Chapter 16

Guardian

By the time that the two humans packed everything, it was already dark and most of the people that were once outside were now in their own homes preparing their dinner. However, the guardians were on alert, something felt off and with what Jonghyun witnessed the previous night he was not ready or prepared to handle these brain washed guardians and in all honesty, he didn’t want to deal with them, but something told him that sooner or later he would need to deal with them.

            The next morning, they were ready to go on their vacation. Key was still hesitant, but Jonghyun’s encouraging tug on his arm helped a little. Onew and Changmin met them at the gates, “You won’t come with us Onew hyung?” Minho asked. The other vampire shook his head, “No, Changmin and I will stay here and look after the house. We will also keep an eye out for those brainwashed guardians that have been keeping everyone on edge.” He explained. The others nodded in understanding, it would be best to have a pair stay behind to observe what was happening in the city while they were out. Key was starting to feel unsure again, but he had to go, he accepted after much persuading. Changmin noticed Key’s worry, he called out to him and tried to comfort the younger, “You’ll have nothing to worry about, Key. Relax and enjoy your vacation, you’re in good company.” This somehow relaxed Key, but not for long. When the group left the gates and safety of the city, Key tensed. He needed to at least try to relax; he was going on a vacation, after all.

            Meanwhile, back at the city, Onew and Changmin were making their way home when the vampire stopped abruptly. Changmin turned around to face his guardian, “Onew, what’s wrong?” He questioned. Onew was listening; he thought he heard something like a growl or a low hiss somewhere within the city. The way the sound vibrated it seemed hypnotic. “Onew.” Changmin called out, louder this time. This brought Onew out of his trance, “Changmin? What happened?” The human looked around feeling the area was not safe, “come on, let’s go home.” Onew nodded and continued to walk next to Changmin. He intertwined their hands together. Changmin gave a gentle squeeze to Onew’s hand; he knew that Onew was confused, disoriented, and maybe a little frightened. When they arrived home, Changmin sat Onew down on the couch. He didn’t like what was happening; this seemed to match what Jonghyun and Minho were talking about, the crazed guardians that attacked them. “Onew, I’ll stay home, I can’t leave you alone.” The vampire nodded, his hands trembling slightly.

When the group arrived to the cabin, they all released a sigh of complete relaxation, Jonghyun smiled, he loved being at his cabin it was a great place. The cabin was built into a tree, facing a large lake. “Well come on, lets drop off our bags inside we can go swimming after.” He said opening the door. Jonghyun took Key to his room, “I’m sorry that there is only one bed in here, this used to be my room whenever we came here, so I hope you don’t mind. I can take the couch downstairs.” Key shook his head, “n-no its ok. I don’t want you to have to sleep on the couch; it’s not fair to you.” Jonghyun smirked, “then I guess we’ll have to share the bed.” Key’s eyes widened, “w-what? I don’t think that’s a good idea.” Jonghyun chuckled, “I was teasing you, Key. Don’t worry about it, you can have the room.” Key looked at Jonghyun, he was teasing him? That was something friends did with each other. Jonghyun left the room and went down stairs and began to search for something in the kitchen. Key set his bag down on the ground and looked around, it reminded him of his room in his own room back home. He sat down on the bed lost in thought, so many things have happened within the past few days. He met Taemin and Minho that wanted to stay with him and be friends with him. Then, out of no where Jonghyun comes to him, telling him that he was his guardian and then he proceeded to ask him to be his guardian. Now here they were on a vacation.

After the four boys got settled in their rooms, they went outside and were splashing in the lake, all except for Key. Jonghyun looked at Key and got out of the lake his clothes were clinging to him from swimming in the lake, “come and join us, Key.” The younger boy shook his head, “It’s ok, I’ll watch.” Jonghyun took Key’s hand and lead him into the lake, “Key, trust me, I’m your guardian.” Key didn’t know if he could trust Jonghyun, but at this point Jonghyun has proven that he was serious about being his guardian. Jonghyun stepped backward into the lake taking Key with him, “trust me, I’m right here.” He heard Jonghyun say as they got deeper into the lake. Key was too lost in thought to realize that, but he suddenly felt that if Jonghyun’s says that it’s ok, then it was ok. Key looked at Jonghyun and got into the water with Jonghyun. “There, that wasn’t so bad, right?” Key nodded and the two swam together in the lake.

            The boys were having a good time swimming and relaxing at the lake. Key felt a lot better. He had time to himself, and was able to rest properly and not worry about work, which he enjoyed. However, there was something that Key was thinking about and that was Jonghyun. He was being very kind and genuine; this gave Key a sense of safety and security. Ever since Jonghyun became his guardian, Key has been happier; happier that he has made some friends, and happier that he has finally received a guardian, and not just anyone, but the guardian that he was wishing and hoping to get ever since he was young. Key completely forgot about trust and about his anger, he was happy to be with Jonghyun and he was happy with his life. He hoped it would always be like this and that it wouldn’t end. He was also feeling something else toward Jonghyun, it started after Jonghyun saved him from the crazed guardians, he felt something different and it brings butterflies in the pit of his stomach. He gets nervous around Jonghyun and blushes when ever Jonghyun says something to him or even looks at him.

            Back in Coldstone, the king was making his way to his room to turn in for the night, his own guardian walking next to him. “So, tell me, has your son found a protected yet?” The king wondered. The vampire smiled a little sadly and replied, “No, he’s being stubborn, he says he wishes to be free and not have to answer to weak humans. I know that humans aren’t weak, but he hasn’t been in contact with humans at all and I wish that he would forget his stubbornness and at least try.” The king nodded, he knew of his guardian’s son’s thoughts of humans and he must admit, he was a little hurt, but at the same time, he couldn’t blame the vampire, if he has never interacted with a human before then of course he might think differently of them. “Well I’m sure he’ll come around, but we need to discuss some more important matters, like the vanishing guardians.” The king said now turning serious. “These problems have reached the ears of the palace; I would like you to do some looking around, and let me know if you find anything.” The vampire nodded, “It will be done, your majesty.” The king smiled and went into his room to turn in for the night. The vampire was now on high alert and began to survey the area, he knew one thing for sure something was definitely off.