Because, well.. I mean, you just seemed... off earlier. Uncomfortable, you know? Just wanted to make sure that you were feeling okay." 

When Jimin nodded slowly once again, narrowing his eyes warily, Namjoon gulped. The hard part.

"Good. I'm glad. I was wondering if... 'cause, you know, it's almost Christmas and all, if you wanted to come shopping with me today. We could, um... buy presents and maybe... get ice cream or something- I don't know. I haven't... planned it all out."

But the park, Jimin wanted to say. My routine.

"Um. Okay. What presents?"

"Just... presents for everyone. I haven't gotten anything for Jin yet, so I thought maybe you'd like to help me pick something out. Maybe I can find you some nice new clothes too. Who knows." He was getting words out of his mouth, and that had to count for something. Maybe he didn't sound quite so graceful, but when did he ever.

"You've never gotten Jin-hyung a present?" Jimin asked, cocking his head to the side, seeming to relax a bit as soon as he realized that Namjoon wasn't angry with him.

Namjoon laughed shortly. "Ah, of course I have. I just haven't gotten his Christmas present yet. I- uh, saw him looking at this cute apron last month- it had lemons on it- and I was thinking about seeing if it was still in stock. Thought it'd be cute."

Jimin was quiet as he watched Namjoon talk with furrowed brows.

"So. How about it?"

"Okay." But I was supposed to go to the park with Hoseok-hyung and Tae. Who will tell them that I'm gone? What about the routine?

"Awesome," Namjoon grinned. "Are you ready to go now or do you want some more time? We can get lunch while we're out if you want."

Jimin swallows and nods, pushing himself off the bed and following Namjoon to the door with one hand closed around one of his teddy bear's arms. He continues following the human all the way to the front hall, where he has to let go of the bear to put his shoes back on. Once he's finished, he picks the toy back up and waits for Namjoon to finish putting on his own shoes. He catches the sight of Jin in the living room.

"Going out?" he asks, sending a wink to his owner. He hands them both jackets and scarves, adding in a soft beanie for Jimin to keep his head warm so he doesn't get sick again so soon after recovering.

"Yup," Namjoon sighed. "Getting some Christmas shopping in."

Jin smiled proudly.

Once they'd closed the door to their apartment behind them, Jimin got the courage to ask a simple question he'd been wondering about. "What... Um, what is the difference between shopping and Christmas present shopping?" He didn't look Namjoon in the eye, but instead at the closed elevator doors in front of them.

Namjoon chuckled a little, unsure if he was being serious or not. "Well... Christmas shopping is done at Christmas-time... and regular shopping is any other time of the year...?"

Jimin frowned. "Does Christmas mean the same thing as winter? Jin-hyung told me it's winter now. When it snows, then it's winter."

Namjoon's eyes widened. So it's not that he doesn't know what Christmas shopping is, it's that he doesn't know what Christmas is at all... "Chri-Christmas is a holiday, Jimin. Like... Like your birthday, except lots of people celebrate it, not just you and your friends."

"So it's like a big birthday party? Who's it for?" (He knows what a birthday party is thank you very much; Taehyung told him they'd give him one next year)

"We can get into the politics of that later."

"The what?"

"Nevermind, Jimin."

He makes the hybrid hold his hand when they exit the apartment building. He doesn't want him to get lost in the heavy crowd, which is exactly what he told Jimin when asked.

Jimin was more than a little nervous about how there just seemed to be more and more people the fart

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter