Chapter 20

Guardian

Jonghyun awoke to a pungent smell of grass and stone after a thunderstorm. It was hard to move and where ever he was lying wasn’t very comfortable, it felt cold, rough, clammy, and wet. On top of everything else, his head felt like it was run over by ten trucks. Wincing once, his eyes opened and it took him a few minutes to get his eyes to focus and look around. The first thing he noticed was that he was in prison of some sort; he was surrounded by many cells and in each of those cells was two or three guardians. Jonghyun looked around, he wasn’t in a cell, his wrists were chained to the wall, and so were his ankles. “Ugh…W-what in the world?” he muttered a little drowsily. He heard the door open and close then and a low chuckle resonated through the walls as the mysterious figure approached him. “Well, now.” The figure said coming up to him. It was a guard, and by the looks of him he seemed unusually sinister. “I knew that the king’s guardian had a son, but to have him actually here in my little dungeon is a bonus for me and to think you’re a guardian to that nobody of a boy.” Jonghyun perked up then, “y-you b-better not have done anything to Kibum…” He panted out. The guard looked at Jonghyun and said, “Kibum…so that is his name…I forgot. He is nobody important after all. Poor thing, hehe, he had wanted a guardian for so long and nothing…he should’ve stayed like that; alone. What I want to know is how you, a vampire clan’s heir got to be his guardian?” Jonghyun narrowed his eyes at the guard; it was obvious that this guy was behind everything that was going on. He looked at the guard and said, “It’s none of your business, things don’t always work out the way you want them to, and besides I chose him.”  The guard eyed Jonghyun and it was then that the vampire noticed that the guard’s eyes began to change color and he began to show a different side to himself, “You know I really do not appreciate you talking back to me, boy” Jonghyun released a hiss and growled at the guard. The chains and cuffs around his wrists rattling and clinking against the wall. The guard walked up to Jonghyun and harshly lifted his chin, “perhaps I’ll make you personally deal with your precious Kibum.” Jonghyun bared his fangs at the guard he wasn’t going to let this guy harm Kibum.

                       

                        Key, Taemin and Changmin were running around town asking people if they’ve seen their guardians and unfortunately for them, no one had seen them. In fact, most people seemed to be just as worried about the guardians as the other boys were. Many people who they talked to said that their guardian’s mysteriously vanished as well. This intrigued the human’s more, so it wasn’t just Changmin and Taemin that had experienced this. As they continued walking, Key stopped to think, “Hold on, this is getting strange. If the entire kingdom is having issues, then why hasn’t the king looked into this?” He wondered. This gained Taemin’s and Changmin’s attention, that was true. If this was happening all over the kingdom, some one would’ve reported it to the king, right? Key looked to Changmin, something clicked in his head. “Take me to where Onew heard that sound, Changmin.” The older arched a brow, “You have some nerve bossing around your elders like that.” The older said in teasing sort of voice as he began walking toward his destination. Key rolled his eyes, “You’re teasing me at a time like this, sounds to me like you don’t really care about happens to Onew.” Changmin stopped in his tracks, “Kibum, it doesn’t matter much to me about your situation, but never insult my bond with Onew, ever.” Key didn’t seem to be phased at Changmin’s reply. However, he still muttered a soft, “sorry.” Changmin sighed and continued to lead him to the alley way.

 

When they arrived to the alley way, Key took a look around there wasn't anything out of the ordinary, an alley was an alley. Sighing, he was going to look around a bit more when Taemin said, “Hold on, hyung, let’s go into the alley.” Changmin arched a brow, “why?” Key thought for a moment, why would they go into the alley way? Key looked around the area; it was then that he noticed something. He never really noticed it, but every street was divided into sections and the alleys ended and started each of these streets. Why was there a need to have so many alleys? “Why in the world would an alley way not meet a dead end?” Changmin wondered. Taemin thought about it and then he replied, “Well, I’ve heard that these alley ways used to be look out posts for guards. Minho told me that during hard times or catching a criminal, the guards would be standing out here and guarding the streets to keep an eye out on the town and block any paths of escape.” The three boys stood quietly then it was as if they all had an epiphany at the same time, “guards!” they exclaimed at the same time. “So we can assume that a guard is behind this?” Changmin said a little doubtfully. Key nodded, “It makes sense. Guards are usually the first people that the citizens report stuff to and then they transfer that information to the king.” Taemin then stepped into the alley way. “Then where does the alley way lead?” He wondered as he continued travel deeper into the area. Key and Changmin followed the younger boy and soon they turned right into a long passage way.  It seemed like each one of the alleys connected to this passage way. The three boys walked along the passage to see where it led. Through the opening from the alleys they could see that they were passing by the markets and a lot of the taverns, it seems as though they were passing by every single part of town until they were walking into a woodsy area that seemed to be turning in a circle leading some where else. Changmin carelessly looked up at some point and stopped making the other two boys stop as well. “What’s wrong hyung?” Taemin wondered. Changmin pointed upwards to make the others look up. In the distance stood the palace and it was then that everything made sense. “Of course!” Key exclaimed. “Now it’s even more evident that a guard is responsible for this. Guards stood outside blocking the alley ways, according to Taemin. Then Onew, Minho, and Jonghyun disappeared around these alleys which would make it easier for the guards not to get spotted and it makes sense as to why the king wouldn’t know about these happenings because one of those guards isn’t telling the king anything.” Changmin looked at the path ahead, “lets get going.” He wore a look of determination. The other two nodded and they proceeded to follow the passage.

 

Jonghyun couldn’t remember when he fell asleep, but when he woke up again, he found himself tense. The door was opening and a figure stepped in. It wasn’t the guard from earlier; this stranger was cautiously stepping in. Growling, Jonghyun bared his fangs, he was not going or doing anything with out a fight. It was then that the stranger took off his hood and revealed himself. Jonghyun’s eyes widened, “f-father!” The older vampire was just as surprised to see his son chained up to the wall. “Jonghyun? What are you doing here?” The older quickly walked over to his son as if he had just found a missing person. “I-it’s a long story, but you need to hurry and tell the king, the guardians that have gone missing are locked up in here.” Jonghyun’s father arched a brow and said, “Did you come here just for that?” Jonghyun shook his head, “n-no I’ve been in town for a while, I was a temporary guardian.” The father looked disappointed and upset, “Temporary? You either are one or you’re not, but we don’t have time for this I expect a full explanation when this is over.” Jonghyun nodded, “yes father.” The older turned to head back to the entrance, “I better go and report to his majesty what’s going on. Jonghyun, you need to keep your cool watch over these other guardians.” Jonghyun nodded, “I understand father.”