Part 3

Petals
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Part 3

 

Son Naeun's POV

 

We are only halfway for our project, and it's already 7:30 PM on my clock. I really thought earlier that I'll be having an impressive time; however, after hearing everything from Taemin oppa earlier about Eunji unnie, I couldn't even think straight. I want to know why Eunji unnie barely tells me about all of this. She could have told me I would listen. I could have asked her too, and she would tell me. I guess there are a lot of things and wasted times in the world. We only realize what we miss when it had effects on us.

 

"We have to finish this tonight. Are you okay about staying late?" Taemin oppa asked me kindly.

 

I nodded and faced the laptop once again, typing down words that make little sense anymore.

 

Eunji unnie was in her room all the time. I saw her once or twice, but that's it. She blew me a flying kiss and a fighting sign. But I never really get the chance to have a conversation with her at all. I guess she doesn't want to interrupt me and Taemin oppa.

 

Yet, in that moment, all I wanted was to spend time with her... and talk to her.

 

It was kinda a weird feeling, actually.

 

We always see each other. Why do I want to be with her when I am next to the boy I liked for a year now?

 

The doorbell suddenly rang, making both me and Taemin oppa to look up. Eunji unnie quickly ran out of her room to the door and that got me so confused. Why does she seem so excited, or rather frenzied, by the doorbell? Who is it anyway?

 

A minute later, Eunji unnie came back in, next to a short girl who looks so cute. They were both standing awkwardly next to each other. Taemin oppa seems to enjoy the scene as he put his arms together and grinned to the short girl.

 

"Taemin-ssi..." the cute girl spoke out in his cute voice.

 

Taemin oppa held his hand out and gave the girl a wave of his hand before greeting her, "Hey, Chorong noona!"

 

"Ahh, so you guys know each other. Well Chorong-ssi, the girl next to my stupid cousin is my best friend, Naeun. Naeun?" Eunji unnie gave me a look and smiled, "This is Chorong unnie. She's a college student, though she's such a baby--"

 

She didn't get to finish what she's saying because the short girl wrapped her arm around Eunji unnie's neck. She smiled sheepishly at us before dragging Eunji inside her room.

 

I never thought Eunji unnie has another friend she's close to.

 

Well yeah, Eunji unnie and I are best friends. Then again, Eunji unnie was a social butterfly. She's close to everyone too. Even to Minah unnie when the latter likes Eunji unnie so much. She's so nice that I'm not sure how many friends she really has.

 

And there was me, who only has her.

 

It's not that I don't have other friends...

 

But Eunji unnie is the only one who can break my walls down. It just takes her eye smile to make me feel better.

 

I always have admired Eunji unnie. We've known each other since I was five? Six? I don't really know. We've been in the same places, but I only got the courage to actually talk to her back three years ago. That was the time I asked her to be my friend.

 

Why did I ask her to be my friend?

 

Because she was the one who always helps me every time.

 

Flashback

Ten years ago

 

I was in the playground, on the farthest corner, crying because I just lost my favorite teddy bear. My dad bought it for me on my seventh birthday, I promise to myself that I will never lose it. I sleep next to it every night.

 

And now it's gone...

 

Its name is Mr. Whoppers, and now Mr. Whoppers is gone...

 

I cried even harder at that thought. My teddy bear. Where is my teddy bear?

 

My eyes are blurry from crying, but I stood up and started searching for Mr. Whoppers again.

 

"Mr. Whoppers? Wh-where are you?" I called out.

 

I didn't get to walk away anymore because I tripped on a rock. I didn't bother standing up ever again. Mr. Whoppers is long gone...

 

"Gwaenchanha?" A young girl with a weird accent suddenly walked over me. She has a worried look in her eyes as she saw me sitting on the ground, dirty from the dust and mud.

 

"M-mr. W-whoppers..." I cried out.

 

She seemed confused by what I said. Still, she ignored it and offered me both of her hands. I didn't take it though.

 

"You're Son Naeun, right? I'm Jung Eunji. We're in the same class together since two years ago!" She introduced before taking my hands and helping me stand up. Though I am standing, she didn't let go of my left hand. "Come on... I didn't see your Mr. Whoppers but I guess I can make up for it!"

 

The tiny kid dragged me back to the middle of the playground and by the bench she went to; a white fluffy stuffed toy was resting.

 

She let go of my hand before taking the fluffy thing and showing it to me.

 

"This is Mashimaro but I call it Moshie~ We look alike, don't we?" She suddenly closed her eyes and pouted and indeed they look alike.

 

She suddenly placed the toy in front of me and wrapped my two hands around it, "You can have Moshie now, Naeun-ah~~ Take care of it, arasso? I'll be going now!"

 

With that, the little girl went home.

 

Flashback

Six Years Ago

 

"Naeun-ah! Do you have your homework? I heard Mr. Lee is a monster when someone didn't do her homework!" My classmate, Irene asked me frantically, "I left my homework at home! Darn, I'm so dead!"

 

", I forgot about it too!!!" I screamed.

 

Great, since when did I become this dumb???? Ah...

 

I frantically took a paper in my bag to actually try doing my homework, but the odds just have to be mean to me.

 

The bell rang, and our teacher walked in with his usual mean demeanor. It worried me as he started collecting the papers.

 

When Mr. Lee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter