Chapter 19

Guardian

Jonghyun gulped and said, “w-well…i-its something like this….the whole thing about me being your guardian…it was a bet.” Key’s attention went to the vampire immediately, “W-what?”

---

Jonghyun gulped, “Listen to me before anything else, Key, please.” He said the last part with a pleading tone. Key was to shocked and speechless to say anything so Jonghyun took that as his moment to speak.

 

“To tell you the truth, I never wanted to be anyone’s guardian at all. I wanted to be free, to not be tied to any human. Then Minho and Onew showed up at my door. They told me about you and naturally asked me to be your guardian. I refused, but they told me that they wanted to see you happy, and it turned into a bet from there. After that, all that I thought about was to win the bet, but on my own free will. To be totally honest, I forgot all about the bet up until today because of another feeling. I realized what was while we were at the cabin…I love you, Key…”

 

                        Key was just as silent now than when Jonghyun started. “well, Key?” Jonghyun spoke up a little nervous. Key was upset there was no doubt about that, but he enjoyed having Jonghyun with him even if it was a bet. But now he heard Jonghyun’s feelings for him. He had to give Jonghyun an answer, but he himself didn’t know what or how to answer the vampire.

 

                        “I-I don’t know what to say to you Jonghyun. I am upset that you chose to place a bet on me rather than come yourself. I mean I really thought you were here because you wanted to change things and actually cared, but I guess I thought wrong. As for your confession, there’s a part of me that wants to hit you, but, at the same time, there’s another part of me that wants to accept your feelings.” Key said as he found his voice again. He was slightly shaking, from anger or sadness he didn’t know which one. He wasn’t good at confessing or telling someone his feelings, but at this point he didn’t know if he should be happy or cry. His voice was void of any emotion.

 

                                    “S-so…” Jonghyun started. Key looked at Jonghyun, a hurt expression coming over his face, “I need you to leave…I need time to think…” Jonghyun nodded, he shouldn’t have been so surprised and yet he was stunned. Without another word, Jonghyun left Key’s room and then proceeded to leave the house. Key collapsed on his knees and sobbed into his hands.

                       

                        Minho and Taemin split immediately to find out what happened. Taemin went to Key while Minho went after Jonghyun. “Jonghyun wait, what happened?” Minho wondered as he caught up to the older vampire. “I told him to the truth, about the bet and how I feel about him and he said he needed time.” Minho smiled a little helplessly at his friend before replying, “I probably would too. That is a lot of information to take in all at once, so obviously he’s going to need sometime to sort his feelings out. Don’t worry, you two made your bond so it should be fine.” Jonghyun’s silence made Minho uneasy, “You two did create a bond, right?” Jonghyun slowly shook his head, “n-no, we didn’t” Minho’s eyes widened, “Why the hell not! You had so much time to connect with him!” Jonghyun’s shoulders slumped and he shook his head, “Please don’t forget who we’re talking about.” When Minho was about to answer a soft noise came through the alleyway, the two vampires covered their ears, the sound was very hypnotic and it hurt their ears. They wanted to move, to get out of the area, but the sounds vibrations made them freeze.

                       

                        Jonghyun couldn’t stand anymore and collapsed to his knees, his vision blurring before going black. “J-Jonghyun!” Minho called out before he experienced the same symptoms. Just before he collapsed, he muttered, “T-Taemin….”

 

                        Taemin jumped out of is seat in the dining room next to Key. They had just finished talking about what happened when something happened. It felt as if Minho just disappeared. Key looked at the younger and wondered, “What is it?” Taemin gulped and said, “M-Minho…our bond it’s….gone…” Changmin’s eyes widened, ‘another one?’ Key froze, first Onew now Minho, it was strange Key suddenly felt an empty space grow inside him, that emptiness felt very familiar. This is what he felt like before Jonghyun arrived. “J-Jonghyun…” Key muttered a little sadly, he knew whatever happened to Minho, the same thing happened to Jonghyun. Key stood up and looked at Taemin and Changmin, “let’s go and find them.” The other two looked at Key who seemed to be more than determined all he could remember thinking was, ‘I will not be a lone weakling, I will find them…even if it was a bet, I will not let his efforts go to waste.