Part 1

Petals
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Part 1

 

Jung Eunji's POV

 

"Love is like a game of tug-of-war.

The more you keep holding on,

The more it hurts..."

 

It has been three years since I became best friends with Son Naeun. We've known each other for twelve years already. And we are both eighteen years old. We are becoming adults. We are now growing apart. Though an enormous part of me says we would soon grow apart from each other. And that's something I never want to happen.

 

Three years ago holds a special place in my heart. Because that was when we've become best friends... That was the moment I fell in love with her.

 

Flashback

Three Years Ago

 

"Jung Eunji-ssi...?" someone called me out from the door of my classroom. All the heads of my classmates turned to the door as I do and met the eyes of a pretty brunette standing there. She seemed to be uncomfortable with the attention so being the nice and smart girl of the class, I stood up and hustled to her, grabbing her hand to god knows where. She hates attention. And for the past nine years of my life, I knew that.

 

We ended up in the school's library. There are barely a few people in here. Most have classes. And well, the library is not somewhere kids would hang out, anyway. Unless you are a bookworm. Or a geek.

 

"Son Naeun-ssi... Is there something wrong? Why did you call me in my classroom?" I carefully asked her.

 

Everyone knows Son Naeun on our campus. She's drop-dead gorgeous and with those eyes, anyone can fall in love with her. Though I never really take notice of the gossips since I've known her for a long time. We've been classmates in elementary and been seatmates in middle school. However, we barely spoke. I don't know why. Maybe because she's too timid. And I'm too friendly. Not a delightful combination for people, I guess.

 

"Uhmm... That's... Because... hmmm..."

 

A chuckle escaped my lips.

 

Even after nine years, I guess Naeun is still nowhere comfortable with me. I find it cute actually... I have a few admirers here and there before. And I always find the shy ones cute.

 

And I REALLY REALLY find her cute.

 

I don't know, but I felt something was changing.

 

"Naeun-ah... You can tell me. I don't bite!" I joked. "Besides, I'm known as the school's sweetheart anyway. You can tell me anything!!!" I even smiled widely, giving her reassurance that it's okay. I didn't even realize that I called her name so casually.

 

She bought it. A slight smile formed on her face.

 

"It's just that... My mom tells me to invite your family over for a small dinner. I was wondering if it will be okay. My mom was pestering me nonstop, it's getting annoying..."

 

Giggling, I slowly patted her head and nodded, "Don't worry, we'll go. I'm assigned to cook for tonight, anyway. That's a pleasant way to get out from all the work!"

 

She nods. But then I noticed that she was still uneasy about something.

 

"You still have something to tell me?" I asked.

 

She immediately shook her head.

 

I didn't buy it.

 

"You can tell me, Naeun-ssi... You shouldn't be too shy around me. I mean, we've known each other for nine years already!

 

"That's the thing... We've known each other for a long time... You still call me so formally," she spoke, a little quietly.

 

"Sorry, I didn't catch that."

 

"Call me Naeun-ah... Just like what you did earlier... I like it..."

 

I blinked.

 

"W-what did you say...?"

 

She finally looked up to me, "Eunji-ssi... Can we be friends...? Like friends friends?"

 

End of Flashback

 

It was Son Naeun who first asked to be friends. But at that moment, I really saw her differently. I don't know how... I just find her cute for the first time. But the moment she looked into my eyes, she was breathtakingly beautiful.

 

She was so beautiful that she took my heart easily that way.

 

And never returned it ever since.

 

"Eunji-yah!!!!!" A loud scream takes me out of my thoughts as I felt someone tapping me on my shoulders. I turned around and saw Bang Minah with a wide smile on her face.

 

"Oh, Minah! What are you doing here?" I asked.

 

She raised her hands, revealing two lunch boxes she's holding, "Let's eat?"

 

"Look Minah---"

 

"Arasso~ You don't like me that way and you are so in love with your gorgeous like a goddess best friend with the name of Son Nae--"

 

"Yaahhhh can you please not say that out loud?!?!?! If someone hears you, you are so dead!" I screamed, covering with both of my hands. Seriously, I need to be cautious around this girl. She was always screaming my secret out loud every time.

 

After a minute, I let her go. And she was pouting so badly.

 

"Come on Jung Eunji. EVERYONE as in EVERYONE knows that you are hopelessly in love with your best friend." She pointed out, even taking both of her arms out wide to emphasize what she's saying.

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"Jung Eunji, ever heard of that statement? He loves her. She loves him. Everyone knows. Except them. Dude, that's basically your storyline!"

 

I just rolled my eyes and messed her head, "No, I haven't heard of it. And for your information, she doesn't even see me is a woman. She sees me as a sister. So basically she doesn't love me that way."

 

"She still loves you." Minah pointed.

 

"Sometimes I really don't know if you like me or what. You always push me for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter