Chapter 2

Enigma

When I first heard his voice, it sent shivers down my spine, although I would never admit such a thing. Sure it was cold out, but having something so rich and bassy in tone reverberate throughout my eardrums sent a different shiver down my spine. 

Pleasure.

No, not ual pleasure, but the kind of pleasure you feel after watching a really good movie, or when the latest novel you've been reading has the perfect ending. More of an intense feeling of satisfaction, if you will. However, when I heard his voice that night, I freaked out. Not only had it been the only UNEXPECTED voice I'd heard in the past 5 months, but I'd gotten so used to being alone out on the dock that it minded my brain to even think about the possibilty another human may have been out here with me. "WHAT THE ?!" I screamed, and swung my now useless lamp towards the presence sitting next to me. I felt my weapon hit it's target and heard a loud "OUCH." Instantly, I felt bad for hitting the person. Although I had just met him, and, for all I knew, he could be a serial killer, I had a feeling that if he had meant any ill-harm, he probably would've gone through with it already. "I'm sooooooo sorry." I said, apologizing quickly and trying to dig in my purse for the extra set of batteries I always carried with me, just in case the lantern went out. "Yah! You said hello!" I scoffed as my fingers finally landed on the batteries, which had been tucked all the way at the bottome. "Well, MAYBE, Mr. Surprise, you shouldn't just sneak up on crying girls in the middle of the night. PLUS I WASN'T EXPECTING AN ANSWER!" I yelled at him in informal language, hoping he was, in fact, my age or younger. He muttered something under his breath as I reached for the lamp, inserting the backup batteries and flicking it back on. As the warm light pooled over us, I shielded my eyes. When I felt it was safe to face the brightness of the lantern, I removed my hand and saw the guy staring at me, holding his arm where I had apparently struck him. This might sound stereotypical for a story like this, but I truly was taken aback by what I saw. The guy was tall, around my height (which is saying something because im 5'10"), and he had dark brown hair that looked almost like he spent way too much time styling it in the morning. He had full, pouty lips, and his eyes were the most beautiful things I'd ever seen, dark brown, almost black, orbs that were tucked attractively under thick, dark eyelashes. The boy was sitting with his legs crossed in a childlike manner, the way kindergarteners are told to sit at circle time. We both stared at each other for a few moments, taking one another's faces and appearances in. Then he smiled. It was a gorgeous smile, all teeth and rectangular in shape, causing his eyes to scrinch up at the corners. Unconsciously, I smiled back at him, and then, for what seemed like the first time in a very long time, I laughed. The feeling I got from that one chain of giggles is probably the most relieving thing I've ever felt. It was as though I'd been holding in a breath for my whole life and, at last, I had finally been able to release it.

As I laughed, the boy laughed with me, an octave or two higher than his speaking voice, but so undoubtedly HIM. It was as if I had known him for centuries and, as though I had finally realized my situation I abruptly stopped. When he noticed I had stopped laughing, he glanced up at me from where he sat, a curious look on his face. "You're not going to...kill me...right?" I said reluctantly, and that just made him chuckle. "Nah." He said, smirking at me. "If I was going to kill you, I would've done it earlier." That's what I had figured, but if he had been here 'earlier' how much of my afternoon escapade had he listened in on? As if reading my mind, he added, "don't worry, I only came out here as the sun was setting." Yeah, like THAT made me feel any better. It meant he had heard my ugly, choked sobs, and all in all, had learned more about me in the course of a few hours than my own family had in the last year. "I'm Taehyung." He said, and stuck his hand out. A childlike glimmer flashing through his eyes. Still wary about the whole situation, I took his had cautiously. "Azalea, Lee Azalea." I answered. "Well it's nice to meet you~" He said cheerfully, and glanced at my guitar. "I um...heard you playing." I swore I saw him blush a little but, but I couln't have been sure in the lamp's glow. "It was really good." He added, and twiddled his thumbs. "Do you play?" I asked, scolding myself for continuing a conversation with this stranger. "Ah~ Yeah I do~" He said, and picked up the instrument. Usually, if so much as a fly lands on my guitar I get pissed, but seeing it in Taehyung's hands felt oddly, RIGHT. Like the guitar belonged in his hands.

As he started playing, I hummed along, recognizing the song instantly. He had begun to play 'Blackbird' by The Beatles. I sang along softly, and when the song had ended, I cleared my throat. "So uhm...how old are you?" I asked, not wanting the air between us to grow stale with the lack of a conversation. "I'm 20." He replied, and began adding little adjustments to the tuning of my guitar. "How about you?" He asked, looking up at me. "I'm 17." I answered, and he smirked. "YAH THEN HOW DARE YOU SPEAK TO ME IN INFORMAL LANGUAGE~!" He shouted, but somehow I knew he was only joking. I laughed and countered, "well you DESERVE it for scaring the out of me!" He laughed at my serious tone and put the guitar back down onto it's former place on the dock. After he had finished laughing, he stuck his tongue out at me, which, in turn, made me laugh, and soon enough we were doubled over, practically holding onto each other to keep from falling off of my half of the dock. 'Well here I am, sitting with a stranger I met only a little more that 15 minutes ago, laughing my off on the dock my first love and I discovered.' The statement I said in my brain sounded totally bizzare, and much like something you would find for a plot in a chick-flick. As I wiped my tears out of my eyes (ones that had formed from laughing so hard), I realized this had been the first time since Jungkook's disappearance I had laughed this hard, let alone at all. Although I was pissed about him interrupting my alone time and making me lose any and all idea of the prospect of 'stranger danger', I felt the urge to thank him, and so, I did. "Thank you." I said, as we both sat, closer than we had been before, trying to catch our breath. "For what?" He asked, looking up at me, his face red from all the laughter. I cleared my throat, preparing myself for the answer I was about to give.

"For answering me."