Hairstyle

At Home (Requests ver.)

[Drabble request: in their teenage years, Donghae got a hairstyle he hated for their upcoming debut. Hyukjae tries to comfort him.]

Hyukjae frowned as he heard a stifled cry when he arrived at the salon for his haircut appointment. He looked around and saw a guy on the waiting room couch. He was lying face down, his face buried in a cushion, and he had a bunch of rollers in his hair. After a few seconds, Hyukjae recognized him and got closer to him.

"Donghae?"

"Go away."

"Did something happen?" 

"I don't want you to see me."

"Why?"

"Just go away. Go!" Hyukjae approached his friend. He crouched down on the side of the sofa.

"I can't leave, I have an appointment," he said softly.

Donghae stayed silent. A few seconds later, he sniffed. "I hate it. I hate this stupid hair."

Hyukjae felt his heart clench at the sound of Donghae's trembling voice, but he didn't say anything.

He had seen him cry before, but he never knew what to do. He looked around for something to make him feel better. All he saw were mirrors and that was exactly what Donghae wanted to avoid. He suddenly remembered he had a small tissue box in his backpack and quickly searched for it until he found it. 

He felt nervous, he didn’t want to upset his friend even more with his words and he really wasn’t confident at comforting people.

"Hey... don't worry about it. We're all gonna all have weird hairstyles at some point." 

"But I told them I didn't want wavy hair. Why do I have to accept everything they want? It's so unfair."

Hyukjae clicked his tongue.

"Come on, sit up."

"I don't want to."

Hyukjae grabbed his arm and pulled him until Donghae gave up and sat up, finally showing his face. Hyukjae sat beside him and tilted his head, examining him. Donghae whined.

"It's horrible." He hid his face in his hands. Hyukjae immediately lowered them and Donghae stayed still while looking at him. Hyukjae took a tissue and gently wiped it across his friend's cheeks, drying his tears. "Everyone’s gonna hate it."

"It's not like that. This is not the final look, it’s gonna be great."

Donghae sighed, tears still falling down his face. He slowly leaned down to rest his face on Hyukjae's shoulder. Hyukjae put his hand on his thigh and they sat there in silence.

"Lee Hyukjae?"

Hyukjae had to stand up to be attended to. Donghae looked up at him.

"See you later." He handed him the tissue box.

Donghae nodded. 

Almost half an hour later, the hairdresser was just adding the finishing touches to Donghae and he would be ready.

Hyukjae was still sitting, his hair was being cut and styled after being washed. 

At one point he looked in the mirror and was surprised to see Donghae sitting behind him, hugging his legs, even though he was done. His curly hair partly hidden beneath his hoodie. Hyukjae looked at him until Hae raised his head and they looked at each other through the mirror. 

Hyukjae tilted his head to one side with a frown, silently asking him what he was still doing there.

“Hold still, please,” said the hairdresser.

"Oh, sorry."

Donghae just shrugged his shoulders and they continued to stare at each other for several seconds. Donghae was the first to look away, resting his head on his knees.

By the time Hyukjae finished, it was already getting dark. And Donghae was still there.

Hyukjae thanked the hairdresser and went straight to Donghae, who was tightly holding the tissue box Hyukjae lend him. 

"Let’s go?"

Donghae nodded and they both walked out into the street, to the bus stop, neither of them said a word.

It was a bit chilly, Donghae had wrapped his neck and part of his face in a big scarf. Hyukjae cleared his throat.

"So... You still don't like the haircut?" 

"Of course I don't. I look stupid."

"You think?” Donghae pouted. “Well, I like it."

Donghae was silent for a few seconds.

"You do?" he asked softly.

"Sure! It looks good on you,the color is nice too."

God, Donghae loved to receive compliments. They arrived at the empty bus stop. 

"Don't I look like a seven year old?"

Hyukjae laughed. He couldn't stop himself from giving him a hug.

"Who told you that?"

"The hairdresser..." Donghae again had tears in his eyes. 

The last thing he wanted was to look like a little kid, and Hyukjae was hugging him so tightly, he was feeling emotional all over again.

"It looks good on you, I promise."

Donghae felt his heart warm. They slowly broke the hug.

"You really like it?" 

Donghae looked at him with those sparkly eyes and Hyukjae already wanted to hug him again.

"Very much. Seriously, you look great."

"I... I like your new hairstyle too."

Hyukjae laughed. 

"It's almost the same as my normal hairstyle, I don't know what took so long. I was expecting spiky, white hair, something like that." He smiled broadly at Donghae, making him laugh. Hyukjae felt incredibly relieved.

"I'd love to see that."

Hyukjae lightly ruffled his hair.