Part 4

Petals
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Part 4

 

Son Naeun's POV

 

English period and here I am in my seat, my mind is drifting somewhere else. Specifically to the girl in class 2… Actually, lately, she’s been occupying my mind. It was weird. I mean, yeah, I think of her from time to time. I’m always wondering if she ate her lunch or if she got into trouble with her homework but that’s about it before. Right now, my mind’s a complete mess. Her eye smiles started occupying my thoughts. Even her simple actions make me feel weird.

 

Everything was being weird when I’m around Eunji unnie lately.

 

And it all started that night…

 

Flashback

One Week Ago

 

"Should I be your girlfriend, unnie?" I asked when I didn't get a response from Eunji unnie.

 

She didn’t say anything and just glanced at the starless sky outside her window. She has that solemn expression, the expression she always has once in a while. I’m not really sure but it was the look she gives every time I mention Taemin oppa. I know she’s worried about my feelings. But I never really asked her about it.

 

And right now, I want an answer to that question.

 

“Eunji unnie…? Is there something wrong?” I asked.

 

She nodded quickly, before glancing back at me, “You know what’s sadder than not reaching the stars?”

 

I shook my head.

 

It was those rare moments that Eunji unnie will be serious like this. It was her most vulnerable state that she rarely shows. I’ve seen it only twice. And she suddenly being vulnerable like this, I know she’s thinking of something so deep.

 

I guess that’s one thing I marveled about her.

 

I can never read her thoughts. I never had the slightest idea of what runs on her mind most of the time.

 

She’s like a closed book, a book I badly want to read the pages.

 

And when I read some, the next chapter becomes so unpredictable that I want to start from the top once again.

 

“Isn’t it sadder to not see the stars? Sure, it’s a sad story to not reach something you want to have. But not being able to see it for the rest of your life? It sure is sad… I’d rather see a star from afar, and not reach it. Rather than not seeing it at all…” She mumbled in her soft voice.

 

I linked my arm on Eunji unnie’s and rested my head next to her shoulder, “Unnie… Are you sure you’re okay?”

 

“Yeah, Naeun-ah… I just want you to know, you are just like the star to me. I’m happy to see you happy. Just please… don’t ever leave me. I don’t think I could ever take it… It would hurt… Just as much as losing the love of my life…”

 

With that, Eunji unnie stood up.

 

“Naeun-ah… About your question earlier… Should you be my girlfriend?” She released a grin, “Ask yourself about it. If I ask you to be my girlfriend, would you even say yes?”

 

“Unnie—“

 

“Don’t answer that. It’s not like I like you anyway. You’re my little dongsaeng, right???” She messed my hair before giving another of her cheeky smiles, “Well then I’ll be going in the living room and sleep. You stay here and rest. Goodnight, Naeun-ah!”

 

“Goodnight… unnie…”

 

End of Flashback

 

That scene is still giving uneasiness to me. And I can’t read Eunji unnie’s expressions. Does she like me? Does she not? What does she mean?

 

Ah!!! Eunji unnie, you’re making my head hurt!!!

 

“You okay?” My seatmate, Sooyoung, asked me.

 

I shook my head, “I’m really confused right now…”

 

“Why?”

 

“Well, I had this friend. And that friend of mine is constantly popping out of my mind each second of each day. Why’s that?”

 

She giggled, “Well, you must’ve liked her then… Now, why don’t you go now since the lunch break started? You don’t want your EUNJI UNNIE to wait for you right?”

 

“Eh--?” How did she know that it was a HER? And why does she have a weird smile upon mentioning my Eunji unnie's name?

 

She gestured to the girl standing by our door, her eyes on the clock and the other on her hair, fixing it. She’s wearing a long-sleeved white blouse and a black skirt that actually looks good on her. And she actually dyed her hair, a shade of brown with red highlights. It looks good on her.

 

She looked up to me and showed her usual eye smile.

 

Except that everything seems so different at that time.

 

She was drop-dead breathtaking beautiful.

 

“Your best friend is really beautiful, isn’t she?” Sooyoung added, giving me a wink before pushing me to the door. She seemed to be excited about something or what.

 

 

And being a normal clumsy person, I tripped over nothing and fell…

 

On Eunji unnie’s arms…

 

And I stayed there, staring at her face that actually looks so perfect at that moment.

 

“Naeunnie, are you okay?” She asked worriedly when I didn’t say anything.

 

“U-unnie…?” I breathed out.

 

She chuckled before helping me stand up straight. She suddenly held my hand tightly, dragging me out of the room. My heart was beating faster and faster as each step towards the cafeteria sounds so inaudible.

 

What are you doing to me, Eunji unnie?

 

We arrived on the cafeteria without me realizing it, and I found myself sitting across Eunji unnie, next to Taemin oppa who’s asking me what my food…is

 

 “Naeun, hey… Are you listening to me?” Taemin oppa asked me suddenly, shifting my attention to him. “What are you thinking about?”

 

I just shook my head, “Nothing oppa. Just being stressed out for the exams…”

 

“Oh yeah, that’s right! I’m getting crazy too because of it.” Taemin oppa winked at me before calling out my best friend, “Hey Eunji! Are you being stressed out for the exams too?”

 

Eunji unnie turned to us with a confused look, “Wait… There are exams…?”

 

Taemin oppa just face-palmed before I giggled, finding Eunji unnie so cute doing it, “Unnie, the exams are already a week away. Don’t tell me you didn’t even start studying yet~”

 

She just shrugged, “I could ace it without studying anyway…”

 

“Pfft… Smartass…” Oppa muttered before chuckling.

 

By then, a short girl approached us. Well, Eunji unnie. It’s not my first time seeing her though. She’s Yoon Bomi of class 3. But I didn’t know she’s friends with Eunji…

 

“Uhmmm… Excuse me, Eunji-ssi?” she asked politely on my unnie, “Do you mind if we talk for a bit?”

 

Eunji unnie, being the usual nice girl, nodded immediately and gave her a wide smile.

 

“What’s the matter, Bomi-ssi?”

 

The girl looked at me awkwardly before signaling unnie to talk outside. Eunji unnie just nodded before glancing at me and Taemin.

 

“Go to your rooms right now. Lunch is almost ready. I’ll see you later Naeunnie?” She gave me one of her last smiles before walking away with the cute girl.

 

“Lunch was almost finished? How come I didn’t realize it?” I asked Taemin oppa frantically and he just chuckled as a response.

 

“Yeah… We finished our lunch half an hour ago. You were just zoned out into space all the time…” Taemin oppa said.

 

“Ah! I must’ve looked stupid then…”

 

He shook his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter