Exposure

Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I thought maybe I'd... feel better... in here."

Jimin blinked, watching the younger hybrid cautiously. He felt a strong tug on his heart seeing Jungkook so vulnerable but still trying to appear strong. Jimin couldn't help but relate on some level. Did he look like that whenever he discreetly angled his head towards one of the humans in hopes that they'd start petting him without him even having to ask?

He couldn't refuse.

Jimin wordlessly reached over and pulled the blanket down on the open side of the bed as an invitation that the younger took gratefully. He heard Jungkook sigh softly as he slid his socked feet across the wood floor to reach Jimin's bed before tentatively climbing in.

"Thank you, hyung. I really appreciate it."

Jimin's eyes were used to the darkness in the room since he'd been laying in there for so long, so he could clearly see the dark blush covering Jungkook's face and neck. He knew that Taehyung liked to tease Jungkook a lot about these rare moments where he'd express his emotions without his usual facade (something about "cracking that bad-boy exterior" - Taehyung's words), but Jimin wouldn't dare capitalize on a moment like this. This isn't like those times that the youngest hybrid gets too invested in a drama they're all watching and doesn't realize his facial expressions are reflecting his worry for the main character.

Jimin understands what it's like to feel helpless and ashamed of your own feelings. However, he's never been the person that people turn to for help or comfort.

"It's okay," Jimin insisted. He may not be the best at consoling people, but he knew he'd like the same consideration--to be reassured that he wasn't causing anyone any trouble. He turned his head to the side on his fluffy pillow to watch as Jungkook got situated in the bed beside him. This felt weird to Jimin--this is his first time with a room to himself. Clearly, he had slept around other people before, but never in this context. Sometimes he and the other hybrids his masters owned would have to share the same floor space at night, but it was an unspoken rule that there was no speaking and no coming in physical contact with one another. He's spent many nights laying as straight as a board even in his sleep with others mere centimeters away from him doing exactly the same.

This time, it was silent for maybe only 30 seconds before Jungkook had his side to face Jimin, slipping his hand across the sheets to brush his fingers against Jimin's arm with a whispered "Is this okay?"

Jimin nodded; he was sure Jungkook heard the sound of movement against his pillow (and he was pretty sure Jin mentioned to him once that feline hybrids aren't quite as hindered by the dark as humans or other breeds). He didn't dare budge because it must have taken a colossal amount of courage for Jungkook to have made that gesture, so he laid still--though not quite uncomfortable--with Jungkook's hand resting on the bed beside him so that his knuckles were pressed lightly to the jut of Jimin's shoulder. 

 

He doesn't remember falling asleep, but he must have because he woke up to the sound of a loud snore. Jimin only panicked for a split second before remembering he wasn't alone. He glanced over to see Jungkook sleeping soundly on his back. The younger had shifted around a bit in his sleep, as he was now hugging his own hands close to his body.

Jimin laid there for a while with nothing but an empty mind to entertain him. He took it as a moment to take inventory of himself. His mouth felt dry and hot, and his whole body ached. He was sweating under the thick blankets, but moving was too uncomfortable. 

He wanted to know the time. He wouldn't be able to read the numbers on his phone, and the meager sunlight filtering in through the thick window curtain couldn't be any kind of indication since it was already early morning by the time he'd come home. Jimin bit his lip and turned his head to the side, mindlessly pressing the home button on his phone in hopes that he'd miraculously gained the ability to decipher the meaning of the characters overnight.

The feeling of the heaviness in his limbs and the stuffiness in his chest wasn't at all new to the hybrid, but it wasn't pleasant either way. It was difficult to tell if he'd slept for 12 hours or 12 minutes. Sniffling, Jimin pushed himself up on his elbows, squinting at the head rush that came with the action. He suddenly regretted not accepting Jin's offer for some water before he went to sleep... 

Thinking of his hyung, Jimin thought to get up and go find him until he remembered his ankle. Namjoon wouldn't be pleased with him if he walked around like this, would he? As soon as Jimin thought of the human, his cheeks flushed heavily in embarrassment as he recalled the events from the previous night. Part of Jimin wanted to forget that it had ever happened--the whole running away and then crying all over the human thing--but an even bigger part of him was still craving the comfort he was provided last night. 

He knew he shouldn't be embarrassed about asking for help; he'd seen the others do it all the time. He still didn't know how to properly handle his emotions, and he did want to learn how to read eventually. Despite their efforts towards inclusion, part of him still felt a little left out of the group, especially since he hadn't been here nearly as long as the others. 

Jimin couldn't stand these mixed feelings; one moment, he felt overwhelmed with love in the way that everyone wanted him to come back home, and the very next, he was feeling lonelier than he ever had. He had no idea what was causing these feelings, but it was very stressful for the young hybrid who never learned how to feel things the way others do.

A soft snore jolted Jimin out of his headspace, and he looked over at Jungkook still sleeping deeply on the other side of the bed. Jimin knew that it was rude to wake someone else up, but maybe...

"J-Jungkook..." he called softly, reaching out to poke the younger's shoulder a couple times. He wasn't entirely sure why he wanted the other awake, but it was probably just because he was tired of laying here silently without being able to stand up. Jimin whined softly in the back of his throat when Jungkook didn't budge.

"Please..." he whispered. Jimin felt sad, lonely, sick, and bored, and he didn't want to stay laying here in bed silently until someone came to check on him.

When Jungkook began stirring in his sleep, Jimin felt a bit guilty about waking him up, but he'd rather the other be angry with him than have to sit there another hour drowning in his thoughts. Jimin kept prodding at Jungkook's arm and torso until his eyes opened and stared over at the older.

"Morning..." the cat hybrid mumbled, barely moving his lips before opening his mouth into a huge yawn. The older watched silently as Jungkook shook his head a bit to wake himself up, ears flicking randomly. Jimin almost wanted to smile at how normal everything seemed despite his ovious unfamiliarity with the situation; he liked not waking up alone. "Um, sorry about... last night," Jungkook stammered in a quiet tone.

"I'm hungry," Jimin blurted with a hoarse voice; he didn't want the younger to feel uncomfortable about anything that had happened, or start to regret coming to see him last night.

Jungkook looked a little surprised about the declaration. "Oh, okay." He sat up slowly. "I'll go see... if anyone else is awake, I guess." He began to remove the blankets and scoot towards the end of the bed when Jimin spoke up again.

"What time is it?" he asked quietly.

The younger patted down his body, looking down and then towards the bedside table. "Sorry, I don't have my phone on me."

Jimin obediently handed Jungkook his own. The younger gave him an odd look, but then turned his attention towards the glowing screen. "It's... almost 14:30. Wow. Okay. I'm going to see if someone made lunch. I'll be... right back." Jungkook tossed Jimin's phone back onto the bed and stood up.

Jimin watched him go quietly. He tried to sit up a little, but his head started spinning and it felt like something was squeezing his brain, so he obediently laid back down against the pillow with a pout. Picking boredly at the edges of the top blanket draped over his body, he waited for someone to come get him. Jimin definitely didn't like this lack of independence.

Only a few moments later, there was a light knock at his door that was left slightly ajar before Jin was poking his head through. "Hello Jiminie," he called in a soothing tone. "Jungkook tells me you're feeling hungry?"

Jimin nodded, fixing his blank stare towards the older cat hybrid. His ears flicked against the pillow in distaste at the icky feelings inside of him. "Hyung, I don't feel very good," Jimin complained quietly.

The elder cooed as he stepped into the room and crossed over to Jimin's side of the bed. Placing the back of his hand against Jimin's forehead, Jin's ears flattened against his head as his expression faltered. "Poor baby, I think you've got a fever. I'll go get some medicine. Would you like me to bring some food too?"

Jimin huffed softly and looked up at Jin almost pathetically. "I don't- I don't want to be in here."

Jin cocked his head to the side. "Would you... like to go to the living room? Tae and I were playing Mario Kart, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind turning the volume down."

The younger hummed and reached out towards Jin, who giggled at the cute neediness being displayed. "I'm a weakling, you should know that. Let me go get Hobi, I bet he'd be happy to carry you."

Jimin watched as he was left alone in his quiet bedroom for the second time that day, whining quietly and waiting quite impatiently this time. It was frustrating, but what could he do? He decided to push the blankets off of himself to be ready when a strong chill ran down his spine, so he pulled the fluffiest one from the stack to wrap around his body.

While he was situating himself properly is the blanket, he heard a cheerful "Good morning, sleepy head!" from the door. Jimin stopped squirming and stayed still for Hoseok to lift him up with an arm under his knees and another around his back. "Where to?" the human asked.

"Couch" Jimin mumbled, holding the edges of the blanket together up near his mouth and muffling his voice.

"I heard you aren't feeling too great," Hoseok said as he walked out of the bedroom with the lump of a hybrid lifted in his arms. "Would you like me to make you some special porridge?"

Jimin's stomach growled halfway through Hoseok's question, causing him to blush furi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter