Regroup

Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As soon as Taehyung and Jungkook heard the door to Jin and Namjoon's bedroom close, they emerged from the kitchen cautiously to find their owners standing silently in the living room amidst the aftermath. The youngest instantly glued himself to Yoongi's side while Taehyung approached Hoseok with a little more caution. 

"What happened?" Taehyung asked with his tail swishing tensely.

"Nothing," Hoseok insisted, reaching out to pull the younger closer. "Really, everything will be fine."

Taehyung nodded slowly, gnawing on his lower lip. "Can we go to the park, hyung?" 

Hoseok took in Taehyung's uneasy expression and agreed instantly. "Of course. Why don't you go pick out a ball to take with us," he suggested, nudging Taehyung in the direction of their bedroom. "Don't forget a coat!"

Yoongi waited until Hoseok had also left the room to find his own jacket to try speaking to Jungkook. "Are you alright?" he asked gently, petting his hybrid between the ears. Jungkook nodded against the older's shoulder where his head was leaning. "Would you like to go lie down? You seem a bit tired."

"I'm not tired, hyung. I slept all day..." Jungkook mumbled. Yoongi hummed and stilled his hand, threading his fingers through the hair on the back of Jungkook's head. "Well how about a nice hot bath?"

"I don't know..."

"Video games?"

"I don't know, hyung. I don't know what I want to do. Nothing seems appealing right now..."

Yoongi frowned, knowing that even when Jungkook is bored, he'll always want to either nap or play a game. His refusal to do either made his heart clench a bit, wondering how his hybrid was truly feeling emotionally after his scary encounter just the night before. "Why don't we go join Hobi and Tae at the park and then we'll come home and wash up. We can play something tonight, just the two of us. Does that sound okay?"

Jungkook sighed, finally lifting his head from the older's shoulder. "I guess," he murmured in a hesitant tone. 

"Let's go- it'll be good to get out of the apartment, I think." When he noticed Hoseok coming back out to the front hall, he caught his attention. "Wait up a minute, Kook and I are going to tag along if that's alright."

"Sure," the human agreed easily. "Everything alright?" he asked, glancing warily at Jungkook when the hybrid looked down.

Yoongi smiled a bit sadly. "Yeah, I think we just need to get some fresh air."

Taehyung came jogging up to them in the next moment, holding out a dirty, ragged tennis ball to his owner. "This one," he said conclusively, and Hoseok wasn't surprised. It was a personal favourite of Taehyung's, though they didn't use it as much anymore; it spent more time on top of the dresser than being tossed between them. "Alright," Hoseok replied, accepting the ball and tucking it into his coat pocket. He inspected his hybrid to make sure he'd be warm enough in his chosen attire and didn't make any other moves until he deemed it appropriate (though he still slung a scarf around the younger's neck on their way out the door).

The two waited in the doorway as Yoongi and Jungkook put on their boots and coats, securing warm hats on each other's heads. Hoseok always loved seeing Yoongi's overtly thoughtful side. The older man was always overflowing with care for his loved ones, but he rarely acted on it in an obvious manner. It was usually subtle things, like letting Jimin sit on his bedroom floor while he worked and tossing the hybrid a granola bar when he heard his stomach growl. Jungkook always brought out this side of Yoongi with ease and it warmed Hoseok's heart to see. 

Once all four were ready, Hoseok locked the apartment door behind them and they began the short trek along the icy sidewalks to the park. The streets weren't empty, but thankfully they weren't as busy as they'd been before. Yoongi had an arm placed securely around Jungkook's waist anyway, simply to serve as an extra precaution. He knew he wasn't the strongest of the four, but he'd give anyone hell if they tried to mess with Jungkook again.

The walk to the park was silent, and while it wasn't necessarily an awkward silence, there was still the tension of all that had transpired hanging over all of their shoulders like a dark rain cloud. 

Yoongi was worried for them- as a group. While their three original hybrids weren't exactly the most sheltered, they'd never quite experienced something so traumatic before, and Yoongi had no clue how to address it. He assumed Hoseok felt the same way, but he hadn't had an opportunity to discuss it with him or Namjoon yet seeing as none of them wished to leave their hybrids' sides at the moment. He couldn't help but wonder how Jungkook was really feeling, but he didn't know how beneficial it would be to bring it back up out of the blue so soon after it happened. He wasn't sure if Jungkook needed time to sort out his thoughts or if he needed Yoongi to intervene and help him work it out.

All of this was new to Yoongi--in fact, the past few weeks had been entirely new to him. He'd been seeing each new hardship or slip-up as a positive learning experience for himself and the rest of their small group. However, he had a hard time twisting this around in his head. Perhaps it would make Jungkook more receptive to Jimin? Maybe this would help them bond and become close friends. Yoongi knew it probably wasn't worth Jungkook experiencing something outrageous in order for the two hybrids to connect as he's sure it would have happened naturally in time, but he was having a hard time seeing the upside.

Only once Taehyung and Hoseok started jogging ahead did Yoongi realize they'd made it to the park. He followed behind at the same leisurely pace with Jungkook by his side, heading for a bench overlooking the large field of grass yellowing from the cold. Jungkook and Hoseok often took this route when they went for jogs together, doing laps around the field before continuing along into the park. 

Yoongi sat himself comfortably on the very edge of the bench and allowed Jungkook to stretch out with his head in the human's lap. Yoongi watched with a small smile as Jungkook's tail kept twitching in an effort to find a comfortable position before curling up over his stomach. The bench was a perfect spot to warm up; despite the cold breeze, the sun shone down on the field strongly and provided some nice heat for any exposed skin. Jungkook seemed perfectly content to take a brief cat nap while Hoseok tossed the ball to Taeh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter