Part 10

Petals
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Part 10

 

Son Naeun's POV

 

"Dreams, that's where I have to go

To see your beautiful face anymore

I stare at the picture of you

And listen to the radio..."

 

         Three weeks since then. I never saw Eunji unnie ever again. She came back to school, yeah, but it seems like she doesn't want to see me again. I can't blame her. Why would she even believe me? Why would she trust me again? Should I be trusted ever again?

 

That night still bugs my mind up until now... and the more I think of it, the more I miss Eunji unnie. I can't even last a week not seeing her eye smile. In the three weeks that have passed, I don't know what happened to me.

 

My studies got worse. If before, I can manage to pass the tests. This time, I can't even get it right. Something's weird though... When our quizzes were given back by the teacher, I saw that I passed.

 

And when I saw the paper, I obviously know who did it. The handwriting says it all.

 

"Taemin-oppa!" I whispered/shouted.

 

He turned his head and faced me with a what?-look.

 

"Why?" I asked, referring to the test paper.

 

He just grinned before mouthing a later which made me groan. Guess I have to wait later for it...

 

"Okay class listen up! The music festival is coming closer. Each class needs to have one participant for it. It will be in pairs and our class is paired up with class 2. So who wants to sign up for the music festival?" Our homeroom teacher asked the moment he went inside.

 

I just ignored him and went to sleep on my desk. I'm not interested in it.

 

Well, I was not... until he spoke.

 

"It was Jung Eunji who will join in their class by the way..."

 

At that statement, the classroom erupted noise. And most of it came from the boys.

 

"Wow! It was Jung Eunji! Isn't that the cute girl from class 2?! Son Naeun's pretty best friend?!"

 

"Yeah! She's quite popular in school too! She's a sweetheart. And Kibum-ssi and Minah-ssi even like her! She must be someone special!"

 

"That's it! I want to partner up with her!"

 

"No dude, I'll be the one participating!!!!"

 

I didn't take the noise anymore. So I stand up and looked directly at our homeroom teacher.

 

"I'll be participating, sir!"

 

That led everyone silent. I guess they are waiting for me to say that it was a joke. Sadly, it's not.

 

I'm not letting those erted guys even spend time with Eunji unnie...

 

The silence would've gone on forever... if it weren't for Taemin oppa's slow clapping.

 

"Waaah Naeun-ah~ Is that what love can do to you? Nice progress, Naeun-ah... Nice one..." he muttered.

 

The classroom started to be filled with murmurs with that. I didn't care anymore as I approached the teacher and he gave me the piece that we will sing.

 

"It is Eunji-ssi that picked the song. You don't mind it right?"

 

I just nodded and left the room. That's the privilege of joining the music festival. You can only come to the classes that you want. When you don't want to go to class, you can just excuse yourself and go practice. As for me, I don't want to stay in that hell anymore, so I just directed my path to the practice rooms.

 

The things I do for you, Jung Eunji, really...

 

I looked at the music sheet. And it was titled as Petal.

 

And with that simple title, I remembered everything that has happened three weeks ago.

 

That sad night that I almost lost her...

 

 

Flashback

 

"Hope

Hope there’s a conversation

Where we both admit we had it good

But until then

It’s alienation I know

That much is understood..."

 

         I back hugged Eunji unnie tightly. I don’t want to let her go anymore. I can’t take seeing her retreating back ever again. If she ever will, I’ll really break down.

 

I can’t stand seeing her walking away from me... like that afternoon.

 

I’m scared that if she walks away, it would also mean she’s walking out of my life.

 

I can’t let Eunji unnie out of my life.

 

I may be selfish but I don’t think I can live without Eunji unnie anymore.

 

I was always dependent on Eunji unnie. I always hold on to her every time so I won’t hurt myself. I can’t believe that that is what makes her hope... If only I know back then.

 

If only I’ve known about it earlier...

 

"N-Naeun-ah..." she spoke it out in an exasperated sigh. I know what that sigh means.

 

"H-how can you say you l-love me, Naeun-ah... It’s Taemin that was always in your mind 24/7. It was Taemin that you always speak of. It was always Taemin... And not once it was about me..."

 

I heard her release a soft sob before continuing, "You love that guy too much... that you can’t see my love for you. Naeun, w-why are you doing this to me? How can I even assure that it was really me?"

 

She tried to break away from my hug but I just held her hand, not letting her go just like that.

 

"I love you, Eunji. Ever since weeks ago, I realized how much... that night when I stayed over in your apartment, I started seeing you in a different light. Should I be your girlfriend then unnie? I asked that to you, right? That moment, I really didn’t understand myself for asking such a ridiculous question. But trust me, I know I wanted to be your girlfriend at that very moment. And when you asked if I will even say yes, I would’ve Eunji unnie... My crazy self would’ve answered yes... Everything changed at that moment."

 

"The next few weeks after, everything was different for me. I must’ve seemed weird and strange but I’m just not used to it. I’m not used to thinking about you all the time. I’m not used to feeling weird next to you. I’m not used to spacing out because of thoughts of you. I’m not used to staring at you and daydreaming about you. I’m not used to feeling something about you because you are my best friend."

 

"Then Eunji... you... You confessed to me. And I was so confused because it was not supposed to happen. You were gone for three days and I can’t think straight... Knowing you got into an accident almost made me crazy. I don’t know what I’m feeling towards you... And if it weren’t for Minah unnie, I wouldn’t even realize how much I love you. Seeing you lying there on the bed, I realize how much I don’t want to lose you..."

 

"Eunji unnie, I was about to go crazy right now, so please believe me. I really l-love you Eunji unnie... Please give me a chance... I beg you, Eunji unnie" I didn’t realize that tears were already pouring from my eyes... as I slowly let go of the hug. Still, I didn’t let go of her hand.

 

Eunji unnie has teary eyes too. And she was looking up in the sky, hoping that it would stop from pouring.

 

It didn’t. No way that the tears would stop.

 

"N-naeunnie..." she called out once again. She wiped the tears away.

 

She slowly pulled away from my touch and walked a step backward.

 

"Naeun-ah, I’m s-sorry... I can't... So please let me think about it for a while. Let me d-decide... so please wait for me..."

 

With that, she ran away...

 

Again.

 

End of Flashback

 

I'm ready to wait for Eunji unnie... But three weeks have passed by... I don't know if there's something to hold unto anymore...

 

I walked over towards the music room when I heard a faint sound of the piano playing. It was a simple song... but I know deep down what song it was.

 

And who is singing it...

 

"Damn girl you do it well

And I thought you were innocent

Took this heart and put it through hell

And still, you’re magnificent

I, I’m a boomerang

Doesn’t matter how you throw me

Turn around

And I’m back in the game

Even better than the old me

But I’m not even close without you"

 

The song continued on and on and I stayed there, listening to the singer as she poured all her emotions...

 

The lyrics hit me hard. Eunji unnie is the sacrificing kind. She would stay there, and she will continue cheering you on, even if it hurts her. I don’t know how many times I may have hurt her. Maybe a million times already. I can’t even imagine what hell Eunji unnie lived through every time I mention Taemin oppa.

 

The song gave me time to reflect. And that reflection made me realize how much I don’t deserve her.

 

Eunji unnie has the best voice I’ve ever heard. But I never appreciated it so much before. Maybe because my mind was full of Taemin oppa this and Taemin oppa that.

 

I keep looking for Taemin oppa when the best person for me was just next to me, waiting for me to look at her the way I look at someone else.

 

And no matter how hurt she was, she would come back and smile at me.

 

I understand if Eunji unnie is tired now...

 

But I just hope for one last chance. Just that, I won’t wish for anything else anymore.

 

"Naeun-ah..." Someone called me out. Soon, Taemin oppa was already standing next to me. Glancing through the glass windows, I saw Eunji unnie stopped playing the piano.

 

"You love her...?" Taemin oppa asked, well it’s more of a statement actually.

 

I nodded. No point denying it. I really love Eunji unnie. And I’m more than ready to scream it out to the world.

 

"But they said you like me!" I ignored his remark and stared intently at Eunji unnie instead, "I like you. I love her. That’s two different things..."

 

"Waahhh~ It really took you a long time to notice huh?"

 

I raised my eyebrow, "What do you mean?"

 

"I know when someone likes someone, Naeun. When I found out that Eunji loves you, I went out to know about you. And it took me some observation to see the way you look at Eunji. It may not be obvious but you always look at Eun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter