Trouble sleeping

At Home (Requests ver.)

[Prompt: Hyukjae can’t sleep at home as he’s worried about his mum’s condition. Once he’s with Hae, he managed to sleep.]

 

Donghae watched as Hyukjae smilingly talked to the radio program staff in their waiting room. A couple of times a yawn escaped from his lips as he spoke, but he continued as if it was nothing. 

Donghae approached the couch where Hyukjae was sitting. Hyukjae looked at him and raised his eyebrows, waiting for him to speak. The woman he was talking to stepped back to give them privacy. He tilted his head to the side when he saw that Donghae didn't say anything.

“What is it?”

"Oh, uhm... well, nothing."

Hyukjae laughed.

"Okay, then."

"I just thought you might wanna rest for a while?" 

Hyukjae lifted his shoulders.

He hadn't slept well. In fact, he couldn't be said to have "slept" as such, and truth be told, he didn't want to sleep.  He was anxious, he was worried about his family, he needed to keep an eye out for anything that might happen. He didn't even feel sleepy, at least his mind was active, but his body was starting to ask for a rest.

They looked at each other for several seconds.

You look exhausted.

I can’t sleep.

I'm worried about you.

Hyukjae yawned again. This time, he didn’t try to hide it. Donghae smiled at him before turning to look for a cushion. He put it down near his face and Hyukjae took it.

"I'll wake you up before we start," Donghae said.

"But what if I..."

"I'll be here the whole time. If someone calls, I'll let you know right away, okay?"

Donghae spoke gently. As always, his presence made Hyukjae let his guard down. He rubbed his eyes with his hand.

"You promise?" said Hyukjae softly. Donghae nodded. Hyukjae slowly made himself comfortable on the sofa. He smiled as he felt the younger's hand caress his shoulder firmly for a few brief moments. He was beginning to feel his eyelids heavy. “Say you promise.”

“I promise,” whispered Donghae.

Closing his eyes, Hyukjae didn't have to wait more than ten seconds for that mental swaying to finally induce him to sleep.

Donghae sat next to him and watched him for a while, until he was sure he was sound asleep. He rested his head on the sofa and took his phone out of his pocket to pass the time.