Part 6

Petals
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yook Sungjae’s POV

 

I stood by the door, staring at the unconscious girl lying on the hospital bed. Color started to come back on her cheeks and skin. She was close to waking up. But I know it’ll take time.

 

Especially when I know she wants to escape to everything.

 

"Eunji-yah... It’s been three days and your love has not come. Everything in this world is becoming boring... There’s still no reason for you to wake up... But oppa really misses you..." I mumbled before giving a kiss on her forehead.

 

Caressing her hair, I noticed a tear fell from her eyes.

 

"Are you dreaming about what happened that night? I’m sorry oppa couldn’t come sooner to save you. But hang in there okay? You can come back when everything’s alright..." I whispered. "Who knows? It might be sooner than you think it will..."

At that last statement, I heard the door opened and eomma walked in, hand in hand with Minki.

 

"Oh, Sungjae! You are on your break?" She asked.

 

I nodded my head, "Neh eomma. Don’t stay in the hospital too late. The visiting hours are moved an hour earlier tonight. They’ll be checking the rooms for facilities."

 

"Okay... And Sungjae-yah..." Eomma called me back, "Come to our house this week. Let’s celebrate your birthday, okay?"

 

"No, we do--"

 

"No buts! Your dad wants to celebrate it okay? If you are busy, we could celebrate here in the hospital, if you want."

 

"But eomma..."

 

"Come on! Eunji would really want to celebrate it with you..."

 

I didn’t press anymore. She won’t even agree anyway...

 

Eunji and her mom were really nice. I guess they are the most kindhearted people I’ve ever met. And I don’t understand how they were able to accept me when I couldn’t accept myself when I’m in their shoes, to be honest.

 

I am Mr. Jung’s son on his first wife. When they got their divorce, I was kept in with my mom. I was a part of the past of my father. But when he got another wife and another family, their family accepted me with open arms. Those were the moments I wished I just stayed with my dad from the start. My stepdad was nowhere near nice and my mom often neglected me. I never felt loved… except when I am with them.

 

Eunji was my half-sister. And the fact that I don’t have any other sibling before but her, I became so close with her.

 

And seeing Eunji lying in the hospital bed right now, it was really painful for me to see. If only I got there sooner than intended. If only I was able to protect her… If only…

 

No one knows what has happened to Eunji. No one was able to think of a reason why she was there in the dark corner of the town. No one could even grasp the information on how she ended up lying on that cold hard floor, full of scratches and wounds on her body.

 

No one knows…

 

Except me…

 

         Well, even I do not know how she ended up that way…

 

         But I know someone did it to her.

 

Flashback

 

“There’s a patient in Room 032 that needs to be checked up at 4 PM later, Dr... The director said to let the patient undergo ultrasound—Wait for a minute…”

 

I excused myself and answered the phone. Eunji was calling me so I assume it must’ve been serious.

 

“Hello, Eunji-yah? Why are you calling?” I asked through the line. I heard sobs from the other line, making me conclude that she is indeed crying.

Why is she crying?

[Oppa… It h-hurts…]

“Eunji-yah, where are you?! What happened?!”

[N-naeun… I al-ready t-told her oppa. It hurts… I r-really love h-her oppa. But the w-way she looked at me earlier, it w-was like I am a s-stranger to her. It h-hurts so much oppa…]

“What? Look Eunji, where are you right now? I’m coming there…”

[I’m in Orchard s-street…]

“Okay, wait for me there. Don’t go anywhere! I’ll be there in fifteen minutes!”

 

I didn’t hear her respond any more as I sprinted out of the hospital and into my car to look for her. Why is she there? And above all, what happened? I kind of hunched that Naeun won’t like my sister back… but that’s too much.

 

After parking my car in a corner of the street, I started to run into the streets, hoping to see Eunji from the people walking around.

 

And I did find her…

 

I saw her falling down, hitting her head in a metal chair that was out in the sidewalk before collapsing on the floor.

 

And she didn’t move, like a lifeless body…

 

End of Flashback

 

         I never told eomma about my phone call with Eunji. I never told a single soul because I don’t want them to worry…

 

         I know that it was not a simple accident or what. I know someone did it to her…

 

But at the same time, I didn’t want to tell the police or what. Knowing that Eunji’s going to be okay is enough for me.

 

Besides, I want Eunji to rest. I want her to sleep peacefully for a while... before she can go back to reality. The reality that the one she loves never loved her back...

 

"Hyung!!!!" The loud scream made me turn my head and by the doors of the hospital and I saw Taemin walking in with a girl following him behind. I don't have to say anything because everyone must've known that it was her, Son Naeun.

 

         What took her so long?

 

"Taemin-ah..." I called, as they approached me. "Why are you here, it's too late already..."

 

He panted before gesturing to the girl next to him, "This is Eunji's best friend, Son Naeun."

 

The girl bowed to me politely but I just looked back at Taemin, "You didn't answer my question."

 

He rolled his eyes before speaking, "We would want to visit Eunji..."

 

"We...?"

 

"No, Naeun wants to..."

 

I ignored them and just walked away, "Visiting hours are over. Just go home."

 

I didn't get to walk farther because I felt soft hands holding my wrist, stopping me from taking even

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter